Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 5d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 07/06/06 11:34 AM Posted 07/06/06 11:34 AM All this tube and fin vs bar and plate stuff confuses the hell out of me.Everyone seems to have a different opinion on which is better and why.From what I understand bar and plate cools better but flows less and has more of a pressure drop. So from what I understand tub and fin is better for everyday street use.Is this correct or not?
Process West Member 248 Member For: 20y 3m 29d Gender: Male Location: Wollongong NSW Posted 07/06/06 11:46 AM Posted 07/06/06 11:46 AM All this tube and fin vs bar and plate stuff confuses the hell out of me.Everyone seems to have a different opinion on which is better and why.From what I understand bar and plate cools better but flows less and has more of a pressure drop. So from what I understand tub and fin is better for everyday street use.Is this correct or not?←There is no correct answer. Japanese tube & fin coolers have a totally different contruction method to the Australian made Adrad and K&J units. You can also have 2 bar & plate cores of identical size which can show different pressure drops and outlet temps. It all depends and fin configuration. Kevin
Romulus Legacy Donating Member 1,279 Member For: 21y 8m 27d Location: Perth Posted 07/06/06 02:00 PM Posted 07/06/06 02:00 PM I've used the AutoSport Engineering tube and fin intercooler and have no problems with it. Minimal pressure drop, excellent cooling characteristics. It's probably not as efficient as a bar and plate core, but is capable of flowing much more power. I was pushing out 330 odd rwkw with this unit and had no problems.The intercooler I've ordered to go with my Nizpro kit is another tube and fin unit from ASE. Difference being, they don't use the same core as PWR
Process West Member 248 Member For: 20y 3m 29d Gender: Male Location: Wollongong NSW Posted 07/06/06 09:41 PM Posted 07/06/06 09:41 PM I've used the AutoSport Engineering tube and fin intercooler and have no problems with it. Minimal pressure drop, excellent cooling characteristics. It's probably not as efficient as a bar and plate core, but is capable of flowing much more power. I was pushing out 330 odd rwkw with this unit and had no problems.The intercooler I've ordered to go with my Nizpro kit is another tube and fin unit from ASE. Difference being, they don't use the same core as PWR ←I think ASE use Adrad cores..same core construction method as PWR (K&J)..extruded. The only reason you would use an Australian made extruded type core (from a business point of view) is because you can order minimal quantity/custom size cores with quick lead time.The extruded cores work Ok..but for the same size you will get better results with the bar & plate unit.Ive been to 4 different heat exchanger factories around the world (1 in USA and 3 in China). One of the Chinese factories had a bunch of intercooler cores from every manufacturer around the world. They showed me the extensive testing they did...was very interesting.My 2 centsKevin
Guest Guests Posted 07/06/06 11:45 PM Posted 07/06/06 11:45 PM I've used the AutoSport Engineering tube and fin intercooler and have no problems with it. Minimal pressure drop, excellent cooling characteristics. It's probably not as efficient as a bar and plate core, but is capable of flowing much more power. I was pushing out 330 odd rwkw with this unit and had no problems.The intercooler I've ordered to go with my Nizpro kit is another tube and fin unit from ASE. Difference being, they don't use the same core as PWR ←I think ASE use Adrad cores..same core construction method as PWR (K&J)..extruded. The only reason you would use an Australian made extruded type core (from a business point of view) is because you can order minimal quantity/custom size cores with quick lead time.The extruded cores work Ok..but for the same size you will get better results with the bar & plate unit.Ive been to 4 different heat exchanger factories around the world (1 in USA and 3 in China). One of the Chinese factories had a bunch of intercooler cores from every manufacturer around the world. They showed me the extensive testing they did...was very interesting.My 2 centsKevin←kevin you sound pretty clued up think your right with the ase & pwr cores being similarthe bar and plate never realy flows as much as some tube and fin but the eficiancy almost always out weighs the flow!especialy when there is room!food for thaught here:nizpro cobra kit =cooler and plumbing kitplenum withstd exhaust = 330 odd rwkwaps phase iii kit =cooler and plumbing kitexhaust with std plenum = 330 odd rwkwcomon denominator = cooler and plumbingso how many people listen and go for cooler with plumbing?lucky to see 5% do it right!!!!at this point wog cooler no. 2 began life
Fat-Tony Legacy Donating Member 5,364 Member For: 20y 6m 10d Posted 08/06/06 12:21 AM Posted 08/06/06 12:21 AM ProcessWest,Were comparing a bar and plate to a tube and fin, there is advantages and disadvantages to using either. PWR quote a less than 1psi drop at 8psi and inlet chagre cooled from 81deg to 40 as apposed to teh fatory core which is at 61deg outlet. When looking at the cooler cores I think 2 on the market I have seen stand out PWR and Hyperflow, purely because the end tank design allows you to acually use the core rather than shoveing air into the bottom cooler rows. I would like to see your cooler kit for the XR6 and some test results to compare with. Though also got to consider the climate we live in im from Melb and it dont get very hot here for only about 4 days of the year so I really cant justify the use of a bar and plate cooler for myself.
