Power The 'nice guy' Legacy Donating Member 314 Member For: 21y 6m 1d Gender: Male Location: Sydney (Area around Ryde) Posted 11/06/07 08:27 AM Posted 11/06/07 08:27 AM Driving home Friday afternoon in Sydney's incredible storm, and carefuly negotiated a round-a-bout and as I exited all the 'fun' started.Unusual mechanical noises. Nearly instant loss of power and of course power steering. Engine oil light comes on.Manage to park it...slowly...with what momentum was there.Smoke pouring from under-bonnet.Jump out and lift bonnet to see flames from turbo area. Damned car extinguisher I'd bought had just sat at home, now I needed it so it seemed, but it went out very rapidly, luckily. That's a lesson.....Notice huge rainbow running down the road, or what was now almost more like a creek with the weather, and it was obvious I'd dumped ALL the oil.TRYING to walk through the weather and see, I managed to find some 'bits' as I walked back toward the round-a-bout. It was pretty hard to see let alone walk outside on Friday as those from Sydney or surrounds would remember, but my collection which is no doubt just a percentage of what was on the road makes a stunning photo as attached. I've got a very bad feeling about this. Any gurus out there who can suggest where I might look for the damage? Fire on RHS (turbo), but found one piece of metal on LHS of engine bay, but can't see any external damage, but no tools or trolley jack, or advice, as my mechanic neighbour is away for the long weekend, so I can't get a proper look yet.Maybe the photos give some hint as to where I can look tommorrow (when neighbour home) before I begin a no doubt LONG road to recovery? It would be 'nice' to see/know before I get to a mechanic.
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 11/06/07 08:39 AM Posted 11/06/07 08:39 AM Looks like bits of the sump and a few bits from the block...It's farked!
XR_Brute Member 120 Member For: 19y 6m 2d Gender: Male Location: melbourne Posted 11/06/07 08:43 AM Posted 11/06/07 08:43 AM That looks like peices of sump and block mate, im guessing its thrown a leg (conrod) out of bed... time for a full house build mate
BFHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,932 Member For: 20y 6m 9d Gender: Male Location: nsw Posted 11/06/07 08:46 AM Posted 11/06/07 08:46 AM yeh looks like sump material to me too.best bet is the drivers side under the turbo, thrown a rod out there and spilt oil on the hot turbo causing a fire.good excuse now to get an atomic bottom end in a built tested block.
jcooke Member 272 Member For: 20y 3d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 11/06/07 08:49 AM Posted 11/06/07 08:49 AM yikes, got any pics of engine bay from on top and under neath?
YPURV4 KILL,KILL,KILL,DIE,DIE,DIE, Member 2,813 Member For: 20y 4m 29d Gender: Male Posted 11/06/07 08:54 AM Posted 11/06/07 08:54 AM Frk sorry to hear mate, I thought I was having bad luck.I would also be asking WHY this happend ??good luck mate
gu4800 Member 156 Member For: 19y 5m 22d Location: Brisbane Posted 11/06/07 08:56 AM Posted 11/06/07 08:56 AM (edited) Driving home Friday afternoon in Sydney's incredible storm, and carefuly negotiated a round-a-bout and as I exited all the 'fun' started.Damn, how "unfortunate" that you took a gob full of water during Friday nights storm. Looks like your engine hydroliced itself. GOOD THING YOU HAVE INSURANCE TO COVER THIS!!!!!!!!!Nudge, nudge, wink, wink - say no more .............Most insurance companies will cover this type of damage provided you were driving on a road that is normally traversed by regular traffic - which by the sounds of it you were.I personally know of two cases - an SS Late model camira of a friend (about 8 years ago) that crossed a road during a storm and a 4WD of a friend of mine who crossed a washout (he was covered as it was classed as a "road" and the washout is normally dry). Both hydroliced - the SS because he had a lower snorkel in the front air dam, and the 4WD as the water was a little higher than he thought (and funnily enough he didn't have a snorkel).Dan Edited 11/06/07 08:58 AM by gu4800
Power The 'nice guy' Legacy Donating Member 314 Member For: 21y 6m 1d Gender: Male Location: Sydney (Area around Ryde) Posted 11/06/07 08:59 AM Author Posted 11/06/07 08:59 AM yikes, got any pics of engine bay from on top and under neath?From the top and with half an hour of searching I can't see a thing, keeping in mind you can't see 3/4 of the block anyway e.g. turbo heat sheild and so on.NOT going under until I get my neighbours trolley jack tommorrow.If those are bits of sump as some have helpfully noted, then under it will be...
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 11/06/07 09:10 AM Posted 11/06/07 09:10 AM Don't go under the car with only a trolley jack holding it up! Put it up on stands aswell.It's pretty easy to get the turbo heat shield off. I think you'll see alot more then.
Paul@eliteauto Member 843 Member For: 20y 1m 2d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 11/06/07 09:15 AM Posted 11/06/07 09:15 AM looks like piston and block frgments to me.VERY ugly.Sorry dude.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now