brownhornet Legacy Donating Member 124 Member For: 18y 2m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 14/05/11 10:33 AM Posted 14/05/11 10:33 AM Right - Due to my general lack of knowledge about cars I'm not 100% sure what pinging sounds like. I've heard it variously described as like marbles rattling in a can, ball bearings dropped on a tile floor etc etc.I noticed yesterday that under hard acceleration there was a sound I would describe as like a rattling chain. My first thought was that I have a loose belt or something but I'm beginning to think it may be pinging. I've flashed the car back to standard this morning and the sound is gone. My plan is to keep it standard until this tank of fuel is gone, refill with 98Ron and reload my custom tune and see what happens. Am I on the right track?
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 14/05/11 11:30 AM Posted 14/05/11 11:30 AM Yup
MercuryXr6Turbo Member 361 Member For: 18y 3d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 14/05/11 11:56 AM Posted 14/05/11 11:56 AM As Hiddeous, said... sure sounds like pinging mate! Marbles rattling round in an aluminium can is a perfect way to describe it! Could be fuel, but could be in the tune... just be cautious till you determine which it is...
brownhornet Legacy Donating Member 124 Member For: 18y 2m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 14/05/11 12:25 PM Author Posted 14/05/11 12:25 PM As Hiddeous, said... sure sounds like pinging mate! Marbles rattling round in an aluminium can is a perfect way to describe it! Could be fuel, but could be in the tune... just be cautious till you determine which it is...I think the tune is OK Mercury - tuned by the same bloke who did yours going by your sig... so that leaves a dodgy batch of Caltex 98 as the culprit..
will-82 Member 427 Member For: 21y 8m 16d Location: sydney Posted 15/05/11 12:09 AM Posted 15/05/11 12:09 AM Ive always thought Caltex fuel is dodgey in general, it's the reason I've always used bp
SuckSqueezeBangBlow ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs Legacy Donating Member 1,808 Member For: 17y 9m 16d Gender: Male Posted 15/05/11 03:02 AM Posted 15/05/11 03:02 AM BP Ultimate is the go, but I've also heard that the Mobil 98 octane is the same stuff.
Pazzo Legacy Donating Member 11,132 Member For: 15y 11m 10d Gender: Male Posted 15/05/11 03:06 AM Posted 15/05/11 03:06 AM mobile has been brought out by 7-11. don't even by milk at 7-11, will never by petrol from there either now. even if it is mobile. you will see all mobile petrol stations change there look to 7-11s. one on narre cranbourne rd all changed.
brownhornet Legacy Donating Member 124 Member For: 18y 2m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 16/05/11 10:45 AM Author Posted 16/05/11 10:45 AM out of interest - if it isn't fuel what exactly should I be looking for?
MercuryXr6Turbo Member 361 Member For: 18y 3d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 17/05/11 12:05 PM Posted 17/05/11 12:05 PM My car was tuned by another tuner before going to Xtreme, it was pinging from time to time (along with other tune issues!!! ) and I didnt know what the metallic rattle was at the time but after taking it to Simon with a full tank of BP Ultimate for the retune it runs a dream and never missed a beat since. What fuel did you have in the tank when Simon tuned it mate? As it was tuned on BP that's all I use... despite it always being the most expensive!!!
RIP_HSV HOON Member 1,636 Member For: 16y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: W.A Posted 17/05/11 02:32 PM Posted 17/05/11 02:32 PM Best bet would be to take it back to Simon and get it checked out he will sort it out mate
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now