Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 10m 15d
Posted

would this fuel act like raw alcohol and push past the rings into the oil? alcohol drag cars need to change oil fairly regularly due to the alcohol mixing with it and turning it milky right?

  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 2m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

I have just done an oil change after a few thousand on E85.

It was black as all fk after cleaning everything in my engine and not milky at all and no hint of ethanol smell in the oil.

I am going to do another change in about 5k so it will be interesting to see the color is then and I will post results.

It is recommended to run full synthetic though. I use nulon 10w40

Guest Slash
  • Guests
Posted

There are many blends of E85 out there. They are not all the same.

If anyone in WA wants CSR E85 then we stock it. We only carry ~400 litres at a time though.

PM Sent!

  • 4 months later...
  • ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 15d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

yep- since my ethanol tune my economy has worsened 1.5L per 100kms. but ethanol is 99c per L compared to $1.25- $1.45 for 98ron.

10c more a tank- 20rwkw extra....... I'm not going back! :buttrock:

I've been doing some calculations (made up an excel ss if anyone wants it) and I work out that if you have only increased by 1.5L/100kms using e85@$1 per litre then over 18000kms in a year you would be $904.5 better off if paying $1.45 per litre for 98.

  • Banned
  • Member For: 17y 2m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Aspendale, Vic.
Posted

but what happens when variables come in such ass 50% of the time full boost is been applied? and so forth! Burning @ 30% more fuel @ 1$ p/l, towards the 1.30$ p/l 98 (or 1.40 p/l 100). Meh...id still go the e85 if it wasn't my daily!

  • ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 9m 15d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

sorry I'll rephrase that, you can save $904 by using the e85 if your consumption has only risen by 1.5L/100kms.

on boost 50% of the time? that's a lot.

  • ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 4m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

we drive hard :buttrock:

  • flame magnet
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 4m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: adelaide hills- 'race air' central
Posted
:roflmbo:
  • Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 10m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

cant wait to get my hands on some of this .. (been sourcing prices).

poor poor car wont know what hit it ;)

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: OZ
Posted

BTU based fuel estimates on fuel economy for ethanol blends are not exactly correct when applied to the real world. Without pulling out scientific journal articles, there is some summary info available on-line. e.g. http://www.ethanol.org/pdf/contentmgmt/Press_Release_12507-1.pdf

I like ethanol purely because I'm an enviro scientist by trade and it has good performance & safety benefits, especially when flogging a stock BA bottomend. I'm using blends at the moment and like any other fuel the economy is mostly determined by my right foot...and the tune to some extent.

But yeah for us WA guys it's a PITA blending it yourself and it costs more than what the eastern states guys are paying.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...