Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 19d
Posted

Can you unscrew the knock sensor from the block and leave it plugged into loom with it cable tied off to the side?? I want to datalog some things without any knock sensor interference and I can't even log knock sensor on my car with my xcal 3.

Will the ecu still require to see some "noise" while engine is running? Like some other makes of cars..

Will it throw a code?

Will it simply read as constant knock if it recieved no noise at all?

I understand unplugging from loom would cause issues. That's why I'm suggesting leaving it plugged in and just cable tie it off to side.

My car is an 03 xr6 turbo.

Cheers,

John.

  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Knock sensor can be turned off in the tune mate, that would be my preffered option.

Why do you want too disable it?

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 19d
Posted

I believe I'm getting knock retard due to my forgies. When I log spark I get some funny values.

I don't have access to sct software to turn it off that way. That's why I wanted to try this way.

  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Are you logging spark source?

i couldnt see it being and issuse moving the sensor as long as it didnt pick up any noise in its new location

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Cant you set knock sensor threshold, simply make it less sensitive?

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

Sorry, didnt read your post properly... No available software..Damn.

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 19d
Posted

I'll look tonight exactly wHat I'm logging.

On idle the spark goes up and down in time with piston knock.

At full noise I'm losing 5-6 degrees spark everytime.

It's worse when cold. Leading me to think it's the piston knock. I have an old atomic short. So it's a noisey bugger.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: OZ
Posted (edited)

Spark goes up and down with injector pulsewidth and RPM at idle.....I very much doubt it's knock sensor related at low engine speed.

The stock knock sensor calibration will pull as much spark as you allow it on a fairly boosted car. With the old atomic motors, I can assure you it's retarding as much as its allowed.

If you pull the sensor off the motor you will automatically get a heap more timing and if it was tuned with the ks on on the dyno then I'd be VERY careful with what you're doing.

Ps turn the music down when u go for a hack!

Edit u will need an xcal2 to log the knock retard DMR on a BA.....but I can tell u exactly what will be happening!

Edited by IH8TOADS
  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 19d
Posted

At cold start idle at steady revs my timing jumps 10 degrees every cycle almost. Never seen anything like it. Warm it's not quiet that much. Half throttle/ half boost timing seems stable. Full noise sees about 6 degrees taken out from what is commanded. I've tried logging all variables to see what else could be taking out timing and All seems fine. This is my last option. I just don't want to book dyno time just to turn off knock sensor with xcal 3.

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 19d
Posted

Car hasn't been "tuned" properly since I've owned it. So last time knock sensor was calibrated could have been 2-3 years ago. Motor is bound to be noisier now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...