Shaft Play!

82CNT

• Member For: 15y 5m 20d

I bough my T @33000ks and it had no play at all. It now has 52000 on it and I went to clean the boost solenoid and removed the cold pipes. This is when I noticed the play up down in and out not too much but occasionally squeeks while on idle and on shutdown even after the cool down. im assuming this is the noise. Is this really bad or just wear and tear.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill get onto that asap as I have only just been reading up on it. Its only recently been making a light sqeeky noise from time to time. I wouldnt say the play wouldnt exceed 1mm but im still pissed. Im just hoping this will not be the end of the turbo as I havent even modded it yet!

• Member For: 17y 2m 8d
How much play exactly?

1 - 2mm of 'in & out' shaft play is normal but side to side is no good. Can cause the compressor wheel to make contact with the compressor housing if it gets too bad & at high rpm, that isn't what you want :eyebrows:

Try replacing your turbo oil feed supply screen (filter) as it may be blocked thus starving your turbo of oil :)

I disagree, front to back shaft play is more dangerous than side to side play. I see turbochargers every day in various condition and the ones that have the most damage always have excessive front to back play which allows the entire face of the compressor wheel and turbine wheel to make contact with the housings which generally results in the screeching sound.

Side to side play is always evident even in brand new turbochargers, front to back play is not.

Thanks for your help fellas. Well it has both plays so im assuming it will die sooner than later. To fix or to buy a second hand one???

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 29d

yeah im in the same boat to mate.. I had a look when I pulled off my air intake and with in 10000 kms from when I had the turbo off to get flapper mod and porting done which had no play fowards or backwards.. now the turbo shaft now has play front and backward as well to the sides the turbo has done 99500kms..

anyone no a rough price it is to get it serviced or rebuilt???

Edited by CHLAXN

yeah steep hey! The thing that disturbs me is the turbo is only 52000ks old this is crap!!!

Edited by rosscoe1982

Well I figured out why I have shaft play. After noticing the shaft play better late than never I changed the oil feed line filter. Tried to blow through it and it was almost entirely blocked on a car with 53000 on it I was discraced. As many have said anyone who buys a second hand T change it asap!