Process West Member 248 Member For: 20y 3m 29d Gender: Male Location: Wollongong NSW Posted 08/06/06 01:02 AM Posted 08/06/06 01:02 AM ProcessWest,Were comparing a bar and plate to a tube and fin, there is advantages and disadvantages to using either. PWR quote a less than 1psi drop at 8psi and inlet chagre cooled from 81deg to 40 as apposed to teh fatory core which is at 61deg outlet. When looking at the cooler cores I think 2 on the market I have seen stand out PWR and Hyperflow, purely because the end tank design allows you to acually use the core rather than shoveing air into the bottom cooler rows. I would like to see your cooler kit for the XR6 and some test results to compare with. Though also got to consider the climate we live in im from Melb and it dont get very hot here for only about 4 days of the year so I really cant justify the use of a bar and plate cooler for myself.←The placement of the inlet/outlets wont make any diffenence to what part of the core is used. Ill prove this when my intercooler is ready.Kevin
Process West Member 248 Member For: 20y 3m 29d Gender: Male Location: Wollongong NSW Posted 08/06/06 01:11 AM Posted 08/06/06 01:11 AM I've used the AutoSport Engineering tube and fin intercooler and have no problems with it. Minimal pressure drop, excellent cooling characteristics. It's probably not as efficient as a bar and plate core, but is capable of flowing much more power. I was pushing out 330 odd rwkw with this unit and had no problems.The intercooler I've ordered to go with my Nizpro kit is another tube and fin unit from ASE. Difference being, they don't use the same core as PWR ←I think ASE use Adrad cores..same core construction method as PWR (K&J)..extruded. The only reason you would use an Australian made extruded type core (from a business point of view) is because you can order minimal quantity/custom size cores with quick lead time.The extruded cores work Ok..but for the same size you will get better results with the bar & plate unit.Ive been to 4 different heat exchanger factories around the world (1 in USA and 3 in China). One of the Chinese factories had a bunch of intercooler cores from every manufacturer around the world. They showed me the extensive testing they did...was very interesting.My 2 centsKevin←kevin you sound pretty clued up think your right with the ase & pwr cores being similarthe bar and plate never realy flows as much as some tube and fin but the eficiancy almost always out weighs the flow!especialy when there is room!food for thaught here:nizpro cobra kit =cooler and plumbing kitplenum withstd exhaust = 330 odd rwkwaps phase iii kit =cooler and plumbing kitexhaust with std plenum = 330 odd rwkwcomon denominator = cooler and plumbingso how many people listen and go for cooler with plumbing?lucky to see 5% do it right!!!!at this point wog cooler no. 2 began life←Its a shame that only 5% of people do it right. As I said in a another thread its not hard to do an upgrade intercooler for T. Making it look right at the front of car is another thing. The front end of the T is pleasant looking. I dont understand why guys spoil it by installing a big intercooler that doesnt sit in the centre of the front end. My new kit sits in the centre and is symmetrical...it looks right.Kevin
1axr TEAM BLUEPRINT Member 913 Member For: 23y 7m 27d Location: Perth W.A. Posted 08/06/06 01:16 AM Posted 08/06/06 01:16 AM great discussion guys.keep it comming.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 7d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 08/06/06 02:09 AM Posted 08/06/06 02:09 AM Yeah a good read here... very interesting.Be nice to see one that sits in the middle.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now