simmo Member 431 Member For: 23y 8m Gender: Male Location: byron bay more underarm hair per square km Posted 08/08/09 09:06 AM Posted 08/08/09 09:06 AM (edited) all of a sudden my car wont make much boost ive checked all the piping the car is running an edit and cooler at 10psi now all it makes is 3 psi and under load eventually gets to 5 psi.ive even gutted the cat as I thought it was the issue cause the car feels choked.today I rermoved the boost solenoid and sprayed it up with wd40 on the way home the car made a bit more boost it actually started to spike I also removed a code saying p1228 wastegate control system failed open which hasnt appeared before it seems to me that solenoid has failed anyone heard of this before p.s. I have heard of cleaning that solenoid to restore boost? any help would be welcomed . Edited 08/08/09 09:09 AM by simmo
jacob_xr6turbo Legacy Donating Member 433 Member For: 19y 28d Location: Richmond, Melbourne Posted 08/08/09 09:12 AM Posted 08/08/09 09:12 AM broken actuator (causes it to stay open and not make boost) faulty solenoid..could also be the impeller in the exhaust housing?? some other guy had a similar problem in another thread..
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 14d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 08/08/09 10:31 AM Posted 08/08/09 10:31 AM It spiked because you've gutted the cat.
simmo Member 431 Member For: 23y 8m Gender: Male Location: byron bay more underarm hair per square km Posted 08/08/09 01:38 PM Author Posted 08/08/09 01:38 PM how can I tell if its the waste gate or boost solenoid,if it is the wastegate can I fit a 12psi one without having to port th turbo?
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 20d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 08/08/09 11:13 PM Posted 08/08/09 11:13 PM Disconnect the hose to the actuator and drive it.Just be careful as there will be no boost control.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 20d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 09/08/09 02:10 AM Posted 09/08/09 02:10 AM Get under it and see if the atuator rod has come off the wastegate arm... its held on with a circlip so might have just popped off, causing the wastegate to be open.
dezzaxr6t Legacy Donating Member 86 Member For: 19y 2m 9d Gender: Male Location: Canberra, ACT Posted 31/08/09 10:31 AM Posted 31/08/09 10:31 AM Hey,Any out come on the issues with the Boost from the first post? As I’m having the same problem with mine at the moment! Running 14psi but only getting 9psi??? I have checked all piping/bolts etc? Plus one of the above posts says to disconnect the hose from under the Actuator??? If it boosts does that mean the Actuator is stuffed? Please excuse my stupidity on this subject!Thanks Derek
ChoCCo Member 68 Member For: 18y 6m 25d Location: Melbourne, VIC Posted 01/09/09 03:24 AM Posted 01/09/09 03:24 AM I'm interested as well because im having similar problems to the first post...I've done;- Rapid's V2.0 cooler- Deleted centre muffler + hi-flow cat- Custom 10psi tune- Liquid LPG systemExcept mine is a little different. its a BA Mk1 Auto and thru first gear, it hits 10psi no problem but then once 2nd kicks in the boost drops to 4psi then jumps to 7psi and fluctuates for a bout 3-4 seconds then jumps up to 10psi again thru the rest of the gears.what my tuner told me is that it could be to do with the actuator or torque management kicking in reducing the boost to save the auto. also, the timing doesnt back off. but he reckons most likly its the torque management.in a couple weeks im changing the valve springs and a re-tune, I'll keep you guys posted with a verdict does anyone else know what it might be?also, on the Mk1's, whats the "safest" boost level I can run before I start breaking sh!t?
dezzaxr6t Legacy Donating Member 86 Member For: 19y 2m 9d Gender: Male Location: Canberra, ACT Posted 11/09/09 06:49 AM Posted 11/09/09 06:49 AM Hey guys, thought I would let you know that we fixed my boost problem!It was the cat!!!! For some reason it was mounted in the dump pipe??? And it just broke away, which then stopped the flow of pressure! Well that's what I have been told anyway!!But all I can say is the car has never ran better! Now I have a stainless steel 1000hp high flow cat on the car! I just can't believe how much off a difference a stainless steel cat can make! Other then the high flow cat I had on before!Now just a retune and I will be very happy!!Derek
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now