phantomchic Just because it is, doesn't mean it should be..... Legacy Donating Member 14,092 Member For: 22y 20d Gender: Female Location: Noosa QLD Posted 18/09/06 12:52 PM Posted 18/09/06 12:52 PM So fellow technology buffs, whats the trick. I have a new HD Hitachi 42" Plasma and I am very disappointed with the picture quality. Admittedly, I have no digital set top box - my sole source of television is provided by satelite Foxtel.Is it that Foxtel is ( Fox Footy looks the worst ) or do you really have to tweak and fine tune plasmas to get the bset out of them.The picture from DVD's is pretty good.Thoughts?←have you read the destructions yet or try thisshazzy←Hey, what are you doing in my semi-serious thread?Havent you got a stoopid pic of a bare-chested fella to post somewhere ←nahhh.. was meant to disturb the fellas... looks like it did however (back on topic)keep us posted when you get this techo tv happening and tabitha and I will come to mexico first to watch theFERODO TASMANIA CHALLENGE ,SYMMONS PLAINS RACEWAYRound 11 10 Nov - 12 Nov 2006 shazzyps I don't eat much
mickey_gee Member 593 Member For: 21y 11m 16d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle NSW Posted 18/09/06 01:25 PM Posted 18/09/06 01:25 PM the car racing live on 10 is good quality, the footy on 9 is crap.definetly the dvd player connected to the green red and blue component connectors is very good.Im going to buy one of those digital boxes with a hard disk. tape the car racing in wide screenMG
antigravity Member 332 Member For: 20y 14d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast!!!! QLD Posted 20/09/06 06:05 AM Posted 20/09/06 06:05 AM Best way to go is a HDMI cable if your DVD/Set Top Box has a HDMI output.If it doesn't, next best thing are component cables (Red, Blue, Green in colour) for video and a 75ohm RCA cable and plug that in your digital audio (coaxial). Don't bother with Optical unless you've got a $5000+ surround sound system. Otherwise there will be no noticable difference whatsoever.
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 9d Gender: Male Posted 28/09/06 06:28 AM Posted 28/09/06 06:28 AM I have a similar prolem.I have a dlp rear pro with 1080i input and I cant get a decent black out of it.. its always got a v red glow to it.this is using the component out of my dvd player.animations etc are really good but the black looks sh*t in movies and tv shows..any tips?cheers
xrdreaming Legacy Donating Member 1,693 Member For: 23y 8m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 28/09/06 07:38 AM Posted 28/09/06 07:38 AM If you need a hand Luke, am happy to come over and have a tinkle for you, just give me a call.
F6 UTE - Track Bound EVO III - Member 3,367 Member For: 21y 9m 16d Gender: Male Location: Strapped in and holding on Posted 28/09/06 08:40 AM Posted 28/09/06 08:40 AM I have a similar prolem.I have a dlp rear pro with 1080i input and I cant get a decent black out of it.. its always got a v red glow to it.this is using the component out of my dvd player.animations etc are really good but the black looks sh*t in movies and tv shows..any tips?cheers←Are you absoultly possitivly certain your dlp proj actually outputs native 1080i??There's only a handfull of dlp's that actually output in true 1080i. It will accept a 1080i signal, but outputs 720i..I'm running HDMI/DVI, with optical aodio and it's a great picture, vast improvement over compenent too.. I had similar issues when I stuffed around with the colour settings, just go into menu and reset to factory default and see if that helps. Failing that, swap out the dvd player and try to narrow it down.Hint, annimations allways look good, because you never know what the objects are 'supposed' to look like.. I have no idea as to why foxtel has cheapy rca cable outputs in there boxes..
F6 UTE - Track Bound EVO III - Member 3,367 Member For: 21y 9m 16d Gender: Male Location: Strapped in and holding on Posted 28/09/06 08:42 AM Posted 28/09/06 08:42 AM HDMI offers little gain over the component connection.. But its Digital rather than Analog... ←The difference is chalk and cheese, imo.
XR06T Legacy Donating Member 4,146 Member For: 21y 3m 9d Gender: Male Posted 28/09/06 09:01 AM Posted 28/09/06 09:01 AM http://au.lge.com/md/product/prodcategoryl...tId=1100000633#this is a link to it, an I doesn't seem to say..im pretty sure its 1080i. can anyone decipher the specs?
Desert_phantom Member 141 Member For: 20y 13d Gender: Male Location: NT Posted 28/09/06 09:39 AM Posted 28/09/06 09:39 AM Hey there. Good choice of TV. Hitachi is one of the best plasma panels availabe and offer superior picture quality to LCDS, Rear pros etc.Hitachi is not perfect though: One issue I am aware of with Hitachi is a low quality internal Analogue tuner, so if you do use the inbuilt tuner for normal TV you will find that colours tend not to blend properly (eg a persons face where no real detail or tonal range exist.) seeing a panasonic or pioneer next to Hitachi (both running free to air) shows this up pretty bad. However with the world of digital TV its not really a huge issueand the good points of Hitachi far outway the bad.Now foxtel: The box probably has what sort of outputs... Composite, S-video an scart?. Definately go for the scart option.Scart isnt to bad quality. Scart to component cables are often a little challenging to find, but they are out there.A couple other things I can suggest:Run all video signals through a high end amp which is capable of upconversion.This will not improve detail, but should create a smother less pixelated image.Always use HDMI or DVI when possibe, whilst Compoent is good a digital connection by nature can carry greater colour, detail and even greater resolution.Definately get a Antenna guy to put a booster on if u have a little bid of an issue with reception.Hope this helpsGood luck
Guest newl Guests Posted 28/09/06 09:49 AM Posted 28/09/06 09:49 AM Scart to component cables are often a little challenging to find, but they are out there.When I had Foxtel, I grabbed a SCART to component (in/out switchable, needed more outputs for my wireless A/V setup to the other rooms in the house) from Bunnings of all places. Trickie Dickies or Tandy may carry them as well. Just more info for those that may be looking for one.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now