gonein60 Member 5 Member For: 18y 6m 2d Posted 27/03/08 11:07 PM Posted 27/03/08 11:07 PM Hi all, just bought a new XR6T ute and although I'm very happy with it the gearbox has me a little concerned. When using the manual shift I'm getting a massive lag/flat spot when shifting from 1st - 2nd at even moderate revs (say 5000), also, after this occurs- when slowing to a halt, I'm getting a mechanical "clunk" on down shifts. No issues at all in standard shifting mode....What's going on??Cheers
R-SPEC You are a dead set goose Legacy Donating Member 3,968 Member For: 20y 10m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 27/03/08 11:23 PM Posted 27/03/08 11:23 PM Take it to Fraud and say 'I don't want it back until it's fixed you cumb dunts.'
senna_T Forged Member Legacy Donating Member 15,818 Member For: 19y 7m 23d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 28/03/08 12:02 AM Posted 28/03/08 12:02 AM well that's one way of saying it! Have you bought a second hand car or a new car gonein60?The gearbox may need a service or a re-flash if its used, otherwise as R-Spec said!
KryZak Member 91 Member For: 19y 5m 27d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 28/03/08 03:06 AM Posted 28/03/08 03:06 AM I dont have the 'lag' spot at 5000rpm, but there is bugger all boost being made at 5000rpm anyway, so im not sure what you mean by lag. The clunk on the other hand, I do have, along with a clunk when the drivline takes up slack (in 1st or 2nd, accelerate upto about 2000-2500rpm, then back off the accelerator, then get back on it, even softly, and there will be a clunk). Im told this is all within tolerances.I spoke to the dealer principle about it and another issue, and got palmed off because of my age (was asked my age, and when answered honestly, was basically told to come back when I have a few more years under my belt!) to which I responded with "fix it or I will sell it at a loss and never buy another ford - or australian built car - again.We will see what happens :(
RSK Member 340 Member For: 19y 17d Gender: Male Posted 28/03/08 03:45 AM Posted 28/03/08 03:45 AM Sounds like diff clunk to me? Weird that ford won't do anything about it....
xr6t_ute Legacy Donating Member 2,281 Member For: 19y 3m 5d Gender: Male Location: south east suburbs Posted 28/03/08 04:29 AM Posted 28/03/08 04:29 AM (edited) I would of asked how old he was, and told him if he wanted to see his next birthday id expect it to be fixed.Stand your ground your age has nothing to do with it...if theres something wrong with your car you would want it fixed accordingly....your the customer . Get a second opinion from a reputable workshop and go back to them with the results.Or just call ford customer service. Edited 29/03/08 01:36 PM by Dagabond
gonein60 Member 5 Member For: 18y 6m 2d Posted 28/03/08 05:36 AM Author Posted 28/03/08 05:36 AM Take it to Fraud and say 'I don't want it back until it's fixed you cumb dunts.'Hmmm that's not what I posted forAnyone with similar experience?Car has traveled 1500kmclunk is from gearbox not difflag - in hindsight is probably the wrong word...lets go with "total loss of power for around 2 sec/s)At present I'm suspecting an electronic management problem
BALLBREAKER Member 427 Member For: 21y 3m 11d Gender: Male Posted 28/03/08 06:06 AM Posted 28/03/08 06:06 AM It sounds like its hitting the limiter,Are u sure your shifting a 5000 rpm,Had the same sort of problem with my car I would shift at 5700 & by the time the box selected second it would hit the limiterTry shifting at 5400rpm Also try second gear at the same RPM.I hope it helps.CHEERS BB
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 5d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 28/03/08 07:40 AM Posted 28/03/08 07:40 AM Could be on to something now....if you're waiting for the tacho to hit the 'limit' before changing from 1st to 2nd then it's too late. The tacho can't keep up with the rapid rise of revs in 1st gear, there's a bit of lag in what it's displaying.& what makes you certain the clunk is coming from the transmission and not the diff/tail shaft? And is this happening during automatic downshifts or just manual?
gonein60 Member 5 Member For: 18y 6m 2d Posted 28/03/08 07:56 AM Author Posted 28/03/08 07:56 AM It sounds like its hitting the limiter,Are u sure your shifting a 5000 rpm,Had the same sort of problem with my car I would shift at 5700 & by the time the box selected second it would hit the limiterTry shifting at 5400rpm Also try second gear at the same RPM.I hope it helps.CHEERS BBFair call and worth investigating, I wondered also if for some bizarre reason the traction control may have been creeping into the equation....a long shot I know but stranger things have happened. Thanks for your input.Could be on to something now....if you're waiting for the tacho to hit the 'limit' before changing from 1st to 2nd then it's too late. The tacho can't keep up with the rapid rise of revs in 1st gear, there's a bit of lag in what it's displaying.& what makes you certain the clunk is coming from the transmission and not the diff/tail shaft? And is this happening during automatic downshifts or just manual?Yes well I guess I could be shifting later than I think but having driven many quick cars I reckon it's not too late, the thing is still making good power when I shift, not like it's over revving as such. Put it this way, if the problem IS the limiter...it's set too low. How do I know it's the gearbox? Well...without sounding like I know it all (coz I don't) I am in the gear manufacture/gearbox overhaul game so figure I have a fair idea. The car also has the usual diff gear/ drive spline play and the noise origin is discernibly separate. Cheers for your input.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now