adz Member 8 Member For: 19y 14d Posted 30/04/08 10:54 AM Posted 30/04/08 10:54 AM Hey all, Just after some thoughts and sudgestions. I have a 2002 ba xr6 ute (manuel) and I want to turbo it. just wondering if I should rebuld my motor or get one built. Getting a half cut is also a option but dont know how much that will cost , any ideas? IM looking for around 250-300 rwkws. Any thoughts of what I can do and some rough $$ amounts. Ive already heard the "just sell it and buy a turbo" so all help would be appriceated. Allready have LSD and will change the gearbox when I do the conversionCheers guys....
seventytwo Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel. Legacy Donating Member 5,368 Member For: 21y 2m 22d Gender: Male Location: The 8th Dimension Posted 30/04/08 11:02 AM Posted 30/04/08 11:02 AM I would say look in to getting a 1/2 cut out of a late model BF, that way you will have all the parts required and the stronger rods of the BF.give FTG salvage a call and they should be able to give you some prices.
RAP1D Member Legacy Donating Member 3,739 Member For: 20y 4m 9d Gender: Male Location: Sydney NSW Posted 30/04/08 01:12 PM Posted 30/04/08 01:12 PM I guess you want to keep the $$ down?Get on ebay, theres a few exhaust manifolds going, 200ish, find a turbo, water lines, oil lines (all xr6t) injectors, Flash tune, intercooler & piping of some kind, intake, dump pipe/exhaust and your allmost done... theres lots of little bits and peices but if you do your research first you'll know what to get.There's heaps of used stuff going to from guys that have ugraded for go fast bits, so look around and you'll save plenty
NVT Formerly EGOBFXR6 Legacy Donating Member 1,111 Member For: 18y 7m 24d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 03/05/08 09:27 PM Posted 03/05/08 09:27 PM Hey mate,I actually wanted to do this to my BF, but there is so much f*ckin around and so many little things to take into consideration. My suggestion is to either trade in on a Turbo, or spend the $5 K it would cost to changeover, and mod your N/A...Just my 2c mate - all the best.Dan
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 03/05/08 11:33 PM Posted 03/05/08 11:33 PM Mate, save your money and buy a XR6 Turbo once you can afford it.The cost to convert is costly and being yours is a '02 Manual, you have the 5 speed made of glass.These gearboxes do not hold up well even with stock power.By the time you have put the turbo and gearbox in, you could have traded it on a BA2 6sp manual turbo.We see N/A owners on here every week wanting to convert, most end up getting rid of their NA and buying a Turbo. Much better way forward.
BAman Member 133 Member For: 19y 11m 22d Gender: Male Location: sydney Posted 03/05/08 11:50 PM Posted 03/05/08 11:50 PM As ZAP said, time to trade.I went from an XT N/A to an XR6T and its the best move I have done.I had all the bits and pieces to do the convertion but decided at the last minute it's not really worth it.
Superdan Well-Hard Bangin' Member Member 3,422 Member For: 19y 1m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perff, WA Posted 04/05/08 05:57 AM Posted 04/05/08 05:57 AM what kind of max power are the N/A boys getting without the turbos? I would hate to spend that cash on a worked N/A with all the power squeezed out of it, or trade and have a stocker that's got more power and is quicker, and still have plenty to go!
da drone Member 16 Member For: 18y 11m 22d Posted 04/05/08 07:07 AM Posted 04/05/08 07:07 AM mate u are looking at 10 to 12k for turbo kit including fitting, but make sure who ever u get it done by that they tune your car right coz the differance in compresion ratio is diff between the xr6 and xr6 turbo, street fords reacons that if u turbo the barra182 u will blow it, I saying that I have got a tubo kit off a xr6 turbo ready to go just not enough money
fordboy1981 Legacy Donating Member 2,076 Member For: 23y 8m 11d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, Vic Posted 05/05/08 12:07 AM Posted 05/05/08 12:07 AM yeah dude, you have two options...trade up or go a massive build with big turbo etc, the rest is a waste of time and money.for what you want you'd better off just trading up to a newer BF...
51KBA 2005 BA MK11 turbo Member 140 Member For: 20y 8m 24d Gender: Male Location: sunshine coast Posted 03/07/08 07:32 AM Posted 03/07/08 07:32 AM mate u are looking at 10 to 12k for turbo kit including fitting, but make sure who ever u get it done by that they tune your car right coz the differance in compresion ratio is diff between the xr6 and xr6 turbo, street fords reacons that if u turbo the barra182 u will blow it, I saying that I have got a tubo kit off a xr6 turbo ready to go just not enough money incorrect mate sorry the street fords guys saw my converted ute and were blown away when they saw a dyno sheet for 238rwkw at 5 psi and then when I was watching their gt-p fade into the rear view mirror cheers
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now