blackwrx Member 181 Member For: 21y 7m 16d Posted 13/12/06 05:53 AM Posted 13/12/06 05:53 AM (edited) NOT DIAL UP FRIENDLY AS TAKES A LITTLE WHILE TO LOAD UP.Came accross this on another web site and thought it may ba helpful when choosing oils for your car. It came as a surprise to me that the red line oil did not perform too well..http://hanyanabanana.googlepages.com/dallasoilinfo Edited 13/12/06 05:56 AM by blackwrx
loopism Tractor Driver Member 709 Member For: 20y 7m 26d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 14/12/06 11:29 PM Posted 14/12/06 11:29 PM I'll wait until they do the in-engine tests before taking any of these results into consideration.
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 12d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 15/12/06 12:03 AM Posted 15/12/06 12:03 AM Im always a bit dubious about these types of test but seeing as how im running Royal Purple in my car and it did well in the test then this test must be a good one... :tosser: No real surprises though that the most expensive and most advertised oils arent always the best...BCL what oil you run in your car or is that a Nizpro classified secret?
tmac450 Member 1,650 Member For: 20y 1m 1d Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 15/12/06 12:05 AM Posted 15/12/06 12:05 AM I've seen similar tests ran in a workshop, with the same results, Royal Purple is king.In fact, in one test I saw, Royal P even out performed other synthetics with aditives, and as stated in this test, even without the oil bath, the RP perfromes better.There was a case in the US where a 4WD running RP holed it's sump and still ran (without further damage) on the coatings stuck to the components.I've used the stuff for years and although it is dearer per litre, it more than makes up for it in longevity. I can generally run RP for twice as long and it still comes put looking as fresh as it went in.
hsv eater Member 21 Member For: 20y 4m 22d Posted 15/12/06 07:39 AM Posted 15/12/06 07:39 AM I've seen similar tests ran in a workshop, with the same results, Royal Purple is king.In fact, in one test I saw, Royal P even out performed other synthetics with aditives, and as stated in this test, even without the oil bath, the RP perfromes better.There was a case in the US where a 4WD running RP holed it's sump and still ran (without further damage) on the coatings stuck to the components.I've used the stuff for years and although it is dearer per litre, it more than makes up for it in longevity. I can generally run RP for twice as long and it still comes put looking as fresh as it went in.←how can the oil be as fresh as it first went in,and twice the change interval
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 12d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 15/12/06 08:38 AM Posted 15/12/06 08:38 AM The manufacturers of royal purple recommend a 10000k's service interval with a filter change at 5000k my royal purple 5w30 has done aprox 5000k's and has minimal discolouration compared to the oils i've run in the past. Maybe not fresh as the day it was put in but certainly fresher than other oils i've used...
bjcrown Legacy Donating Member 182 Member For: 20y 11m 17d Posted 16/12/06 05:57 AM Posted 16/12/06 05:57 AM Has anyone managed to download this document? It seems this link "dallasoilinfo.doc" is inactive. Can someone please upload this to this thread or PM me.. please...?I'm currently using Mobil1 5W-50 on my XR6T BA MKII auto. I wonder if I should change? Any thoughts?Thanks.
JBomb3000 Legacy Donating Member 875 Member For: 20y 10m 15d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 16/12/06 08:49 AM Posted 16/12/06 08:49 AM Has anyone managed to download this document? It seems this link "dallasoilinfo.doc" is inactive. Can someone please upload this to this thread or PM me.. please...?I'm currently using Mobil1 5W-50 on my XR6T BA MKII auto. I wonder if I should change? Any thoughts?Thanks.←Yeah I can't get it to work either.
xr6 Member 96 Member For: 21y 9m 8d Posted 16/12/06 05:36 PM Posted 16/12/06 05:36 PM Managed to download it OK after a couple of attempts.What they've done is measure film strength of cold oil. What relevance this has to oil performance in an engine, I'm not sure.The interesting thing for me is that the semi-synthetics generally do better than the full synthetics. Is this because dino oil has better film strength, or is it the additive package?
SavageF6 Legacy Donating Member 1,622 Member For: 22y 5m 16d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 17/12/06 01:56 AM Posted 17/12/06 01:56 AM I'll wait until they do the in-engine tests before taking any of these results into consideration.←What they've done is measure film strength of cold oil. What relevance this has to oil performance in an engine, I'm not sure.←
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now