Exhaust Change

CJF077

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d
Well today I took the plunge and got the exhaust done

You did WHAT! How long have you had the car?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DZ.
  • Guests
about 3-4 weeks :)

It's usually a good idea to run your car in a bit before you change the exhaust but given that the Cat Converter is usually the major restriction in an exhaust system there's probably no pressure change to the engine.

Are you able to get copies of the Dyno Sheets from the other car and post them - a 17KW increase at the wheels would mean a greater power increase at the fly wheel as you would get more loss of power in the drive train from heat/friction etc etc.

A strictly linear equation would peg fly wheel power to be 262 KW however the equation would actually be exponential so it would probalby be a bit more power than that.

Any word about how that affects the warranty?

• The Noble Leader
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 6m 7d

been told by some members at the dealership it will not affect warranty, though if i have a problem with the "exhaust" it is not covered.. Just the exhaust that is..

• Member For: 21y 4m 17d

Just curious, I've heard that the Barra240 was actually putting out 280kw but because the Boss260 was only putting out 260kw they used the exhaust and a few other bits and peices to cut back the power. I've been trying to find any articles that confirm this and thought you guys might be able to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Guest DZ.
  • Guests

There was an article in a Wheels magazines a few months back where they got the power easily up to 270KW but the EMS winds the Torque back to 450NM to give it a flat torque curve and protect the manual gear box - and probably to ensure the power is under the XR8 and leave room for future enhancements.

Guest exr6
  • Guests

The tubo's have been tested at 370kw (flywheel) by ford. But they have not got transmissions that will stand that sort of power, also the conrods are another weak link. This just shows you how much power these beasts are capable of putting out!

Guest MrSparkle
  • Guests

May I suggest to everyone in Sydney, to join in on our club dyno day in March/April? The results from days like this (with 30+ cars) are a lot more meaningful than one-off readings. :)

• Member For: 21y 6m 8d

From what I remeber, I think the drivetrain loss from the auto in AU (BA is virtually the same) was approx. 28%.

For example my modfied AU is 160rwkw * 1.38 = 222kw at the fly, conversly 222 * 0.28 = 62 therefore 160rwkw.

I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the drivetrain loss for the manual AU (once again, virtually the same box in BA) was approx.18% (or 1.26 * rwkw). Therefore:

Manual BA XR6T should be approx. 190rwkw (240kw fly)

Auto BA XR6T should be approx. 173rwkw (240kw fly)

Give or take a few KW depending on ambient temperatures and discrepencies in the dyno as well as how well the engine was run in and these figures should come pretty close to the mark.

So the guy with 197kw at the wheels, if an auto should get 271kw at the fly and if its a manual 248kw.

I'm guessing its an auto, because a proper exhaust on a turbo engine will yield more than a 7rwkw increase and 271kw sounds awfully similar to Fords statement about it being "easily" achievable.

Hope this helps guys!