Never had any say Panda I <3 Floods Legacy Donating Member 11,198 Member For: 15y 1m 27d Gender: Male Location: South West QLD Posted 08/08/11 11:17 AM Posted 08/08/11 11:17 AM Evening,Sorry if this seems like a terribly newbie(ish) sort of question to ask but past experiences have me worried. I just purchased a 2nd hand '08 FG XR6T.. Beautiful car and it was completely stock and seemed to have every box checked in the service history.However I've been having a few problems with it (That for some reason you never notice in that 10min test drive).1. The usual clunking when stepping on the clutch (which according to other forums seems to be a fairly common issue).2. Squeaking noise from cold start till the car heats up.. Which I am associating with a pulley or something.. Doesn't sound too drastic. But frequency is dependent on the RPM.3. This is the one that is worrying me.. If I give the car a bit of the boot off the lights or anywhere for that matter I tend to notice a bit of a light grinding *ksh *ksh *ksh sort of noise as the revs drop. And then even sitting in the driveway I notice it. So I had quick poke around the engine bay tonight and all oils, fluids etc seem normal.. No hoses appear to of busted connections.. But I did notice (see attached image) this little hole that looks like something screws into it.. Not sure if this is normal or what it is for that matter.. But my previous car was a WRX and it had a fair few hassles with the barometer plugs not staying in similar holes like that. Is the picture even related to the problem or am I just over reacting.Thanks,-B
GOLDIE My new toy Legacy Donating Member 5,344 Member For: 23y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: stanthorpe wine capital of qld. Posted 08/08/11 11:35 AM Posted 08/08/11 11:35 AM that is not the issue it is a mounting hole for something not fitted to the turbo motor.Ian
Henz Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag Legacy Donating Member 9,946 Member For: 18y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: Vic Posted 09/08/11 04:06 AM Posted 09/08/11 04:06 AM The squeak is the iddler puly, easy fixed. Even just dry some drylube on it first.
bossmang FREAKY Legacy Donating Member 12,441 Member For: 16y 9m 3d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 09/08/11 07:27 AM Posted 09/08/11 07:27 AM its going to be pretty dam hard to diagnose a grinding noise without actually sticking your head under the hood.
Never had any say Panda I <3 Floods Legacy Donating Member 11,198 Member For: 15y 1m 27d Gender: Male Location: South West QLD Posted 09/08/11 11:37 PM Author Posted 09/08/11 11:37 PM Yeah I've got a new idler pulley on the way.. I managed to pick that one up myself..As far as the grinding noise.. It's a weird one because I haven't noticed it again.. But my hearing is pretty bad and I think it might be more related to the air flow through stock pipes.. I was worried it might be the turbo core or something. As it was only happening cold temps so I'm thinking maybe the car hadn't gotten warm enough before I put my boot down.Thanks for the feedback though,
bossmang FREAKY Legacy Donating Member 12,441 Member For: 16y 9m 3d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 10/08/11 11:56 AM Posted 10/08/11 11:56 AM if your still worried, get a good once over by someone in QLD who knows these cars inside n out for ya. better safe then sorry. im sure there are some ppl from QLD who can reccomend somewhere.always let the car get up to running temp before sticking your boot into it anyways. I always drive off boost until it gets to the half way mark, then give it another 10 mins just to be on the safe side.
ALF05T Member 453 Member For: 19y 8m 13d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 10/08/11 10:00 PM Posted 10/08/11 10:00 PM What if you take the intake pipe off the turbo and see if there is any rubbing between the turbo wheel and housing, check the oil line to the turbo aren't blocked.It may be an exhaust rubbing against the chassis, mine does that when cold (BA XR6T).Failing that make sure all manifold bolts are tight.If your car is still under warranty I would take it to Fords.Cheers Alf.
wagnman Member 567 Member For: 17y 3m 7d Posted 11/08/11 11:55 PM Posted 11/08/11 11:55 PM Mate I had a similar sound coming from my car when I had the std turbo on it (G6ET).It ended up being teh turbo was rooted.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now