Steffche Member 51 Member For: 19y 3m 12d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 27/09/07 11:02 AM Posted 27/09/07 11:02 AM Hi guys,Just been taking my brand new XR6T for a spin, and I hit the rev limiter a couple of times because I either changed gear from 1st to 2nd too late, and on one occasion I went the wrong way on the damn gear shift (6 speed auto).Is it bad? Have I perhaps caused any long term damage? Risked losing power output from the engine?OR...is the rev limiter safe and hence why they have it..?Im stressing out a bit...any thoughts???Everything sounds fine..no noises or anything...Im jst stressing...
tonester Member 31 Member For: 19y 7m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 27/09/07 11:11 AM Posted 27/09/07 11:11 AM Don't worry about it.It takes about 2 months with the 6spd auto, to stop hitting your face on the windscreen.Trick is to only put your hand on the shifter when you need to change.Embarassing hitting 1st gear at 70K's
XR6IXT Legacy Donating Member 662 Member For: 21y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 27/09/07 11:18 AM Posted 27/09/07 11:18 AM I have done it so plenty of times and my engine and box are still in one piece
mbjunior99 Member 4,359 Member For: 23y 9m 5d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 27/09/07 11:22 AM Posted 27/09/07 11:22 AM I have hit the limiter my fair share of times too. I had my rev limiter raised a bit when I had my edit done and I don't hit it anymore though.
Steffche Member 51 Member For: 19y 3m 12d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 27/09/07 11:54 AM Author Posted 27/09/07 11:54 AM oh cool...I feel a bit better now...thanks guys
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 7d Posted 27/09/07 11:57 AM Posted 27/09/07 11:57 AM Think again guys before saying its alright to smack of the rev limiter. You are putting your already fragile oil pump gears under much strain when doing so. Much like leaving the traction control on. So in short try to avoid it as much as you can.
Maximus Member 1,627 Member For: 19y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: Slip Sliding Away Posted 27/09/07 12:02 PM Posted 27/09/07 12:02 PM So what you are saying is it is better to fry the tyres than use the traction control in the dry. In the wet however T/C is great insurance.
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 7d Posted 27/09/07 12:22 PM Posted 27/09/07 12:22 PM Wheel spin is better for the car than either hitting the limiter, traction control or axle tramp in ANY weather conditions. I think defensive and sensible driving is better insurance in the wet.
Steffche Member 51 Member For: 19y 3m 12d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 27/09/07 01:56 PM Author Posted 27/09/07 01:56 PM Think again guys before saying its alright to smack of the rev limiter. You are putting your already fragile oil pump gears under much strain when doing so. Much like leaving the traction control on. So in short try to avoid it as much as you can. So is it likely that I have reduced the power output capabilities of the engine?Ive been trying to run it in properly according to a thread in here somewhere...but tonight's episodes have freaked me out a little...
XF Falcon <put funny sh*t here> Member 3,365 Member For: 19y 10m 19d Gender: Male Location: Perth, NOR Posted 27/09/07 02:59 PM Posted 27/09/07 02:59 PM I hit the limiter a few times when I first got the car, especially in the 6spd auto going from first to second it took a few goes to learn when to upshift. After a few goes you'll be right.I do find however I short shift the car at like 4000rpm cos these cars really do not need the balls revved off them to make decent power!in the wet you can short shift at like 4000rpm and drift up a street up into 3rd gear without even having to thrash the balls out of the motor
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now