Mals BA XR6T Member 381 Member For: 23y 10m 8d Location: Sydney Posted 02/09/03 03:36 AM Posted 02/09/03 03:36 AM Just thought I'd say I was surprised that someone would shell out more than 5 grand for this power.I'd be interested in other comments.My opinion is that for 5 grand I would have picked up an 8 and had it supercharged (either SV8, or XR8)There were 3 major players, APS being one, Steve's beast, and another CNC, or CNG (something like that) all asking similar pricesWhat are your thoughts?
DrewBytes Member 95 Member For: 23y 4m 6d Location: Canberra Posted 02/09/03 04:34 AM Posted 02/09/03 04:34 AM I'm not familiar with the kits you mention so I can't comment.But to supercharge a stock LS1 you'll get somewhere between 310-360kw at the wheels depending on kit and boost level. However, did you see the blown LS1 at the show that put out 444kw at the treads? BTW I reckon anything over 300rwkw for the street is way overkill.Power costs $$$, and $5k seems reasonable for a good powerup. A quarter of that price would be the supply, fit and tune of the Unichip. You've got to decide if it's worth the $ to you for the gain.
Mals BA XR6T Member 381 Member For: 23y 10m 8d Location: Sydney Posted 02/09/03 05:15 AM Author Posted 02/09/03 05:15 AM I'm not familiar with the kits you mention so I can't comment.But to supercharge a stock LS1 you'll get somewhere between 310-360kw at the wheels depending on kit and boost level. However, did you see the blown LS1 at the show that put out 444kw at the treads? BTW I reckon anything over 300rwkw for the street is way overkill.Power costs $$$, and $5k seems reasonable for a good powerup. A quarter of that price would be the supply, fit and tune of the Unichip. You've got to decide if it's worth the $ to you for the gain. Actually, I'm talking 300+ kW at the motor. Is that worth 5k?
DrewBytes Member 95 Member For: 23y 4m 6d Location: Canberra Posted 02/09/03 05:24 AM Posted 02/09/03 05:24 AM That seems a bit steep then... I thought you only needed a boost upgrade to get there? Depends on how easy it is to get them to that power level I guess.LS1 wise, $1100 for an LS1 Edit (modifying ECU for proper fuel/air etc) gets you around 225rwkw (approx 300kw+). But going further than that costs $$$, next step is cam, that costs quite a bit because you have to pull the motor, install cam, lots of labour involved. About $5k for cam, edit, and some other bits and pieces gets you 250rwkw+ (340kw+), power don't come too cheaply.
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 24d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 02/09/03 05:30 AM Posted 02/09/03 05:30 AM The APS kit (Stage 2) has bigger intercooler, injectors, piggyback computer, S/S exhaust including cat and I think a different intake manifold plus labour charge to fit and tune so it's probably not such a bad price.DrewBytes - the local APS guy reckons Unichip piggyback was better for LS1 than LS1edit, what do you reckon?
Cobra potty trained Legacy Donating Member 1,938 Member For: 23y 5m 15d Gender: Male Posted 02/09/03 05:37 AM Posted 02/09/03 05:37 AM from what little I know, generally a 20% increase in power on a large capacilty engine will cost you about $1500-$3000a 40% increase maybe cost you about $6000-$8000a 60% increase ... $12000-$15000 ...an 80% increase ..... $40000 plusthe sky is the limit .... interested to see some pricing and specifications from some of the players B)prices disclosed so far :APS PhaseI gives about 220rwkw for $1650APS Phase II gives about 280rwkw for $5650(Unichip is the best thing since a strobe timing light ....brilliant)
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 15d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 02/09/03 06:34 AM Posted 02/09/03 06:34 AM The APS kit (Stage 2) has bigger intercooler, injectors, piggyback computer, S/S exhaust including cat and I think a different intake manifold plus labour charge to fit and tune so it's probably not such a bad price.I think you will find that the APS II kit doesn't have the bigger intercooler or the different intake manifold. But you are correct on the injectors (plus extra pump), Unichip, stainless 3.5" exhaust including cat. Also included is a cold air intake.
DrewBytes Member 95 Member For: 23y 4m 6d Location: Canberra Posted 02/09/03 06:55 AM Posted 02/09/03 06:55 AM DrewBytes - the local APS guy reckons Unichip piggyback was better for LS1 than LS1edit, what do you reckon? The LS1 guys used to use Unichip before edit came along. Now only the un-informed use the Unichip. Edit can do MUCH more than Unichip, as you can adjust all the ECU parameters, not just fuel/timing etc, but remove speed limiters, adjust the speedo for diff/tyre changes and many other things that I don't know about!You're adjusting the ECU itself, why in my book is always better if it can be done - which you can with LS1. You'll probably find in a year or two you'll be able to do the same thing with the BA ECU once it's "cracked".
Guest Mr Walker Guests Posted 03/09/03 08:41 AM Posted 03/09/03 08:41 AM LS1 wise, $1100 for an LS1 Edit (modifying ECU for proper fuel/air etc) gets you around 225rwkw (approx 300kw+). Drew,Are you sure you can get 300fwkw with just edit on a stock LS1? I know you can get good gains but 25-30kw gain is all I've heard of. You're talking about a 35% increase!
Lumpen Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!! Legacy Donating Member 5,181 Member For: 23y 6m 26d Gender: Male Location: The Bogan Shire Posted 03/09/03 11:51 AM Posted 03/09/03 11:51 AM LS1 wise an LS1 Edit (modifying ECU for proper fuel/air etc) gets you around 225rwkw (approx 300kw+)About $5k for cam, edit, and some other bits and pieces gets you 250rwkw+ (340kw+), power don't come too cheaply. Makes you wonder how Reeves Callaway only gets 328KW out of his Corvette Supercar and that the C4B is an Ultra Expensive Piece of Alloy...especially for 300KW.Also assuming all this is street legal, you'd almost wonder why a Factory Tuner (Callaway, HSV etc) wouldnt indulge in Tuning over other things....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now