245T Member 125 Member For: 20y 6m 1d Location: The Monaro Posted 06/03/07 07:41 PM Posted 06/03/07 07:41 PM I gave up Norton years ago for the same reasons as the other ppl. I use avg, spybot.I run raid and have another hdd that is loaded with a clean W2000 and the programs that I use. So when anything goes wrong it is a simple matter of cloning the raid with ghost back to a clean start.
mickey_gee Member 593 Member For: 21y 11m 14d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle NSW Posted 06/03/07 09:18 PM Posted 06/03/07 09:18 PM I have used nortons for a long time with no issues. Usually finds more viruses and cleans most of them pretty easily. If your computer is running slowly it mighy need a mal ware checker. My sugrestion is to download Hijack This run it and turn off everything that isnt a virus scanner. Then download search and destroy, update it, and run it. Hijack this is a powerfull tool and is a little complicated. Ive never wrecked anything with it but it does alter a lot on your computer (in a good way). If you are not up to using Hijack this then just use the search and destroy. It always works and Ive never wrecked anything with that either.Disclaimer: At no time am I liable for any issues my advice causes....!Hope this helpsMG
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 23y 11m 19d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 06/03/07 09:48 PM Posted 06/03/07 09:48 PM I've rolled out Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate to over 70,000 users.Never once have I had an outbreak in a properly updated environment...Trend Micro OfficeScan is pretty good, although I haven't used it in a few years.
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 4d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 06/03/07 09:57 PM Posted 06/03/07 09:57 PM Any time I've had an issue with Norton at home, it's usually after a ms security update. Here at work though never had a problem with the corporate edition whatsoever.
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 06/03/07 10:03 PM Posted 06/03/07 10:03 PM We use and recommend Symantec AV range and have done for many years.HoweverI have just upgraded my office PC to Vista Ultimate and installed the latest SAV and it SUCKS. It uses u 25Mb of RAM and is always hogging up the CPU. I did a search and it seems that everyone is complaining about this problem. I guess I will need to wait until Symantec come out this morning and have a whinge to them about it.I guess you need to pay the price to have the best, we have never had any virus/trojan/worm outbreaks with SAV.
ENVY-T CNUTOX Legacy Donating Member 3,098 Member For: 23y 8m 23d Gender: Male Location: Not sure? Posted 06/03/07 10:47 PM Posted 06/03/07 10:47 PM I have used Norton for nearly 4 years now and have no problems.
shockF6 Legacy Donating Member 478 Member For: 20y 11m 25d Location: Melbourne Posted 06/03/07 10:54 PM Posted 06/03/07 10:54 PM I used to run SAV (norton corporate version) and had done so for years. After my update to Vista I decided to change to Kaspersky as there the only people who are giving you a 3rd party firewall option for Vista at the moment.Long story short, Kaspersky found 8 email viruses on my computer during its first system scan that norton let through without any hassles at all.so I guess im saying that its not only the system slowing down that norton suffers from. its also letting through viruses that kaspersky is catching.I say go Kaspersky!!!
Guest newl Guests Posted 06/03/07 10:56 PM Posted 06/03/07 10:56 PM I personally avoid viri by using a GNU/Linux platform. However, there are win32 machines here in the house and they've all got AVG (free edition) installed and have never had any issues when used with Ad-Aware and Spy Bot S&D. At work, we use SAV and very rarely have any problems.
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 06/03/07 11:31 PM Posted 06/03/07 11:31 PM Vitamin C works well..............
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 6d Gender: Male Posted 06/03/07 11:49 PM Posted 06/03/07 11:49 PM bitdefender v10..works for me
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now