MICKAJ Member 245 Member For: 18y 7m 4d Posted 05/02/09 09:27 AM Posted 05/02/09 09:27 AM Hi guys,I couldn't really find a search that answered my questions so I'll just fish for them here.Every brake on my car is knackered, I'm going to replace them all in the next week. I've done brakes on other cars before but I'm not an expert and don't want to end up taking every bolt and nut off the brakes that I don't have to.So my questions are:-Whats the easiest way to get the front and rear calipers off? just release one bolt and swivle the caliper??-Incase they are weird, how do I get the discs off?-Is the handbrake a back yarder or is it a hard job as I've never taken apart this type of configuration.Thanks in advance, the answers can probably make a sticky
tpinto Legacy Donating Member 103 Member For: 17y 9m 27d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 05/02/09 11:20 AM Posted 05/02/09 11:20 AM (edited) Hi buddy, my suggestion to you is if you are not sure than dont touch them, it could cost you your life or someones else. I know its a pain and sometimes a little expensive but when it comes to brakes leave it to the professional. Brake failure is not a nice thing and I know Ive been there. the only thing that stopped me going over a 50 foot plus drop was a couple of trees. Even though you have done other brakes before they are not all the same. I used to think the same as you but I can tell you I will never touch brakes again. Edited 05/02/09 11:21 AM by tpinto
turbo.vixen Hey guys, Tab is here... Oh i feel sick Legacy Donating Member 8,459 Member For: 18y 4m 7d Gender: Male Location: sunshine coast Posted 05/02/09 11:29 AM Posted 05/02/09 11:29 AM dont play with fire or you might get burnt
MICKAJ Member 245 Member For: 18y 7m 4d Posted 06/02/09 03:01 AM Author Posted 06/02/09 03:01 AM Scratch what I said, I am sure about how to take things apart, but I wanna take it apart as least as possible.Don't plan on bleeding the fluid so the risk of brake failure is non-existant unless my caliper somehow flies out while I'm driving, thanks for the concern.
XRPete Member 673 Member For: 19y 20d Gender: Male Location: Here Posted 06/02/09 07:51 AM Posted 06/02/09 07:51 AM Its easy as. There is 2 bolts per caipler that need to come lose. The cailper lifts up. Swap the pads. Replace(Tighten to right specs) Careful of the brake hoses, don't let the calipers hang down by the hoses. The rotors will just slide off once the cailper is off. The handbrake is a pain. MIne needed adjusting before we put the new rotors on. My Mate did it and got it spot on.
MICKAJ Member 245 Member For: 18y 7m 4d Posted 06/02/09 10:32 AM Author Posted 06/02/09 10:32 AM sweet, my main concern has always been the handbrake, never pulled this type apart before.
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 11d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 06/02/09 01:42 PM Posted 06/02/09 01:42 PM Every brake on my car is knackered, I'm going to replace them all in the next week. I've done brakes on other cars before but I'm not an expert and don't want to end up taking every bolt and nut off the brakes that I don't have to.So my questions are:-Whats the easiest way to get the front and rear calipers off? just release one bolt and swivle the caliper??-Incase they are weird, how do I get the discs off?-Is the handbrake a back yarder or is it a hard job as I've never taken apart this type of configuration.First of all, what do you class as 'every brake on my car is knackered'. a. pads wornout.b. discs worn out.c. pads and discs worn out.d. brake application issues. eg. pulls to one side under braking. Front or rear locking under hard braking.e. calipers leaking.To answer your questions.1. The easiest way to remove your front calipers ( I'm assuming it's a late model Falcon) is remove the front wheels and locate the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on. Loosen and remove these both and lift the caliper free of the rotor. If a pad change is all that is required then just squeeze the pistons back into the caliper with a small G clamp or some other clamping device and fit your new pads. Refit the caliper to the rotor and make sure you use anti-sieze on the mounting bolts. Ensure you torque them to the correct torque specs also. If the rotor is to be changed just remove it and fit the new one before refitting the caliper.2. Umm weird???? Front's are a straight slide on and the backs will be very similar.3. The handbrake is no rocket science. Just make sure you pay attention to how you pull it apart. If you have sound mechanical experience you should manage.But, if you have any doubt at all, as has been previously mentioned, take it to someone who knows what they are doing.Hope this helps.
Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 11d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 07/02/09 08:07 AM Posted 07/02/09 08:07 AM Hi guys,Every brake on my car is knackered, I'm going to replace them all in the next week. I've done brakes on other cars before but I'm not an expert and don't want to end up taking every bolt and nut off the brakes that I don't have to.Uncommon for all 4 to wear out at the same time. Wear ratios of front to rear or perhaps your upgrading.I.B.
qik1 Legacy Donating Member 2,720 Member For: 18y 4m 19d Gender: Male Location: Loitering in SEQ Posted 07/02/09 08:33 AM Posted 07/02/09 08:33 AM I'm about to do the same things. My fronts are fully fruited & the rears are to the point they need facing so I thought I might as well give them all the royal treatment. goin 200kph down the 1/4 will do that to standard ford brakes. poor things. Decided to go with DBA drilled & slotted all round. I'm not silly by any means but I'm gonna get my mate who's a mechanic to oversee to make sure it all goes back together as it should. Couldnt live with myself if something happened while my wife was driving. Less importantly I need the handbrake adjusted perfectly, only thing that stops me from launching off the line when im trying to build her up on boost.Any comments on my choose of rotors??? Good/bad?
hanra Into the laaaake Member 1,532 Member For: 19y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: Nrth Qld Posted 07/02/09 08:55 AM Posted 07/02/09 08:55 AM What sort of pads are you going to go with John?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now