kaldek Member 71 Member For: 19y 2m 13d Posted 28/05/08 03:57 AM Author Posted 28/05/08 03:57 AM Maybe it keeps the waste gate partially open when it gets sticky.That's....that's....brilliant!Now why the heck didn't I think of that.I think you may have hit the nail on the head. And I mean so bang-on that you hit the nail once and it went right in all the way.Sheesh... Of COURSE a sticking solenoid could leave the wastegate open. The only remaining query is whether the wastegate actuator can open slightly. Since it's vacuum based, I would say "yes" as applying small amounts of vacuum to such a diaphragm system does indeed cause it to move "a little bit".
kaldek Member 71 Member For: 19y 2m 13d Posted 28/05/08 04:22 AM Author Posted 28/05/08 04:22 AM OK I did some research and it seems people have been toying with wastegate control solenoids (let's call it that from now on shall we?) for some time. It basically says that yes, the actuators are vacuum driven and issues with the solenoid can affect power delivery.So, it looks like cleaning the solenoid is allowing it to close fully and not leak boost pressure out a partially opened wastegate, when it wouldn't normally be open according to the ECU program.For folks with a high mileage car and a solenoid that has never been cleaned, maybe the best option is to buy a new solenoid rather than try to clean a dirty one. At least one person has already done this by the looks of it.
gilfxr6t Member 90 Member For: 19y 11m 18d Posted 28/05/08 08:30 AM Posted 28/05/08 08:30 AM every 4-5 months I do a tb clean and solenoid spray and ecu reset. the first time I did this I was amazed at the extra urgency in the guts of the rev range. Prob dont need to it all this often but its one of the only quick and easy jobs on these cars.The tb clean is the big one in my opinion. I did it at 75k km and the idle has been rock solid ever since.
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 28/05/08 09:40 AM Posted 28/05/08 09:40 AM I am due to do both of mine. I find it is noticable and feels like turbo lag. The boost does not kick in as fast as I am used to.The majority of people who have lubed their solinoid hae noticed a difference.
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 16d Posted 28/05/08 09:40 AM Posted 28/05/08 09:40 AM 90,000km on mine and it has not been done in the past 30,000km that I know of. I will go out and get headsex to log the wastegate duty before then after. That will be a sure way of indicating if it has done anything or not.
ravenhard Legacy Donating Member 1,517 Member For: 18y 7m 4d Gender: Male Location: Blacktown! Posted 28/05/08 09:54 AM Posted 28/05/08 09:54 AM slightly OT but I have an issue with my car in the boost comes on slow and only able to get 5psi on a generic 10psi tune. I have already tried cleaning the solenoid, but this thread got me thinking it may be rooted and go and buy a new solenoid. Is ford the only place to buy and how much would it be?
MYXR Member 2 Member For: 18y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: sunshine coast queensaland Posted 28/05/08 10:15 AM Posted 28/05/08 10:15 AM hey sorry completly differant question I need an answer to. dose having a aftermarket front mont intercooler void your cars factory warrenty, did the bf xr6t come out with one and if the warrenty is void should I get the ford dealers warrenty on a second hand 07 bf xr6t with intercooler and computer I have not seen this car in the raw only photos is there a bottun to turn the TC off and on :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: PLEASE RESPOND QUICKLY I AM THINKING OF PUTTING A DEPOSIT TOMOROW MORNING ON THIS CAR CHEERS
ebxmple Member 1,322 Member For: 18y 8m 6d Posted 28/05/08 10:28 AM Posted 28/05/08 10:28 AM The wastegate is operated by boost pressure not vacuum. Boost pressure goes to the solenoid and when the pcm sees that the set boost is reached the solenoid opens and supplys pressure to wastegate actuator to open wastegate. Add that to all this and what do you come up with. My understanding is if the solenoid is sticky it will over boost due to not opening quick enough.Other option is solenoid sticks open causing boost pressure to get through and hold wastegate open causing less boost at low revs. Boost controlled wastegate not vacuum.
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 10d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 28/05/08 10:49 AM Posted 28/05/08 10:49 AM . Is ford the only place to buy and how much would it be?$40-$45 for the part from a dealer
kaldek Member 71 Member For: 19y 2m 13d Posted 28/05/08 12:07 PM Author Posted 28/05/08 12:07 PM The wastegate is operated by boost pressure not vacuum. Boost pressure goes to the solenoid and when the pcm sees that the set boost is reached the solenoid opens and supplys pressure to wastegate actuator to open wastegate. Add that to all this and what do you come up with. My understanding is if the solenoid is sticky it will over boost due to not opening quick enough.Other option is solenoid sticks open causing boost pressure to get through and hold wastegate open causing less boost at low revs. Boost controlled wastegate not vacuum.Thanks, good to know! I didn't think it looked like your usual vacuum hose, so I guess that explains it.Either way, sticky solenoid could either stick open or slow down opening the wastegate.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now