Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • XR68UZ
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 8m 29d
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Hi all, I just picked up a ba gt auto and ive noticed there is a clunking/clicking sound when im turning full lock (eg to park or do u turns). it doesnt happen all the time (most of the time its there though).

any ideas what it could be?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 11m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

I've got this also, at low speed cornering I get a noticable clicking noise at a certain point and also a steering shudder which has been getting worse and more frequent as time goes on....

  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 10m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Probably above atmospheric pressure
Posted

Steering shudder could be air in the power steering lines I think?

Clunks at full lock are normal I think, if it's just you hitting the stops. Also try to avoid having it right on full lock as it stresses the power steering (so I'm told). Turn back like 5-10°.

  • XR68UZ
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 8m 29d
  • Location: Sydney
Posted (edited)

hmm just realised the car makes the noise even when not full lock. is there a way to flush the power steering fluid myself without having to take it to ford? any other possible causes for the noise?

Edited by XR68UZ
  • New Member
  • Member For: 16y 8m 13d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

My steering used to shudder at parking speeds, especially on smooth concrete carparks. Also, the power steering assistance would drop off after about 10 to 15 minutes of driving.

The solution was to add a few drops of Nulon E10 from the dregs of the bottle after adding it to the engine oil (E10 is a Teflon based engine oil additive) & after a few days, the shudder went away & the power assistance remained constant - even after an hour in heavy traffic.

I suspect that the vanes in the power steering pump stick, instead of moving freely - the Teflon film that builds up helps make them move easily.

Incidentally, I have found Nulon products work extremely well. I first used their products in industrial applications in the late 1970s ( I used to design & build custom metalworking machinery) & have used them in every car I have ever owned - you get longer engine life & about 10% better fuel economy.

I use my BAII T (auto) as my daily commute & routinely get over 500km per tankfull of fuel (unless the aircon is on a lot & it drops to about 430km) & over 600km on longer interstate trips.

One thing when using Nulon - do not use it until your engine has done at least 40,00 km or it will never fully run in - I found this out the hard way on an exchange long motor on my mini (my first car). The little bugger was slower than the old tired engine & remained tight as until I wrote it off...

John.

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 2m 26d
Posted

I get the same clunk. Mine does not have to be at full lock to make the noise.

It feels like it comes through the steering colomn.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 10m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Mine is just a click regardless of turning left or right.

Does it going through round-a-bouts & turning corners. Doesn't need to be full lock to do it to mine.

Sounds like it's coming from the steering rack / sway bar area.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 11m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

Mine doesn't have to be full lock either and sounds and feels like the steering collumn

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 6m 29d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Mine has just started doing it, it doesnt need to be at full lock but only happens at very slow speeds. I just assume the steering rack is loose, used to be a common problem AFAIK.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 6m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Posted

Ford used to put a spacer in your steering rack to stop this. Had mine done in 07 I believe, took alot of the noise out of it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...