Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 5m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Not a big fan of these, I'd prefer to cool the engine bay by venting the hot air out, turbo gets hot enough without wrapping it up. I just wish there was a way of venting the engine bay without making holes in the bonnet.

  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

I have ordered one of these. Ill post some pics once I get it fitted up.

  • Member
  • Member For: 19y 6m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: syd south
Posted

imo they are terrible and I would never buy one.

they trap heat in as we all know and that means excessive heat in the core of the turbo for extended time,the oil will naturally get fried sitting in the core after shutdown.

WAY TO KILL YOUR TURBO BEARINGS GUYS ;)

if you really wasnt good heat reduction in the engine bay without hurting your turbo then get your manifold and exhaust housing ceramic coated.

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 11m 3d
  • Gender: Male
Posted (edited)

I agree the turbo blankets are bad news. I have seen then catch fire when first fitted on the dyno. Now we can get them very hot on the dyno, however I have also seen them catch fire on circuit cars. I also agree that if you develop a turbo oil feed leak the blanket has a habit of catching it and once again catching fire.

The reasons heat shields work so well is that there is a gap between the hot stuff and the shield allowing the heat to be expelled. The shield is their to protect the radiant heat killing over components.

Most turbo’s and exhaust manifolds see temperatures of around 900 degs C. Not far up from that , manifolds. exhaust studs, and turbine housing start to suffer, at this point trying to rid of the head rather than keeping it in would be a better idea.

Heat management does become extremely important and we spend a hugh amount of time and design in the ski race boats to get the best results, due to the super high duty cycles with the full exhaust systems get to 950 c for 30 to 40 minutes at a time. Heat shielding and air flow become the only effective way of stopping the Fibre Glass hulls from catching fire.

Edited by Nizpro
  • 2 months later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 9m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

im still considerin gettn one of these... seein as my bearings fukd themselves anyway already without the blanket, sh*t why not right? lol

  • Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 4m 20d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney NSW
Posted

Yeah I'm not too keen on all the heat being held in the turbo...

A stainless steel cover works very well and looks the goods... well I think so anyway lol

3029c9k.jpg

14c3znl.jpg

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 9m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

I think it looks way better than the standard one, but with the higher mount you dont have a whole lotta choice haha

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...