Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Colossal Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 1m 12d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

It may increase boost but there's no doubt it decreases timing to compensate for the hotter charge air.. if you up the air pressure without adding fuel your going to end up with detonation.

  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

Well I guess if you look realisticly at cars which have been modified with the Edit, they will produce more power than stock, regardless of temperature, so theoretically the PCM could change engine parameters to allow more boost and more fuel to compensate for hotter intake conditions in stock cars, thus maintaining the power level.

I know most of us have experienced power drops when the weather gets hotter, but theoretically Ford could avoid most of this effect if they wanted, just be managing the engine differently.

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 3m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mackay Qld
Posted
I was having a chat to a mate the other day about how much a hot ambient temperature can affect a cars performace, particularly turbo cars.

I ended up thinking of an article I read in MOTOR magazine a year or so ago, in which I am sure someone wrote an article explaining that the XR6 turbo actually increases boost pressure in hot ambient temperatures to maintain consistant performance.

Obviously, cooler air is great because it's denser, but hot air is a problem because at the same boost levels you are forcing in less air than usual.

I can't find any mention of this anywhere, so I'm beginning to think that I am crazy, but I was wondering if some knowledgeable person could tell me if I remember correctly or if I'm pulling something out of my imagination.

You are not crazy (at least not based on the above :glad:), I remember the article, and it was a desert test of the F6 and I think other FPV models, and somewhere in the article they did say that the boost increased as the temperature went up.

I can probably find the article if someone disputes this.

Not sure if it in fact true, but that's another story :blush:

It said : As ambient goes up, so does the boost pressure.The fact is that as ambient temp increases, a modern turbomotor will increase its boost pressure to compensate for the relative lack of air density that is part and parcel of a hot day.

Have the article but scanner is not working. Might try with phone see how they come out.

Cowie

  • Gold Platinum Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 3m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria
Posted
I was having a chat to a mate the other day about how much a hot ambient temperature can affect a cars performace, particularly turbo cars.

I ended up thinking of an article I read in MOTOR magazine a year or so ago, in which I am sure someone wrote an article explaining that the XR6 turbo actually increases boost pressure in hot ambient temperatures to maintain consistant performance.

Obviously, cooler air is great because it's denser, but hot air is a problem because at the same boost levels you are forcing in less air than usual.

I can't find any mention of this anywhere, so I'm beginning to think that I am crazy, but I was wondering if some knowledgeable person could tell me if I remember correctly or if I'm pulling something out of my imagination.

You are not crazy (at least not based on the above :glad:), I remember the article, and it was a desert test of the F6 and I think other FPV models, and somewhere in the article they did say that the boost increased as the temperature went up.

I can probably find the article if someone disputes this.

Not sure if it in fact true, but that's another story :blush:

It said : As ambient goes up, so does the boost pressure.The fact is that as ambient temp increases, a modern turbomotor will increase its boost pressure to compensate for the relative lack of air density that is part and parcel of a hot day.

Have the article but scanner is not working. Might try with phone see how they come out.

Cowie

We believe you dont worry about phone pics :P

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 10m 1d
Posted

I did read that article too.

But all I know is that on 35 plus degree days, in first off of the clutch, the phoon struggles to spin the wheels.. with weather like it is now.. Its all over the road. So im guessing that theres a few kws in it somewhere.. Maybe it was coz my car was newer in summer and had less ks on her? Anyways.. :spoton:

  • www.australianflag.org.au
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted
I did read that article too.

But all I know is that on 35 plus degree days, in first off of the clutch, the phoon struggles to spin the wheels.. with weather like it is now.. Its all over the road. So im guessing that theres a few kws in it somewhere.. Maybe it was coz my car was newer in summer and had less ks on her? Anyways..  :spoton:

Yeah that and the fact that warmer tyres on a warmer road, provide more traction.

Scotty

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 10m 1d
Posted
I did read that article too.

But all I know is that on 35 plus degree days, in first off of the clutch, the phoon struggles to spin the wheels.. with weather like it is now.. Its all over the road. So im guessing that theres a few kws in it somewhere.. Maybe it was coz my car was newer in summer and had less ks on her? Anyways..  :laughing:

Yeah that and the fact that warmer tyres on a warmer road, provide more traction.

Scotty

Will be interesting to put my G Tech into practice and see actual performance difference.. mmm. Might go for a lap now..

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

Attached is the article in question:

Page 5 discusses the boost issue.

Pages are about 1 mB each.

post-264-1157208901_thumb.jpg

post-264-1157208957_thumb.jpg

post-264-1157209018_thumb.jpg

post-264-1157209077_thumb.jpg

post-264-1157209140_thumb.jpg

post-264-1157209204_thumb.jpg

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted
Thank you very much for that Ninka.  :laughing:

No problems :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...