135i Sport with 6-speed Steptronic automatic transmission $74,200

aa.jpg

aaa.jpg

dahler1.jpg

hart5.jpg

hart.jpg

1awb.jpg

111smallconcept_1er_tii17.jpg

Dont think I'll option the 2K steering wheel though...

wheel2.jpg

zh.jpg

Sheer driving pleasure will move up a gear with the announcement that BMW will introduce the new BMW 1 Series Coupé in Australia early next year, powered by the most powerful engine within BMW’s broad range of straight-six power units.

The dynamic new coupé is based on the successful BMW 1 Series and will feature the award-winning Twin Turbo petrol engine, agile rear-wheel drive handling and muscular design.

Conceived as a 2+2-seater with a separate luggage compartment and with the rear-seat backrest offering a 60:40 split, the BMW 1 Series Coupé also ensures a high level of all-round function and practical value.

The focus on this model is however clearly on Sheer Driving Pleasure BMW-style.

Arriving in Australia in the form of the BMW 135i Coupé, the new model offers a unique standard of power and performance in its class.

Recognisable from outside through the slightly modified M Aerodynamics Package, the BMW 135i Coupé is powered by BMW’s 3.0-litre straight-six featuring Twin Turbo technology, all-aluminium crankcase and second-generation direct petrol injection featuring High Precision Injection technology.

Maximum output of 225 kW from 2,979 cc ensures exceptional driving dynamics at all times, accelerating the BMW 135i Coupé to 100 km/h in 5.3 seconds.

Maximum torque of 400 Nm is maintained consistently throughout a very broad range of engine speeds from 1,300–5,000 rpm, proving that the 3.0-litre offers particular muscle and pulling force at all times.

The supreme power provided by the turbocharged engine already lauded as the 2007 ‘Engine of the Year’ reinforces the sheer driving pleasure typical of a BMW.

Average fuel consumption, according to the EU standard, is just 9.2 litres premium/100 kilometres, making the BMW 135i Coupé the most fuel-efficient car in its class.

High Precision Injection is the key ingredient in the engine’s particularly high standard of fuel economy.

With the introduction of the BMW 1 Series in 2004, BMW successfully enriched the compact segment through the introduction of the first and to this day only rear-wheel-drive model in its class.

Now the BMW 1 Series Coupé offers an even clearer and more dedicated pledge to sporting performance. The benefits of compact dimensions and low weight optimise the car’s driving dynamics, with the new model combining a superior drive with maximum efficiency.

This is not the first time that BMW has set the standard in driving dynamics in a smaller model segment. The BMW 02 Series, launched in 1966, is still acknowledged to this day as the forerunner for superb handling and agility. Rear-wheel drive, powerful engines and space for four were the cornerstones of this model series’ success for 12 long years.

The design of the car was characterised by dynamic proportions with a short body overhang at the front, a striking shoulder line, a long engine compartment lid and long wheelbase – styling features which, in modern interpretation, also give the BMW 1 Series Coupé a unique look.

The new BMW 135i Coupé with its 225 kW Twin Turbo power unit also offers an up-to-date interpretation of the very special BMW 2002 Turbo.

Highlights of the new BMW 1 Series Coupé include a dynamic and unmistakable coupé design combining the powerful and muscular body of the car with the greenhouse moved far to the rear and offering a particularly light look, short front overhang, long engine compartment lid, long wheelbase, striking silhouette, large and frameless doors.

The sporting silhouette of the new BMW 1 Series Coupé is further characterised by the distinctive shoulder line beneath the windows, strongly contoured side-sills and muscular, flared wheel arches. The “Hofmeister kick” typical of all BMWs also stands out as a particularly dynamic element.

The front end look of the new Coupé is typical BMW thanks to the design of the kidney grille with its powerfully accentuated chrome frame and headlights.

The rear end of the new BMW 1 Series Coupé is powerful and dynamic and includes a fully integrated third brake light. The luggage compartment lid comes with a spoiler literally chiselled into the rear end of the car, accentuating the short rear section and building up extra downforce on the rear axle at high speeds. The L-shaped rear lights feature light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and brake lights operating in two stages for additional safety on the road.

Inside, the new BMW 1 Series Coupé is characterised by a clean, generous interior design, high-quality finishes, sophisticated trim and upholstery with a wide choice of colours and materials, including the new body colour Sedona Red, which is exclusive to the new BMW 1 Series Coupé.

