Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 5m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

I have a BF xr6t ute and I'm thinking of upgrading the exhaust but I'm after a high flowing exhaust that is as quiet on the cruise as the standard exhaust and is not droney.

Does anyone know if an exhaust is made that is quiet and not droney.

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Castle Hill
Posted

I've only just managed to get what you're after. Problem is it isn't an off the shelf solution. I've got a single 3.5" with 2 large cylindrical straight through mufflers the mid section mild steel and the rear out of stainless (often lower a boat into the water so figured this to be the safer option). These mufflers are made up specifically for the shop so I'm not too sure if it's something one of your local exhaust place can do, but I'm sure it could come close.

I've ended up with a nice note at idle, and a slight hum on acceleration from a stand still. With normal driving however it's quiet. ie until you give it a heap and there's no denying that you've got somethin special :)

Shame you're not in Sydney otherwise I'd have no hesitation in sending you to the guys at Sureflo.

This is the second exhaust place I've been to. The first wasn't quite able to dial the drone out (and wasn't overly welcoming).

  • Banned
  • Member For: 17y 2m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Aspendale, Vic.
Posted

full APS system with a 4" dump in my car. with a gutted cat it has 91db. legal is 90. With a highflow cat it should sit on 88ish. Perfecctly legal and supports 400rwkw+

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Townsville
Posted

The Cylindrical mufflers are probably resonators. I had these fitted to my supercharged ute with twin 3in straight through exhaust. From the cat back I only originally only had the straight through mufflers on the tips and the noise was old school pop and crackle but inside the cabin was drone hell also. Then fitted the 2 resonators and all was good with a sweet sound and little drone in the cabin.

Otherwise as I wrote somewhere else try the varex mufflers or just get the butterfly itself to quiet the system down when highway cruising.

  • FREAKY
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 9m 6d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

well depends, are you wanting an exhaust to go with power up mods? if not theres no point getting one. if you do get a exhaust turbo back then u need tune. cat back no tune. dont think cat back exhaust will give you much power either. but if want a little noise taking out the centre muffler is popular choice. cant remember if it drones though. what are your plans with the car in the future, might help us help you in making a decision.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 8m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posted

I have a BF xr6t ute and I'm thinking of upgrading the exhaust but I'm after a high flowing exhaust that is as quiet on the cruise as the standard exhaust and is not droney.

Does anyone know if an exhaust is made that is quiet and not droney.

Hey, you have the same idea and problem as me. I to have a xr6t ute BF2 and want to get it flowing but the same sound as now. I had a look at the standard pipe under the car and the twin pipe from just after the cat seems pretty big for standard and I imagine it will flow enough for what I want which is just a little more power. So I was going to go for a 4"dump of the turbo to a high flow cat (think it was 5" with 3" in/outlet) which then split into 2 as normal and connected to the standard pipe. Dont know if it will actually work but im gonna give it a try at some stage if I can't find any better solution. Ill be interested to hear what you do.

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 5m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

It's the cat and stardard muffler that hold the car back. With the standard mufflers (possible high flow cat installed)the car is able to make over 300rwkw but because to exhaust is so restrictive more boost is need and the motor heat up to much reducing engine life, if you drive is hard for long periods (so they tell me).

So changing the dump pipe will help but changing the cat will properly do the same thing. I was tolled it all about changing the mufflers.

well depends, are you wanting an exhaust to go with power up mods? if not theres no point getting one. if you do get a exhaust turbo back then u need tune. cat back no tune. dont think cat back exhaust will give you much power either. but if want a little noise taking out the centre muffler is popular choice. cant remember if it drones though. what are your plans with the car in the future, might help us help you in making a decision.

At the moment the exhaust is holding the car back. The car is making a little over 300 rwkw with the normal mods injectors, cooler, fuel pump etc, I already have a high flow cat installed but the mufflers are just to restrictive. The problem is this is my everyday car I drive it to work and take it on trips away so a need a factory sounding exhaust. Removing of the centre muffler makes the car to droney. I just don't want to waste my money and buy an exhaust and it is to loud and droney.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 1m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Newcastle
Posted

If you're looking for power above 300rwkw's then I'd think you need 3.5 or even 4 inch piping. That's the easy part but when it comes to the right noise it's all to do with the mufflers and their size. I personally think you fit the largest muffler possible in the space that's available. But for flow these mufflers need to be straight through. I think one of the best systems for a ute and flow would be the 4 inch Nizpro system.

Benny

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 8m 25d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Burpengary QLD
Posted

The redback twin 2.5" I have on my sedan can hardly be heard when cruising, but get under it and the Mrs will hear you from aa fair distance then slap you when you get in the door cos she knows it been an idiot :beerchug:

Good value for money as well.

Cheers,

Ben

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...