lucifers xr6t Legacy Donating Member 57 Member For: 21y 11m 14d Location: Melbourne Posted 01/08/06 12:00 AM Posted 01/08/06 12:00 AM Hey Guys looking to change the Unichip for an Edit but would appreciate some advise from people that have a similar set up. $1500 is a lot of cash so please lets not start a Unichip Vs Edit war.I would appreciate info on power gains and overall diff it makes to the car. Am I better of with different modes maybe a cooler rather than spending the cash on an Edit.CheersLucifer
gogo Member of team Kittens Member 609 Member For: 22y 7m 15d Location: Melbourne Posted 01/08/06 12:06 AM Posted 01/08/06 12:06 AM Hey Guys looking to change the Unichip for an Edit but would appreciate some advise from people that have a similar set up. $1500 is a lot of cash so please lets not start a Unichip Vs Edit war.I would appreciate info on power gains and overall diff it makes to the car. Am I better of with different modes maybe a cooler rather than spending the cash on an Edit.CheersLucifer←Hi Lucifer,I would go the edit for sure!I gained about 50rwkw (250 - 302rwkw) on HPF's dyno from as came in vs after edit (with the APS Phase II and valve springs). The edit was the only change made.The APS dyno had me at 268rwkw I think from memory.The total result for me was MUCH more satisfying, the low down torque much stronger, and provided better fuel economy and felt 'smoother'.One of the best things I ever did. Based on my experiences I would recommend you find yourself a good edit tuner!Cheers, Ben.
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 17d Posted 01/08/06 12:07 AM Posted 01/08/06 12:07 AM it would all come down to the fact weather you can justify the extra expense to have a few different tunes to choose from
turbotom Team Bute Legacy Donating Member 1,550 Member For: 23y 2m 23d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 01/08/06 12:48 AM Posted 01/08/06 12:48 AM it would all come down to the fact weather you can justify the extra expense to have a few different tunes to choose from←No Tony, that's NOT the case at all.It comes down to the fact whether you want your car to truly perform to its capabilities.The EDIT, in the hands of a tuner with lots of experience with the XR6T (with edit and other mods you have) will transform your car and your driving experience.I initially upgraded my APS Ph2 ute with the APS IC, and gained a significant increase in peak power (from 270 to 308 rwkw) ........ It was impressive, but still left me feeling like it had no grunt off the line.Still got a reasonable time at the track (12.8 @ 117 mph), but did not get off the line with any real urge (I have a 4sp auto, with 2800 stall )A retune with edit transformed the car.Similar peak power, but a hell of a lot more power produced earlier in rev range.This translates to a huge increase in the torque output below 4000 rpm, and THAT is what the edit can do. Give you that real sense of accelleration in the rev range that you do most of your driving. And my fuel economy improved too. Unichip Ph2+IC 12.4 / 19.1 country/city driving.Now +EDIT 10.4 / 17.1 country.city driving.Bear in mind though, that the increased torque output will stress the driveline a lot more. If this is a concern, keep what you've got now.If a manual, you'll definitely need a clutch upgrade, and will more than likely require a 6 sp upgrade, cause the 5 sp box will suffer.If an auto, an upgrade to trans is highly recommended if you want reliablity. An auxilliary trans cooler is a must have for the auto.It's never an easy decision on how best to spend a limited amount of cash, but the EDIT with a custom tune is the best value for money performance upgrade you can possibly do for your T. With your Ph2 kit, you will be very pleased with the results. You can always add an IC upgrade later (which I bet you will) There are some very cost effective choices in IC upgrade's now.good luck with your decision.tom
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 17d Posted 01/08/06 03:20 AM Posted 01/08/06 03:20 AM tom unfortunatly I cant speak from exprience as yourself which is why I only made one comment which I thought could be an advantage to having an edit. Obviously there are plenty of other advantages as you mention. but as I mentioned, havnt got one so I cant make comment. hence not making me incorrect, but just me offering one reason to think about changing.
lucifers xr6t Legacy Donating Member 57 Member For: 21y 11m 14d Location: Melbourne Posted 01/08/06 03:50 AM Author Posted 01/08/06 03:50 AM Thanks for the reply's guys, it sounds like edit is the way to go. Who can I contact at HPF ?
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 19d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 01/08/06 04:51 AM Posted 01/08/06 04:51 AM Thanks for the reply's guys, it sounds like edit is the way to go. Who can I contact at HPF ?←Tania seriously Rob Vickery
lucifers xr6t Legacy Donating Member 57 Member For: 21y 11m 14d Location: Melbourne Posted 01/08/06 05:15 AM Author Posted 01/08/06 05:15 AM Okay Rob Vickery it is.
teeg Member 372 Member For: 21y 2m 26d Location: SA Posted 01/08/06 05:23 AM Posted 01/08/06 05:23 AM Observation....."but would appreciate some advise from people that have a similar set up""unfortunatly I cant speak from exprience"
veczar Gold Platinum Member Member 1,081 Member For: 22y 3m 12d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 01/08/06 05:44 AM Posted 01/08/06 05:44 AM Leave Tony alone he gave a valid point
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now