Changing The Wastegate Actuator

The NUT

• Member For: 10y 5m 6d

Can you upgrade the actuator of a stock turbo without doing porting and flapper or does that cause problems?

I want to get my tune done but am trying to avoid doing porting mod as I want to upgrade my turbo and fuel system at the end of the year/ early next year, so would prefer to put the money for the mod towards a new turbo.

But as ratter said I want to do it properly cause I don't know how long it will take me to save up for the fuel system and turbo upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 7y 3m 10d

Hello peeps im dan
I have a 04 ba xr6 turbo 130ks
Sct3 flash tuner running 8psi
Last cupple of days my boost been playing up 
Checked for leaks did ,boost solenoid service 
Still the same think it could be my( stock actuator)
Would slow boost to 7psi and drop to 5psi sometimes or would slow boost to 6-7psi 
And other times it would work fine and boost how it should 8psi hard, could anyone help me out is it my actuator

Hey buddy. I wouldn't be thinking the stock actuator would cause the problems that your having.

Actuators failing is normally to do with the spring no being strong enough to hold the exhaust flapper valve closed.

Which causes boost spikes.( Boost to climb past what it is tuned to. )

Diaphragm might be stuffed but I would think this is pretty rare in a genuine Garrett actuator which your's is.

Could be a number things. Electrical or fuel or even in the tune. ?

Use the search function in the turbo workshop section. Start reading mate.

Also :welcome2:To the mad house.

Cheers mate.. I did just got it back from the mechanics thay replaced break master cylinder could it because thay disconnected my battery?  After I got it back I did a retune with sct tuner making sure it eas still in 8psi tune.. or is it possible heat soak as I haven't changed the sh*tty pod filter that has been put on it with no heat shield plus there is no turbo heat shield 

Part of a vehicle'sturbocharger system, a wastegate releases built up exhaust gases once it receives a signal from the actuator. Depending on the vehicle, the wastegate may be internal or external. Regardless of the location, the wastegate must open and close in order to perform properly. Sometimes it can become stuck in the open or closed position, in which case it fails. Fortunately, a wastegate provides various signs that it is failing, giving owners the opportunity to fix their vehicle before experiencing serious issues.

actuator canister ensures that the wastegate stays closed. When the wastegate needs to release pressure, the actuator opens it. Once an adequate amount of pressure is released the wastegate closes, staying shut until it needs to release pressure again. Sometimes, the wastegate sticks open, either fully or partially. Other times, the system forces the wastegate open at low pressures, making it close to impossible for the boost to build up. Both cases lead to various issues that vehicle owners need to address quickly.

Low boost

Since a wastegate regulates the maximum boost, the boost suffers when the wastegate remains open. When the wastegate remains open for longer than it should, the exhaust gases bypass the turbine wheel. The gases then exit through the exhaust, resulting in no boost pressure and drastically reducing the engine's power. An engine that lacks power offers a poor performance, so owners likely notice an issue as soon as he or she attempts to accelerate.

Poor fuel economy

Manufacturers build turbocharged vehicles in a way that makes them powerful and fuel efficient. Owners may notice a reduced fuel economy when the wastegate on their vehicle is stuck in the open position. When the turbocharger system does not function properly, it cannot provide the fuel economy benefits people expect with turbocharged systems.

This is what I was thinking its doing

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 6m 1d
Its actually the opposite. flapper open = low boost         diaphram failure = wastegate close, boost spike.
  • Like 1

Double check all the pipe work. They may have not put a pipe back on properly. Battery disconnection shouldn't be an issue.

Alot more lads on here will have few more suggestions but for now try cleaning the pod or replacement.

Could be a case of heat soak but it would consistently doing it, not intermittently.

• Member For: 7y 11m 8d

Should post up a complete mod list and any dyno graphs you have plus a detailed description of any previous work that was done before this issue popped up. 

Should've went for a genuine Garrett actuator but anyway. 

No extra mods or dyno just the sct flash tuner 8psi tune been running fine for long time till now, the stock garrett actuator is only 3-4psi so im running 8psi would be pushing the actuator limits that's why I went for the 7psi turbo smart actuator and is ment to be alot better