b2tf Member 6 Member For: 17y 1m 16d Posted 10/02/10 09:26 AM Posted 10/02/10 09:26 AM Hi allfirst time poster, semi-long time reader of these forums, I am more active on AFF.I think most people are up to date with the dilemma of lowering and the tailshaft issues on FG utes - mine is an XR8 and an auto so I think that puts me in the prime category for things to go wrong.I have been looking into the options available for lowering my ute and have so far not even considered using Kings or reset factory springs for fear of the tailshaft losing it's lunch somewhere on the way home. The only 'kit' I have found that I have any real confidence in is the Herrod Motorsport one - Rob says that his springs are a different design and they take the pressure off the tailshaft and keep things all ok whilst being able to go lower.So, who's lowered their FG, what springs did you use, has your tailshaft gone and what did you do to fix it? I am on good terms with my dealer but they have already warned me there's bugger all chance of a warranty job if it lets go and the ute is lowered, so I'm weighing up the pros and cons of some different ways to do it.Thanks for any info.
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 20d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 10/02/10 10:51 AM Posted 10/02/10 10:51 AM I'm not sure how Herrod makes their springs, but reading their web-site they say they have reversed eyes in the leaves to lower the car. This is fine if the main leaf is new, but if its simply a genuine leaf turned up side down I can't imagine it will last long.One way of reducing the tailshaft issue would be to use diff wedges to change the pinion angle, however from what I have seen Ford are simply replacing the FG tailshaft with BF versions to avoid the issue
b2tf Member 6 Member For: 17y 1m 16d Posted 11/02/10 12:09 AM Author Posted 11/02/10 12:09 AM Herrods ones are apparently completely new - they dont use flipped over factory ones etc. A BF shaft would be nice but it seems the only way to get one is blow the current one or buy one from a wreckers.
corkey Member 35 Member For: 17y 8m 29d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 11/02/10 03:55 AM Posted 11/02/10 03:55 AM I have lowered my ute. has pedders front springs and pedders rear springs. lowered about 40mm in the front and 60mm in the back. so far all seems to be going smoothly(touch wood). ute is manual xr6 turbo
rockafellqeinstien Member 325 Member For: 18y 2m 5d Posted 11/02/10 04:09 AM Posted 11/02/10 04:09 AM I think mauals are OK - I have only heard of Auto's going bang. They use diferent shafts dont they???
corkey Member 35 Member For: 17y 8m 29d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 11/02/10 09:56 PM Posted 11/02/10 09:56 PM I sure hope so!! but im not sure??
b2tf Member 6 Member For: 17y 1m 16d Posted 12/02/10 07:05 AM Author Posted 12/02/10 07:05 AM Yes autos use different shafts to manuals. Autos are the ones that seem to have the most problems.
TUFGSR Legacy Donating Member 514 Member For: 21y 7m 17d Posted 12/02/10 08:46 PM Posted 12/02/10 08:46 PM (edited) Guys I had a BF shaft in my FG SP from factory and my car is manual. This could be due to my car being one of the early batches of SPs off the line. I have popped it 3 times so I'm guessing it's a design fault of the cars suspension geometry maybe?. I have also compared my tailshaft to the FG shaft that everyone was popping and mine had much larger cvs. A member from the ford forums got his replaced under warrenty with the unofficial redesigned shaft and it looked identical with mine (BF CVs) with the exception of using the larger centre cv on teh rear as well. Edited 12/02/10 08:48 PM by TUFGSR
xtremerus Member 59 Member For: 17y 5m 4d Location: North-West NSW Posted 31/03/10 10:40 AM Posted 31/03/10 10:40 AM Just how many std. utes ARE destructing their tailshafts. I know there is a lot of discussion on Forums about them, but it seems to me to be only few cases that are quoted.Is it THAT common, or developing into undue worry because there are some isolated cases.
ba_xr6_turbo Member 31 Member For: 23y 2m 5d Gender: Male Location: Geelong Posted 17/04/10 01:18 AM Posted 17/04/10 01:18 AM I have an fg xr6t ute zf auto... herrod lowered since 200km now has 7500km its tuned and I drive my ute hard.. no axle tramp.. no sign of tailshaft problems, my only dilemma is a horrible creek when going over speed humps ect..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now