Your Thoughts

baxr6ute

• Member For: 16y 7m 8d

I own a 08 FG Turbo ute 6spd auto with 50k on it and have had it since Sept 09,

Being a old drag racer from way back wanted to see how good these things really are.... as Im living in far NQ I decided to take the car out in Mid Feb for a lap done 3 passes 13.80 101mph in 99% humidity the best,, thinking in cooler air should go 13.50 or so,,,,, went out 4 weeks ago in a lot cooler conditions went 13.31 @ 104mph real happy this is all on street tyres...So hear all about flash tuners went to a local Dyno man spoke to him and it done a tune for 95oc.On the dyno it went 238rwkw stock,, then flashed it went 254 rwkw drove car noticeable difference.Went to street meet all excited ,,13.40 101mph 5 passes that was the best,,,not happy would not 60 ft.. 2.38 60ft seemed like taking off in 2nd..Went spoke to dyno man took tune out drove around for a bit and put tune back in put some 98 in and tried again but this time just left in performance mode and let the car shift and it went 2.02 60ft 13.20 @ 106mph excited again went for another lap but this time I will manual shift it and it went 13.50 @102 seems like it takes off in 2nd but the dash is displaying 1st, has any one heard of similars issues?????????

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 20d

How much are you loading it up on the brake? Generally with the ZF auto box the throttle will close once you stall it up past 2200rpm (I think, could be 2000). Its a kind of self preservation mode built in to the gearbox.

Try keeping the rpm around 2 or just below and you might get a cleaner launch.

Thanks for your reply,I have tried all rpm launches in manual mode and it was all lazy,,,Stalled to approx 2000rpm and left in performance mode and let it shift by it self and it went well,,,Spoke to tuner today he really didnt have a answer but mentioned may need to tune tranny.If I put stock tune in its fine......

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 14d

Have you inspected the dyno read outs comparing stock tune to new? Could have shifted the torque around or made it less linear, so it has a higher peak power and torque but the torque isn't as linear.

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 1d

Should have more torque all round than stock. Mph doesn't add up

• Member For: 13y 3m 9d

I read that a few guys run the 1/4 in drive. I will be doing this next time as I had a bad experience in perf mode when it went into second (manual mode) and stayed there the length of the track until the rev limiter cut power and the flex plate came loose. Maybe it was the inertia that bumped it into second, I don't know.

Do you have a dyno print-out?

Raced on the weekend done 1 pass with tune in tranny playing funny buggas put stock tune went 13.3@ 103 1st round with stock tune dial in at 13.30 went 13.14@104 1.97 60 all with stock tune

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Just recently 6mths ago I had my ute flashed tuned the car is stock except for the tune and Im not totally happy with the way the tranny shifts with the tune in.For example take off from lights normal car changes from 1st to 2nd fine then you give it a quick boot and then you get off the throttle and instead of changing into 3rd it just keeps revving as if the tranny cannot keep up then it decides to change,,,sometimes when this happens I normally slot into manual mode and shift manually and its fine.When I put the stock tune in and do the same process tranny seems to keep up.Can anyone else relate to this??? Tuner says may have to flash the tranny...