Tyre Comparo - Which Ones Are Good?

EvilDaifu

• Member For: 20y 2m 6d

JaxQuickFit in Caulfield South - nice fellas there :thumbsup:

I got some Pilot Sport 3's in 245/35/19 and they are brilliant in the dry and good in the wet. I've found I can use about 20% more throttle. If I force it to spin in the wet I get huge amounts of axle tramp which is something I've never had on other tyres. I am very happy though.

I just got some Pirelli P-Zero's at the front. Very happy they are a improvement over Dunlops in the wet.

• Member For: 19y 3m 4d

What did the F1 Mk2s cost you and where did you get them aa? :beerchug:

They came from a Jax Quickfit in Sydney.

Cost was $292 each for the Asymetrics F1 Mk2's in BA 17".

(Note - The F1 2 designation is only about a 12 point font, which is deeply molded next to the large font)

Plus $20 for the so called 'Bos Balance - Performance', a premium balance. This actually appears to be well worth the additional cost. These things are uncannily smooth.

Edited by aiboart

• Member For: 20y 11m 28d

I bought a BA XR6T a few weeks ago that had a new set of tyres fitted just prior to me buying the car, Durun F-One's in the std 235-45-17 size.

I have to say after spending the weekend running around in the damp conditions, these are about the slipperiest tyres I have even driven on.

A quarter throttle off the lights will see the traction control light flickering and the rear tyres turning effortlessly. I know the T has a bit more poke than some cars but this is crazy. Mildly amusing all the same but the wife wasn't too impressed!

Funny thing is they don't feel totally dreadful in the dry, no tram lining, no squealing through the turns at moderate speeds and seem quiet enough, but in the wet I'm far from comfortable with them.

I'd like to throw a set of 18" BA XR8 wheels on the car anyway so I think I'll wait until I get a set of them and then throw some decent tyres on the 18's. The Falken FK452 and Kuhmo KU31 seem to get good feedback for a reasonably priced trye.

My priorities are wet weather grip for the most part as I want a fool proof car for the wife to drive, followed by dry grip, wear, noise and comfort last. I've always driven smaller lighter cars that have been more stiffly sprung with tyre pressures set for performance and not comfort so a little tyre noise and actually feeling the road doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Edited by Dazz

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d

Understand totally - on the reccy run for the Mad Max cruise next Sunday week in Melbourne, the roads were wet and I couldn't believe how slippery my brand new Michelins Pilot Sport 3s were compared to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics I used to have.

• ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 3d

I have Federali 595ss in 235 45 17 and they seem to have 'gone off'.

they used to be fine (not amazing at all - these are a cheap tyre) in both wet and dry but now its like the rears have gone through too many heat cycles (impossible because I don't do burnouts), and are now almost dangerous in the wet.

time to try the kumho ku31 I think.

Edited by JC807

• Member For: 20y 2m 6d

Pilot Sport 3's are nearly about done on the back, I got them cheap so I cooked them a bit quicker than I normally would but they are the best tyres I've ever had in the wet. They work pretty well in the dry too if you get them hot.

Looking towards Nitto NT05 next in a 245/35/19. If they grip like I hear they do I'll try to see if I can get 25,000kms out of them like people in the U.S are.