RHR BOOST Moderating Team 5,698 Member For: 23y 1m 1d Gender: Male Location: Southern Highlands NSW Posted 22/08/06 02:54 PM Posted 22/08/06 02:54 PM Yeah good ol diff clunk fords famous no cost option
6speedXR8 Mal Wood Automotive Member 537 Member For: 23y 6m 18d Location: WARWICK QLD Posted 24/08/06 12:14 PM Posted 24/08/06 12:14 PM (edited) Hi All. I have a BA tornado and while it is a fantastic dual purpose driving/ ute vehicle for me, the diff slop sh*ts me to tears I will be in melbourne on the morning of the 19th August, (a friday) does anyone recommend a shop that will be able to set it up properly in that time? I an heading off to Bendigo, so any thing from the city to way out that direction would be great.Thanks, knowledgable ones. Most of the Dana diffs that we see in the workshop do have excessive backlash in the diff and they normally whine on the over run. When I bought my XR6T ute it was quite noticable (the clunk in the diff) and when we pulled it down to do a ratio change it had around .017'' crownwheel to pinion backlash. When we put it back together with the 3.73 gears we set the backlash at .006'' and it is perfect. Come for a drive to sunny Qld and I will fix it Mal Edited 25/08/06 06:58 AM by Adam
SavageF6 Legacy Donating Member 1,622 Member For: 22y 5m 17d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 24/08/06 01:46 PM Posted 24/08/06 01:46 PM Bloody hell Mal, I need a reason to drive up to see you guys. Too much good work coming out of that shop of yours.
turtle33 Member 578 Member For: 21y 7m 12d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 24/08/06 01:50 PM Posted 24/08/06 01:50 PM (edited) Hi All. I have a BA tornado and while it is a fantastic dual purpose driving/ ute vehicle for me, the diff slop sh*ts me to tears I will be in melbourne on the morning of the 19th August, (a friday) does anyone recommend a shop that will be able to set it up properly in that time? I an heading off to Bendigo, so any thing from the city to way out that direction would be great.Thanks, knowledgable ones. Most of the Dana diffs that we see in the workshop do have excessive backlash in the diff and they normally whine on the over run. When I bought my XR6T ute it was quite noticable (the clunk in the diff) and when we pulled it down to do a ratio change it had around .017'' crownwheel to pinion backlash. When we put it back together with the 3.73 gears we set the backlash at .006'' and it is perfect. Come for a drive to sunny Qld and I will fix it Malok. how much? Edited 25/08/06 06:59 AM by Adam
Chris xr6 Member 376 Member For: 22y 6m 6d Location: Shire Posted 24/08/06 08:43 PM Posted 24/08/06 08:43 PM (edited) Hi All. I have a BA tornado and while it is a fantastic dual purpose driving/ ute vehicle for me, the diff slop sh*ts me to tears I will be in melbourne on the morning of the 19th August, (a friday) does anyone recommend a shop that will be able to set it up properly in that time? I an heading off to Bendigo, so any thing from the city to way out that direction would be great.Thanks, knowledgable ones. Most of the Dana diffs that we see in the workshop do have excessive backlash in the diff and they normally whine on the over run. When I bought my XR6T ute it was quite noticable (the clunk in the diff) and when we pulled it down to do a ratio change it had around .017'' crownwheel to pinion backlash. When we put it back together with the 3.73 gears we set the backlash at .006'' and it is perfect. Come for a drive to sunny Qld and I will fix it Malok. how much?Yeh me too? Edited 25/08/06 07:00 AM by Adam
Bad Apples Legacy Donating Member 110 Member For: 21y 2m 14d Gender: Male Posted 25/08/06 01:37 AM Author Posted 25/08/06 01:37 AM Come for a drive to sunny Qld and I will fix it MalThanks, mate, but driving from Tasmania to QLD is a bit of a hassel, being a distant island and whatnot... So far I have spoke a driveline place here and they seem happy to have a look, so I'll go for a drive with them, and ask for the crownwheel to pinion backlash to be set to .006" , and inspect the tailshaft bearings, anything else?
gogo Member of team Kittens Member 609 Member For: 22y 7m 13d Location: Melbourne Posted 25/08/06 01:53 AM Posted 25/08/06 01:53 AM So far I have spoke a driveline place here and they seem happy to have a look, so I'll go for a drive with them, and ask for the crownwheel to pinion backlash to be set to .006" , and inspect the tailshaft bearings, anything else?←check the CV joints as well - there have been a couple of comments on here previously, and one in this thread in relation to play in these - whether you want to keep throwing money at them is another thing all together.The rubber donut in the tail shaft also can fail - check this.Good luck! Ben.
Bad Apples Legacy Donating Member 110 Member For: 21y 2m 14d Gender: Male Posted 25/08/06 03:49 AM Author Posted 25/08/06 03:49 AM Hi Ben,Do I have CV joints, I thought these were only required on the IRS setup? being a ute, it's live axle all the way.Cheers,Chris.
built2redline Member 187 Member For: 21y 5m 1d Location: sh*tney Posted 25/08/06 06:49 AM Posted 25/08/06 06:49 AM theres 2 cv joints in the utes tailshaft, one near the centre bearing and one near the diff.these are there to provide movement as the suspension travels up and down ( they replace the old uni joints seen in the older tailshafts)
Bad Apples Legacy Donating Member 110 Member For: 21y 2m 14d Gender: Male Posted 25/08/06 07:17 AM Author Posted 25/08/06 07:17 AM
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now