Fg Tailshafts

b2tf

• Member For: 14y 8m 13d

Hi all

first time poster, semi-long time reader of these forums, I am more active on AFF.

I think most people are up to date with the dilemma of lowering and the tailshaft issues on FG utes - mine is an XR8 and an auto so I think that puts me in the prime category for things to go wrong.

I have been looking into the options available for lowering my ute and have so far not even considered using Kings or reset factory springs for fear of the tailshaft losing it's lunch somewhere on the way home. The only 'kit' I have found that I have any real confidence in is the Herrod Motorsport one - Rob says that his springs are a different design and they take the pressure off the tailshaft and keep things all ok whilst being able to go lower.

So, who's lowered their FG, what springs did you use, has your tailshaft gone and what did you do to fix it? I am on good terms with my dealer but they have already warned me there's bugger all chance of a warranty job if it lets go and the ute is lowered, so I'm weighing up the pros and cons of some different ways to do it.

Thanks for any info.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 18d

I'm not sure how Herrod makes their springs, but reading their web-site they say they have reversed eyes in the leaves to lower the car. This is fine if the main leaf is new, but if its simply a genuine leaf turned up side down I can't imagine it will last long.

One way of reducing the tailshaft issue would be to use diff wedges to change the pinion angle, however from what I have seen Ford are simply replacing the FG tailshaft with BF versions to avoid the issue

• Member For: 14y 8m 13d

Herrods ones are apparently completely new - they dont use flipped over factory ones etc. A BF shaft would be nice but it seems the only way to get one is blow the current one or buy one from a wreckers.

• Member For: 15y 3m 26d

I have lowered my ute. has pedders front springs and pedders rear springs. lowered about 40mm in the front and 60mm in the back. so far all seems to be going smoothly(touch wood). ute is manual xr6 turbo

• Member For: 19y 2m 14d

Guys I had a BF shaft in my FG SP from factory and my car is manual. This could be due to my car being one of the early batches of SPs off the line.

I have popped it 3 times so I'm guessing it's a design fault of the cars suspension geometry maybe?. I have also compared my tailshaft to the FG shaft that everyone was popping and mine had much larger cvs.

A member from the ford forums got his replaced under warrenty with the unofficial redesigned shaft and it looked identical with mine (BF CVs) with the exception of using the larger centre cv on teh rear as well.

Edited by TUFGSR

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 2d

Just how many std. utes ARE destructing their tailshafts. I know there is a lot of discussion on Forums about them, but it seems to me to be only few cases that are quoted.

Is it THAT common, or developing into undue worry because there are some isolated cases.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 20y 9m 2d

I have an fg xr6t ute zf auto... herrod lowered since 200km now has 7500km its tuned and I drive my ute hard.. no axle tramp.. no sign of tailshaft problems, my only dilemma is a horrible creek when going over speed humps ect..