Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 2d
Posted

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone's had this one with their car.

I know that you should baby the car for the first few minutes/kays (at least) to get her up to temp, and 99% of the time I do.

Every now and then though, there will be a situation where you need to 'give it to her' just after starting up. (eg. pulling out of a tee intersection into flowing traffic not far from where you started up.)

Lately, I have noticed a sound that seems to emanate from in the dash somewhere. It only happens at what I'm pretty sure is the same time as when the turbo is spooling up (eg. about 2000 rpm and above, and especially when mashing the accelerator pedal)

The best way to describe the noise is that it is like a cicada, or angry budgie. It is reasonably loud, and increases 'in sync' (I reckon) with boost pressure.

My guess is that it is a solenoid or something that has to do with controlling the boost or turbo - but then again, mechanically, I have NFI.

It goes away once the car is warmed up.

What are the guru's thoughts out there?

Should I be worried?, racing to a mechanics ASAP? etc. :blink:

Thanks in advance.

  • Xtreme Xalted Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: BrisVegas
Posted

I reckon you should just drown out the sound with either:

1. The sound of tortured rubber.

2. Volume level 24 on your premium sound.

:blink: Not helpful I know but Claude made me do it.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 2d
Posted

Those are the scientific solutions I've been using so far :blink::kissmy:

But, I'd like to see if there's something more 'appropriate' I should be doing :spoton:

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted
I reckon you should just drown out the sound with either:

1. The sound of tortured rubber.

2. Volume level 24 on your premium sound.

:blink: Not helpful I know but Claude made me do it.

What about.....

3. Take more meds

  • Colossal Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 1m 6d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted (edited)

Try this next time you take off into traffic...

Turn off Traction Control

When I turn onto a busy road in the mornings the tyres can often slip quite easily as they are cold, and this will cause the TC to engage and it does make a noise which sounds like it comes from the dash, but its just on the other side of the firewall.

Might be the noise you mean...

Edited by XXXR6T
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 1m 26d
Posted
I reckon you should just drown out the sound with either:

1. The sound of tortured rubber.

2. Volume level 24 on your premium sound.

:spoton: Not helpful I know but Claude made me do it.

24? I'd be lucky to get to 18 without the standard sub sh*tting itself :(

really need to do the stereo at some stage :msm:

  • Team Bute
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 2m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted
like a cicada, or angry budgie. It is reasonably loud, and increases 'in sync' (I reckon) with boost pressure.  

hmmm. loud ticking. clicking noise as turbo spools up under wide open throttle....

You've just descibed what PINGING sounds like!

Have you modified your car?

Are you using low octane ulp fuel?

If its a stocky and pinging, get it back to FORD.

If you've modded in any way, get it retuned! or stick to higher octane pulp!

tom

  • Colossal Member
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 1m 6d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

That wouldnt be "in synch" with the turbo spooling up... pinging is very random... I wouldnt think it's that bad and most people know what pinging sounds like.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 2d
Posted (edited)
Try this next time you take off into traffic...

Turn off Traction Control

I pretty much always turn off the traction control (90% of the time?) - I actually tried to get the Ford Mechanics to figure out a way to make it so that when you start up, the T/C is OFF, and you need to press the button to turn it ON.

Long story short - I'm pretty certain that's not the noise. Thanks for the idea though! :spoton:

hmmm. loud ticking. clicking noise as turbo spools up under wide open throttle....

You've just descibed what PINGING sounds like!

Have you modified your car?

Are you using low octane ulp fuel?

The car is bog stock, and I ALWAYS use 98 RON fuel (I think in 108000 k's, I've used 95 RON Premium 3 times and 10 litres of normal unleaded once to get me to a servo with 98 RON fuel in the next country town.)

I am pretty familiar with what pinging sounds like (used to get it in my '82 Pulsar all the time, and even had it briefly in my '99 Rex) and I'm 99% sure that it's not a 'pinging' noise either. Another good idea though. :msm:

Anyone else got any thoughts??

Edited by Mercurial
  • The 'nice guy'
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 5m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney (Area around Ryde)
Posted

If it was pinging it definately seems to sound as if it is coming from low in the middle of the dash......

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...