Faawks Member 20 Member For: 13y 3m 10d Posted 11/07/13 10:22 PM Posted 11/07/13 10:22 PM I have an 02 xr6t and it has 2 rather annoying issues that I can't seem to fix. The first is the brakes, they seem to shudder every now and then, and make a weird 'burrrrrr' noise when they do it. More often than not it'll cause the abs and traction control lights to come on meaning neither are working. Anyone have any experience with this? I have already cleaned the wheel speed sensors, if anything that made it worse. The second is the idle, it's also getting drastically worse, at first it would do it a little, the revs would drop and the car would go to stall, but now it does it heaps and sometimes the revs will just keep going up and down :/ Makes it hard to take off sometimes (it's a manual) I've already changed the O2 sensor directly behind the turbo, there is another near the CAT right? I'll change that too. I'll also clean the throttlebody out but I don't think any of it is going to help, anyone else have any more information? Thanks in advance. Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
ms700 Moderating Team 10,170 Member For: 23y 8m 2d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 11/07/13 10:30 PM Posted 11/07/13 10:30 PM Search is your friend.If you placed the words "brake shudder" into the search engine, you would have come up with this: http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/3284-brake-shudder-issue/?hl=%20brake%20%20shudderSecond, idle wandering, go clean your throttlebody, and then if no good, once again, search is your friend......
Faawks Member 20 Member For: 13y 3m 10d Posted 13/07/13 12:12 AM Author Posted 13/07/13 12:12 AM Search isn't my friend because I've been searching for solutions for a while now. That thread you lead me to had nothing to do with the brakes issue I have, it was all about warped rotors. I'll try changing the front bushes like they suggest at the end but I doubt it'll do anything other than helping empty my wallet. Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
Bonjaz Legacy Donating Member 1,841 Member For: 17y 9m 25d Gender: Male Location: CQ Posted 13/07/13 12:26 AM Posted 13/07/13 12:26 AM (edited) Might be a silly question but with the brake issue, are all your rims/tyres the same rolling diameter? A bloke a while back had issues when he was running his spare, traction control/abs were playing up.Also throttle body clean fixed my idol that was all over the shop at one point in my fg. Edited 13/07/13 12:27 AM by Bonjaz 1
BRK Member 361 Member For: 14y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 13/07/13 12:53 AM Posted 13/07/13 12:53 AM Brakes - some basics. No air in the system ( for whatever reasons). Calipers are all okay - no abnormal wear in the slide pins and they have not dried out? Linings are even wearing on both front wheels ( no sticky pistons in the caliper)? Check the wheel bearings? Tyres - sounds dumb but are the front two worn evenly (same rolling radius)?Idle - Check all vacuum hoses including the one going to the brake booster (look for micro splits.) Disconnect battery for ten minutes. Test run.
Faawks Member 20 Member For: 13y 3m 10d Posted 13/07/13 05:47 AM Author Posted 13/07/13 05:47 AM Cheers for those replies. Tyres are all new and the same, and so are the front hubs. I honestly never thought about the different rolling diameters, I'll keep that in mind in the future. I'll honestly be sitting on the highway and all of a sudden the abs light and traction control light would just come on. Could the sensors be playing up? I'll clean the throttlebody tomorrow and report back, and I need to take the battery out to check on the boost solenoid so I'll reset the ecu then anyways. Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
EvilDaifu Cruise Whore Moderating Team 5,130 Member For: 21y 1m 28d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 13/07/13 07:40 AM Posted 13/07/13 07:40 AM The cause of most cases of brake shudder in our Ts is attributed to rotors being out of shape - that's why MS700 gave you the linky. Ford will generally machine them flat if you take it to them complaining of brake shudder. And that does help for a period of time but then it comes back if that's all they do. When I had brake shudder in my current ride - I replaced my OEM rotors with dba 4000 slotted rotors and Bendix Heavy Duty pads (some use Bendix Ultimate pads) - have not had bad shudder since. I had another BA previous to my current one and it really had bad brake shudder - like it was pretty close to giving your leg a workout whenever you applied the brakes But it was a company car - so had no choice but to keep taking it back to Ford for machining of the rotors. But I do suggest a new set of dba 4000 slotted rotors and Bendix pads might solve your brake shudder. Cost for me back 3 years ago was close to $400 for front pair to be done - rotors and pads. Now as always - it does not always help - there are other reasons for brake shudder. But rotor warp is a common one
Techjunkie New Member 16 Member For: 13y 4m 6d Gender: Male Location: Sth.East of MELBOURNE VIC. Posted 14/07/13 12:51 PM Posted 14/07/13 12:51 PM I have an 02 xr6t and it has 2 rather annoying issues that I can't seem to fix.The first is the brakes, they seem to shudder every now and then, and make a weird 'burrrrrr' noise when they do it.More often than not it'll cause the abs and traction control lights to come on meaning neither are working.Anyone have any experience with this?I have already cleaned the wheel speed sensors, if anything that made it worse.The second is the idle, it's also getting drastically worse, at first it would do it a little, the revs would drop and the car would go to stall, but now it does it heaps and sometimes the revs will just keep going up and down :/Makes it hard to take off sometimes (it's a manual)I've already changed the O2 sensor directly behind the turbo, there is another near the CAT right? I'll change that too.I'll also clean the throttlebody out but I don't think any of it is going to help, anyone else have any more information?Thanks in advance.Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2Your ABS and Traction light problem got nothing to do with your brakes.One or both front ABS sensors needs replacing,About your idle problem,get a new TPS unit pull your throttle body out give it a good clean replace the TPS,it should be ok.
AdamIan69 Legacy Donating Member 401 Member For: 13y 5m 12d Gender: Male Location: WA Posted 16/07/13 05:27 AM Posted 16/07/13 05:27 AM (edited) I'm with replacing your rotors. Once deformed they will continue as the steel has now been sorta un evenly heat treated. New bushes are also a good idea, as they stopped the brake shudder in my Gt. Edited 16/07/13 05:28 AM by AdamIan69
_Velocity_ Legacy Donating Member 2,768 Member For: 15y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 16/07/13 05:40 AM Posted 16/07/13 05:40 AM BAs only have one oxygen sensor. BFs have two. Don't buy a second one.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now