neo Member 376 Member For: 18y 6m 22d Gender: Male Location: The Ville Posted 02/03/09 11:54 AM Posted 02/03/09 11:54 AM I have done something to my engine BA MK I Auto its making a ticking sound had it looked at the mechanic and they want to take the engine out and I said that's not happen unless they think its the bottom end. took the tappet cover off to look at springs and and valves they all look fine. have taken the plugs out to turn it over by hand and cant fit anything there as thermo fans are there and we are not prepared to take it apart any more. so im not shore what to do I know take it to a mechanic but there all tools tell me its not a good sound one even said to take it to ford cos they will know. I have look on here and some say its exhaust leak or injectors. broken springs or bent con rod. the car idles and even drives fine just a big ticking sound. car is stock had a generic tune on for about a week and it was taken off and has been running back on stock for about 2 months fine. it has 146,000 on the clock id like to know if I was to get a rebuild what can I expect to pay im not looking to do any major mods to the car maybe just a real 8 psi tune. or should I get a replacement engine and get it put in I have been quoted about $2500 from ferntree gully. I was also told of I get a BF engine it has some new cam timing and that I will need a new icc and ecu is this true? and if I get a replacement engine what will I have to do to make it road leagle.any info would be great cheers
Guest Guests Posted 02/03/09 12:03 PM Posted 02/03/09 12:03 PM You can get a new bottom end from Ford for ~$2500 so stay away from FTG mate If it drives fine, doesn't sound like an engine failure though... Are these 'mechanics' that looked at it qualified
ravenhard Legacy Donating Member 1,517 Member For: 18y 6m 29d Gender: Male Location: Blacktown! Posted 02/03/09 12:37 PM Posted 02/03/09 12:37 PM (edited) I had this weird ticking sound coming from my engine. Somewhere near the rocker/tappet cover. Was driving me insane. I got my valve springs done recently and the noise went away. I was chatting with the guy that did the springs about it being quiter and he said is was his special little trick when putting things back togethers. I know that doesnt help but thought I would share and my engine runs quiter and smoother since he laid his hands on it. Edited 02/03/09 12:43 PM by ravenhard
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 13d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 02/03/09 02:58 PM Posted 02/03/09 02:58 PM Your description is pretty ordinary, but if a qualified mechanic has had a look and listen and he has recommended removing the engine then that's what you will need to do.Not having seen or heard your engine, it could be a spun big end bearing.Either way, pull it out and strip it down.
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 25d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 02/03/09 10:35 PM Posted 02/03/09 10:35 PM I was thinking bearings too, the engine has a few kays on it now so they may be suffering a bit...
shaneo_1 Member 108 Member For: 19y 6m 28d Posted 03/03/09 02:21 AM Posted 03/03/09 02:21 AM I had a wierd ticking in mine, no one could really tell just by listening what it was, it turned out to be the timing chain guide. replaced it and all good.
turbotrana Member 2,586 Member For: 23y 6m 2d Gender: Male Posted 03/03/09 02:59 AM Posted 03/03/09 02:59 AM find out what the problem is. A big end bearing failure is more of a clanky sound and pretty obvious. It will also get worse the more you drive. I doubt it was this unless you ran it low/out of oil.A ticking may not be so serious and a good mechanic should find it. But sometimes things are hard to diagnose for the best of mechanics.
neo Member 376 Member For: 18y 6m 22d Gender: Male Location: The Ville Posted 03/03/09 05:23 AM Author Posted 03/03/09 05:23 AM not shore what to do looking at a replacement long for about 1500 with 22,000 on it. whats a rebuild cost roughly
YPURV4 KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE, Member 2,813 Member For: 20y 4m 28d Gender: Male Posted 03/03/09 05:28 AM Posted 03/03/09 05:28 AM When I thought idd blown my engine it turned out to be a lose flexplate the sound was very tiny, and rattley, get them to check that first
neo Member 376 Member For: 18y 6m 22d Gender: Male Location: The Ville Posted 03/03/09 07:50 AM Author Posted 03/03/09 07:50 AM yeah mite be the go.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now