F6 310 Vs 335 Gt Raceway

cranny

• Member For: 17y 3m 13d

That rod looks like it had a hairline fissure/crack for a while before it let go completely. Well from the discoloration on one half. Poor little thing did it's best ha ha

And that's one big gerbil wheel :roflmbo:

Yes maybe start of a crack but it would not have been long before it broke.

See how bad the casting is in the dark area, very porous.

These are the issues of cast iron, no consistancy in grain flow or partical bonding.

Just wish ford had went with a Forged rod and steel crank for the I6.

Maybe they learned the hard way and want to now put the rod problem to rest.

Its only a baby TO4z with .96 rear. was pretty good as it had beat other cars with large frame turbos.

Very good power right over rev range, made boost from as low as 1100rpm and max set 12psi before 2400rpm.

High eco of 8.8l to the 100k.

Was very happy till that plastic rod spoilt the fun.

People really need to take note why the Coyote is so much better.

Cast iron is really only good for bbq plates or pot belly stoves.

Have a Happy New Year guys and Gals, Im outa here

Photo don't do much for it.

But yes to see the grain a microscope is needed.

What I mean is by the markings and way and direction of the break

Goes you can tell the inconsistent grain pattern.

The break follows the weakest path.

I'm shocking at wording things the right way.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

LOL I am hopeless at expressing myself too. But you can see what you mean. Even where I think the fail started. And I think we are looking at a classic grey cast ??? Or is it a mallable ???? Either Iether lots of room for error and fail ha ha.

Could be a good new post for us wannabees.

Where did this rod start to fail and why ????? More detail than just a Sh&t rod.

post-33767-0-55162000-1293856808_thumb.j

Like there..... and vibtration started the fail. Heat got in and ate the graphite/silicone or whatever properties it had in it, till it had half it's initial strength.

Edited by XR09

So many things could have been the reason, only way to know for sure would be to have it

examined by a Metallurgists, Just not worth it for a $30 part.

The main thing is Cast Iron has to many inconsistancies opposed to Forged.

At this point it is just a sh*t rod and most know it.

Wonder if there is a clip on bullet proofing showing the strengths of different materials.

What would you stand behind a 4mm plate of cast iron or 2mm plate of Plate Steel, I choose the later.

Here is a You Tube link to Forging Process that may be helpful to some

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXVWiGqeltM

If Its Got To Be Tuff - Go Coyote

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 13d

Same process is used to make a Forging and a Cast Iron piece...it is just the materials used that differ...and some of the process, but it is basically the same.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

The Brinell scale characterizes the indentation hardness of materials through the scale of penetration of an indenter, loaded on a material test-piece. It is one of several definitions of hardness in materials science.

Proposed by Swedish engineer Johan August Brinell in 1900, it was the first widely used and standardised hardness test in engineering and metallurgy. The large size of indentation and possible damage to test-piece limits its usefulness.

The typical test uses a 10 millimetres (0.39 in) diameter steel ball as an indenter with a 3,000 kgf (29 kN; 6,600 lbf) force. For softer materials, a smaller force is used; for harder materials, a tungsten carbide ball is substituted for the steel ball. The indentation is measured and hardness calculated as:

b5562ea8788f05da314b34267a55f765.pngwhere:

P = applied force (kgf)D = diameter of indenter (mm)d = diameter of indentation (mm)The BHN can be converted into the ultimate tensile strength (UTS), although the relationship is dependent on the material, and therefore determined empirically. The relationship is based on Meyer's index (n) from Meyer's law. If Meyer's index is less than 2.2 then the ratio of UTS to BHN is 0.36. If Meyer's index is greater than 2.2, then the ratio increases.[1]

BHN is designated by the most commonly used test standards (ASTM E10-08[2] and ISO 6506-1:2005[3]) as HBW (H from hardness, B from brinell and W from the material of the indenter, tungsten (wolfram) carbide). In former standards HB or HBS were used to refer to measurements made with steel indenters.

HBW is calculated in both standards using the SI units as

086bbee05bfa29963f609b1460c0fa59.pngwhere:

F = applied force (N)D = diameter of indenter (mm)d = diameter of indentation (mm)

Edited by XR09

XR09

Think your talking in a different language there, but great work.

Just these guys who think the I6 is better than the coyote even though so many have tried to point out

how much better the coyote engine is. They cant grasb the basics, they defeintly arn't going to understand

what you have posted.

I dont, but I have built engines since I was 15yo and you learn that cast is ok to a point, but forged is so

much better and that its a bit of cost differance.

These days the cost differance isn't so huge.

I started working as a VW Mech back in 88 and for instance a forged moly crank was over $5000 for a vw.

a guy I knew back then from the workshop had a very quick street beetle running 11.7 NA and held the SSC bracket

for 3 years.

No way a Cast crank would survive in that engine.

The same guy went on to start up Crankshaft Engineering.

I know as I was only a youngster on low pay and building engine after engine for my own street beetle.

A hole engine would set me back a couple hundred so didn't matter if it broke, just ment I had to rebuild it.

Could not afford a Steel crank.

Dagabond what do you mean casting is similar?

From what I know the only Similarities are that both get heated to molten metal both get poured into a mould.

The cast goes into a mould that is at finished size except areas like bearing surfaces are larger so can be machined to size.

from there it goes into cooling processes.

It is as cast and not compressed.

Forging goes into a mould suitable sized for the amount of material to be compressed into its desired shape.

once it turns to a solid mass and still in a formable state it goes into the press mould where it is stamped into its desired shape.

Once again the bearing surfaces are larger for final machining.

There are other processes like magnetics and nitriting I have heard about but dont much about except it is to

get the grain flowing in the right direction and to strengthen.

Both Cast and Forging can be shot peened for added strength.