To give the car a unique look, the BMW 135i Coupé comes as standard with a modified, aerodynamically optimised M Aerodynamics Package. With its extra-large central air intake, the front air dam highlights the sporting character of the car. The two air intakes at the side in unique design are split horizontally by a centre bar and border on slightly contoured flaps. A further sign of distinction is the chrome-plated bars in the kidney grille.

The contoured side-sills on the BMW 135i Coupé accentuate the wedge shape of the car. The rear air dam of the BMW 135i Coupé, incorporates an anthracite-coloured insert at the bottom and is wrapped around the wheels, emphasising the car's wide track. An additional small spoiler lip referred to in motorsport as a “gurney” serves to optimise the car’s aerodynamics. And last but not least, the tailpipes are finished in dark chrome at the rear.

In typical BMW style, the new BMW 1 Series Coupé transmits the power of the engine to the road via the rear wheels. This configuration – engine at the front, drive wheels at the rear – guarantees optimum traction, good weight distribution front-to-rear, excellent directional stability, and safe handling. And the separation of drive power and steering, to add a further important point, gives the car extremely agile driving behaviour at all times.

The chassis and suspension of the BMW 1 Series Coupé underlines the dynamic and sporting character of the car, ensuring a high standard of steering and driving precision all the way to the extreme limit. Features include aluminium double-joint tiebar axle at the front, five-arm rear axle in lightweight steel, Dynamic Stability Control including Dynamic Traction Control, Active Steering exclusive to BMW available as an option and optimisation of traction by electronic management providing the same effect as a differential lock.

The BMW 135i Coupé features 18-inch light-alloy wheels and comes standard with M Sports Suspension and a high-performance brake system incorporating six-piston fixed callipers on the front axle and two-piston fixed callipers at the rear.

The new BMW 1 Series Coupé benefits from a wide range of safety features featured as standard, including six airbags, crash-optimised front seat backrests and headrests reducing the risk of injury in a rear-end collision, and a body structure expected to show optimum results in worldwide consumer safety tests such as the IIHS side impact test.

Equipment features so far to be found primarily in upmarket cars highlight the premium character of the BMW 1 Series Coupé in terms of comfort and safety. Available as an option, Bi-xenon headlights and Adaptive Headlights complete with integrated Turning Lights make driving in the dark safer than ever before.

Yup...very tempting...

....and 5 Stars from Jeremy!! :tonguepoke:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_...icle3103294.ece

• Member For: 19y 3m 13d

I like. A lot actually. The BMW x35i series are very nice.

I my buy one, the four door version, if I can convince myself that you can actually get into the back seat.

There are however some things that I cannot understand.

This is a very small car, with as noted a neigh on useless backseat and consequently even more useless rear passanger doors. I have some flexibility in the way that we will use this car and our other cars, so perhaps a personal car will less passanger carrying capacity and comfort will be ok... Maybe I should just get the coupe... I like coupe. I like small light nimble cars, especially ones with smooth spinning, high power motors with flat torque curves.

The 135i uses lightweight alloy block and suspension components. Nice. It even saves 30kg by doing away with carring a spare wheel and jack...

And yet it still weighs nearly as much as an XR6T! :tonguepoke:

And of course FG XR6T uses lightweight suspension components which will affect feel if not GVM.

And then there is next gen XR-V6-TT with lightweight alloy block and direct fuel injection...

decisions, decisions,

aa

• 2 weeks later...
  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 4d

Very nice. It's on the short list next year when my wife's STi is due to be replaced.

The 135i has the same turbo motor as the 335i (that I test drive, but another $50k), so it should be very responsive.

At around 1500kg, it is around the same weight as the STi, and not much more expensive than the top line STi.

However, when you start adding options on BMW's the price rises very quickly.

It shouldn't really be compared with the Ford, as it's a different market segment.

Brian

• 1 year later...
  • Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 17y

that would be a fun car.

had the little 130i sport hatchback/wagon ,for a day couple of weeks ago ,that 3lt six is an animal even without turbo's on it

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 17y 11d

this is definatly a car I will be looking at when im shopping for my next car in a str8 line it smokes the new evo as seen on top gear would be a great lil traffic light warrior and u would catch a lot of ppl by surprise :)

• 1 year later...