338.9rwkw With Unichip

XR-ENVI

• Member For: 18y 10m 23d

Just got the car back again from GTECH with a few more Kilowatts added- pretty wrapped with 338.9 bbut why is it when you get it back you think..."I think we better get it up over 340rwkw" It is very addictive, so with the future addtion of even bigger injectors perhaps we can reach a higher figure, with the unichip, or perhaps do we go a lfash tune and see wha tit does, but I have been pretty happy with Damien at GTECH'S ability to do a very nice tune with the unichip

Narelle

Edited by XR-ENVI

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 13d

My experience with the unichip was even though I had a good peak O/P (308 rwkw) it was really quite a slug getting off the line.

I had the APS Ph2 kit with the addition of the APS IC and waste gate mods, but retained the standard battery and air box locations. Looks quite stock under the bonnet :spoton:

I can certainly empathise your situation, Narelle, where you always want more power.....

I don't know what your power curve looks like, but here is a graph of my experiences with Unichip and Edit. Same car, same hardware mods, just different tuning tools. Unichip tune was done by Morpowa (Adelaide) and Edit custom tunes have been done by HP-F in Melbourne.

post-1523-1165378640_thumb.jpg

Edit transformed the driveability of my car in a very pronounced way..... peak power was very similar, but I gained substantial mid range torque.

Boost was better controlled, economy improved and performance in real terms is without comparison. No issues with pinging, no problems with starting, idling and throttle response is also much better.

Throw in the fine tuning of the trans to improve shift action under performance mode, yet smooth (almost like stock) under light throttle conditions and in my opinion, in the hands of a good tuner, there is NO comparison in the advantages of the edit over a unichip, simply because of its ability to set the car's own ECU correctly with the mods you have added.

You say you want more power Narelle.....

It gets very costly above where you're at now..... 340 rwkw ? as you are at the limit of the mechanical integrity of the stock FORD motor's components (rods/pistons/crank etc)

Just a suggestion..... as happy as you are with the unichip, you can get much better "seat of the pants" feel of power with the Edit without actually getting any more peak power.... just a stronger delivery earlier in the rev band.

note that this also puts a lot more stress on driveline components.... clutch (if it's a manual) gearbox, driveshafts axles and diff etc

good luck with your ride.... sounds exciting.

tom

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 1d

Just a suggestion.....  as happy as you are with the unichip, you can get much better "seat of the pants" feel of power with the Edit without actually getting any more peak power....  just a stronger delivery earlier in the rev band.

Tom I've have both products tuned by the SAME tuner on the same car and can tell you that the unichip is easily capable of bringing in boost at low rpm. I've posted graphs before to show this. Your experience looks to be more a case of two different tuners doing two different jobs.

Ive seen cars with unichip run well over 400rwkw so the hardware has no problems making power.

Whilst edit is good I've had to fit an eboost controller to get the best boost control out of the car at the moment, which may be an issue for people with high power cars.

Edited by Geeseman

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 3d

Please don't start the old Edit vs Unichip debate again.

If Geeseman has admitted that he has tried the Edit (and kept it), then it must be OK. Piggybacks were great in their day, and got us started on the road to mods, but for overall drivability and control you can't beat the Edit as the base, and some people do use Edit+piggyback.

We have all moved on!

Brian

• Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car
  • Member For: 20y 10m 5d

Just a suggestion.....  as happy as you are with the unichip, you can get much better "seat of the pants" feel of power with the Edit without actually getting any more peak power....  just a stronger delivery earlier in the rev band.

Tom I've have both products tuned by the SAME tuner on the same car and can tell you that the unichip is easily capable of bringing in boost at low rpm. I've posted graphs before to show this.

How about some time slips to back that up and dont mention C&V's car that did a 10.9 as Jnr's car with the same phase 3 kit but with edit went quicker with 5-7psi and 30 rwklw's less driven by the same person

Mods this is not a Edit V unijip but would like to see Steve back up his statement

Edited by DBOSS