mattyb Legacy Donating Member 1,097 Member For: 18y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast, QLD Posted 05/08/09 09:42 AM Posted 05/08/09 09:42 AM (edited) I'm looking to buy the wife a camera since I've been spending money on the car, I am gonna get her somethin (I need to be able to use it too) that's better than the little handbag jobs. I wanna get an SLR capeable of taking HDR photographs, but slot in under $900. Here are a couple I've found, can anyone tell me which one of these is best, or make any other recomendations, or point me in the right direction. Cheers in advance.Olympus E-520 SLK - $773.00Sony A230/18-55mm Kit - $899.95Sony Alpha A350K DSLR Digital SLR Single Lens Kit (18-70mm) Black - $759.00CANON EOS 1000D KIT (18-55MM Lens IS) DIGITAL SLR - $798.00 Edited 05/08/09 09:43 AM by mattyb
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 4d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 05/08/09 10:05 AM Posted 05/08/09 10:05 AM Have a look at DPReview.It's got tests of all cameras.
Stink Senior Moron Legacy Donating Member 1,059 Member For: 17y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast..... somewhere Posted 05/08/09 10:07 AM Posted 05/08/09 10:07 AM your on the right track with the Canon Mattyb, I'm also looking for a camera myself. Old mate at work is into his cameras and said not to buy anything other than Canon or Nikon in the SLR. Apparently the others are as useful as cock flavoured lollipops
mjadeb1984 Señor Member Legacy Donating Member 391 Member For: 17y 10m 21d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 05/08/09 10:40 AM Posted 05/08/09 10:40 AM yeah mate Im a canon man but the nikon is a good camera. canon has better glass though. and the 1000d is better than the nikon entry model IMO
Superdan Well-Hard Bangin' Member Member 3,422 Member For: 19y 1m 10d Gender: Male Location: Perff, WA Posted 05/08/09 01:50 PM Posted 05/08/09 01:50 PM I sell these all day long mate, so any specific questions please fire away The Canon would be my pick out of these options. The stabilised lens is one thing I wish I forked out for when I got mine (400d, predecessor to the 1000d.) Still made in Japan so very reliable. They've got real fast processors in 'em so nice and quick. Real simple to use and come with a good easy-to-follow manual that takes you through from full auto mode to more complex manual modes. Invest in a fast memory card if you can, to fully benefit from the speed. A UV filter and a couple of effect filters are worth while too. Where did you get these ideas from? Where are you thinking of buying it from?Dan
smicky Go Pies!!! Legacy Donating Member 2,852 Member For: 18y 7m 13d Gender: Male Location: Vic Somewhere - Sometimes NSW Posted 05/08/09 05:17 PM Posted 05/08/09 05:17 PM Matty,Mate IMO #1 Nikon.#2 Fuji (depending on the model and what it is being compaired too, lower end non-SLR)#2 Canon#3 Sony/OlympusThe Olympus isnt a bad looking camera on paper, same with the Sony...For a little more $$$ Id go with the Nikon D3000 - we have had a few orders for this one since its release - looks to be the goods in the price range at the moment.I also think the Sony A350 is not EOL and being replaced with the A380 from memory...It really depends what you are planning on using it for - same as the glass yu pick.. again if you going to be doing action then are a camera with VR of some sort - or at least glass if not built into the camera.You will also need to consider the frame burst rate is doing fast moving subjects.Glass is very important when it comes to end image quality. Nikkon lens suit Nikon housings one, Canon Canon only, etc. (some offer the ability to use a ring adaptor, from the likes of Sigma etc, but when it comes to glass - Nikkon ED lens are second to none! You wil pay big $$$ for ED glass but. Most people wont need such series. - sorry MJ...Full frame - looking at $$$ again... prob not needed.As dan has mentioned - worth getting some filters.. if even you get a few clear/or uv filters just to keep the glass clean and replace it, back on when u are finished - added insurance from scratching etc.. Lens covers can and will fall off...Also agree with Dan again on the card speed... Make sure you get the correct card(s) in HS versions which suit whatever you end up with. Will help with storing the photos quicker/processing the shot, and allow for the full (higher) frame rate of whatever camera you end up with.More the happy to assist you further if needed. Pricing, advise, etc just PM me if you wish.. We do Canon, Sony, Olympus, Fuji, Kodak, Panasonic, and of course Nikon. (there might be one or two more just cant think at 3am)...
mjadeb1984 Señor Member Legacy Donating Member 391 Member For: 17y 10m 21d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 05/08/09 08:37 PM Posted 05/08/09 08:37 PM mate I think the canon Vs Nikon debate is as old as Ford Vs Holden
Mat Legacy Donating Member 2,930 Member For: 19y 5m 17d Gender: Male Location: Caracciola Karussell Posted 06/08/09 03:31 AM Posted 06/08/09 03:31 AM Perhaps for under 1K, your better off getting something second hand? Lots of better options and generally almost in new condition?Interesting enough, I looked at selling my 350D to upgrade but it worth SFA :(
mattyb Legacy Donating Member 1,097 Member For: 18y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast, QLD Posted 06/08/09 04:46 AM Author Posted 06/08/09 04:46 AM I have been looking for second hand ones too, but it seems that e-bay is only full of import ones, very little second hand ones (found 1). If anyone has a second hand digital slr on the market that can take bracketed pics let me know, Cheers.
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 4d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 06/08/09 06:30 AM Posted 06/08/09 06:30 AM I don't think Ebay is that great. I brought my 450D for less over the counter brand new than second hand ones were going for on Ebay.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now