How Much Power Is Your Gs Making?

mcfriz

• Member For: 12y 11m 21d

Hey all, so I sold my 03 xr6t ute and bought a new fpv GS ute. After putting nearly 3000 kms

on it I took it to the dyno to discover that despite all the hype, it wasnt even making 250 rwkw!.

Im wondering if somethings wrong with it or I just got a lemon? Any advice would be great

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 27d

Different dyno's mate!

Other shops have made similar so don't be worried.

• Donating Members

Here's a quote from another tuner.

A bit off the 4WD RWD thread :spoton: but I just tuned a 315 GS with all stock parts and ZF Auto, I found the stock figure was somewhat below what some others are quoting at 235 rwkW averaged over 3 pulls, especially considering a 335 manual made 300 rwkW on our same dyno. We do get that though as our Dynamic Test Systems dyno does produce lower figures than others on the market. However with opening the throttle fully and raising the boost to 10 psi (tapering off at 5500 to 8 psi due to fuel pump and injectors running out), we acheived another 100 rwkW to 335 at the wheels, it would have to be the largest gain from a tune only I have ever seen in any vehicle. No doubt with a fuel system, intercooler and more boost the figures from this engine are going to be impressive.

Good thing

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 10d

The utes only run 3psi stock due to having a mee restrictive exhaust than the sedans, my Gs sedan made over 300rwkw with just a K&N filter, most of the utes are around 240-260rwkw... So dOnt be too alarmed mate, nothing a better exhaust and a tune won't fix :-)

• Donating Members

What he said ^^^

It'll sound better with some more boost too. When I test drove one I was a bit disappointed with how quiet the gs ute was.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 7m 25d

Even though your peak figure was lower than your mates SS's (GS might not stay on boost long enough to make the power), the torque figure would have been a lot higher a lot sooner, eating the SS off the line.

Plus 3 psi, that's not a lot at all.

• Member For: 13y 2m 28d

Here's a quote from another tuner.

I think the "throttle not opening all the way on gs and gt's" thing is incorrect.

From memory the "80" value in the throttle setting is degrees NOT percent. They start with 10 degrees already. So 80 + 10 = 90 degrees. Which is butterfly fully open.

I think people see the "80" value and assume 80% throttle.

A tuner correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry, bit off track. Continue!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 29d

I think you will find though that the GS is set to 50 degree max throttle from the factory tune and 60 degrees fot the GT in the factory tune,that's what it shows in my software.

Not surprising they respond well with a tune when you can change those settings to 80 or 83 degrees to get WOT.

• 3 weeks later...