SIKXE8 Member 100 Member For: 18y 1m 11d Gender: Male Location: S.E Melb Posted 10/01/09 05:09 AM Posted 10/01/09 05:09 AM apart from the 10mm clearance from lowest point to the ground, is there anything else illegal about lowering a BA? I want to keep mine legal but still lower it, what can u do with the bumpstops to keep it legaloh and does anyone know if sl's(f) and ssl's or sl's®is legal?thanks all
Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 10/01/09 05:36 AM Posted 10/01/09 05:36 AM I think its 100mm and the rest I have no idea.I.B.
Worm A much better forum Legacy Donating Member 3,808 Member For: 18y 2m 6d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 10/01/09 06:13 AM Posted 10/01/09 06:13 AM Depends on your state champ... Think you can look it up on the web...
Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 10/01/09 06:25 AM Posted 10/01/09 06:25 AM Every State is always very differnet in this area, but could you really lower your car to 10mm. I think he meant to write 100mm, not 10mm was my point.Pleased your on top of it all. I.B.
SIKXE8 Member 100 Member For: 18y 1m 11d Gender: Male Location: S.E Melb Posted 10/01/09 06:26 AM Author Posted 10/01/09 06:26 AM sorry I meant 10cm lol
ENVY-T CNUTOX Legacy Donating Member 3,098 Member For: 23y 8m 23d Gender: Male Location: Not sure? Posted 10/01/09 06:30 AM Posted 10/01/09 06:30 AM Get new bumpstops or cut the first knob off the factory ones.
Maximus Member 1,627 Member For: 19y 6m 18d Gender: Male Location: Slip Sliding Away Posted 10/01/09 11:21 PM Posted 10/01/09 11:21 PM Yeah I wouldn't go cutting ANYTHING on your car if you want to keep it legal.
Sleeper6T Member 356 Member For: 18y 5d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 10/01/09 11:49 PM Posted 10/01/09 11:49 PM (edited) I checked vic roads for this a while back.http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/RulesS...rdsInformation/In a PDF doc it states:4. Ground Clearance"The ground clearance of a vehicle measured from a horitontal road surface to any point on the underside of the vehicle except the tyres, wheels and wheel hubs and brake backing plates shall, with the vehicle located in it's loaded state as specified by the manufacturer be not less than:* for any point in the width of the vehicle which is within one metre fore and aft of any axle, 100mm* for the mid-point between any two consecutive axels, the dimension in millimetres obtained by multiplying the distance in metres between those two axels by 33.33"5.Lowering or Raising of Vehicles" A vehicle may be lowered or raised, provided the clearance between a suspension component and it's assosiated bump stop is not altered by more than 1/3 of that specified by the manufacturer. in addition, the original relationship between the front and rear suspension heights must not be unduly affected.Suspension coil springs must not be shortened by cutting. If lowering blocks are used, they must be manufactured from either steel, aluminium or a metal of equivalent hardness."I saved that pdf a while back as it is a good reference guide when thinking about mods. Plus if you get pulled over is good to know and understand the difference between legal and illegal.brad Edited 10/01/09 11:53 PM by Sleeper6T
Iconic Bionic My engine bay is Bionic Legacy Donating Member 3,726 Member For: 20y 6m 10d Gender: Male Location: Freeways Posted 11/01/09 01:48 AM Posted 11/01/09 01:48 AM Sounds like an Australian design regulation and on that basis it's likely to be the same in all States.I.B.
SIKXE8 Member 100 Member For: 18y 1m 11d Gender: Male Location: S.E Melb Posted 11/01/09 04:44 AM Author Posted 11/01/09 04:44 AM that cleared it up, so pretty much dont alter bumpstops to much or lower less than 100mm, do they measure it with only 1 passenger in the car or wat, because its stated "in its loaded state"
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now