Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 8m 22d
Posted

Wanting to put auto transmission cooler in, already have bigger intercooler, are there any new places for it to go? I have had a look at some of the previous posts just want to know if there are any new places, and if you have photos.

  • Im the one and only
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 8m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: In my house
Posted

I have mine at the drivers side of the front bar behind the spotties :smilielol:

  • Here since the start...
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria
Posted

I put mine behind the upper grille...

There's plenty of air flow there.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 8m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Mate I have an APS intercooler and I have mine mounted in front of it just behind the ford logo in the front grill, it has not effected performance or temps.

post-523-1142841456_thumb.jpg

  • Here since the start...
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria
Posted

Could there be a better spot than that for airflow?

  • Im the one and only
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 8m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: In my house
Posted
Could there be a better spot than that for airflow?

My bar doesnt have any skid tray under it and I havent had a problem with high auto temps.Plus I didnt want it in front of my stock cooler.

It sits a fair way back off the spotlight. :smilielol: .

Im dribbling a bit now :tease: I will just shut up :nono:

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 15d
Posted

I have a 270mm x 270mm PWR trans cooler. I mounted it just in front of the drivers side front wheel. I have cut some of the wheel inner guard and fitted some mesh to stop all the rocks ect...also air dam splash guard has been modified by some gutters along the way. so there should be plenty of air flow through there.

Gonna fit a small thermo fan at some stage.

  • Team Bute
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 2m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

I've got the APS IC (which is a big MF), and am running over 300 rwkw. Trans has been modified extensively, and I have a 2800 stall converter.

The Maxi trans cooler (610 x 110 mm (rated at 24000 btu)) is located directly in the flow of air in the top grille opening. It gets first crack at cool incoming air.

The APS IC sits behind - the top 50mm of IC is behind the trans cooler.

Note that I have trans oil line plumbed from GB to the in-radiator trans cooler, and then into external front mount trans cooler before going back to trans. I have an electric VDO temp gauge which monitors engine oil temp and return trans oil temp.

On the hottest of Adelaide's days this summer (we had a week of 40 degree plus weather) the engine ran at 80 degrees C, with return trans oil temp at 50 degrees C. After some full on bursts in the heat, the engine oil sat on 90 deg C, and the return trans oil at 60 degrees C.

Lots of posts in past about possibility of rupturing the radiator cooler, but my trans builder suggested this setup.... and it's working fine so far.

This method ensures trans oil is warmed up quickly on cold mornings.

The location of the trans cooler in front of the IC is NOT ideal for performance, as IC core temp can rise from radiated heat of trans cooler. I have noted that performance is worst on hot days only if car has been switched off (parked) for a period of time with NO air flow. I guess the combination of radiated heat from both the trans cooler and radiator heat up the IC core temp, and result in reduced performance until moving air flow reduces the IC core temp. (a water spray kit would help)

Once car is moving, performance is still excellent even on hot days (albeit not as fast as on cool nights)

I have investigated locating the trans cooler in other locations, but there is insufficient air flow unless some custom air vents are drilled - or fog lights removed - one other possibility I have considered is (on the ute) in the void in front of the rear wheels. Plenty of room to locate a cooler, and incorporate a side vent in the ute tray to channel cool air through.

But after running the car through this hot summer, I'll leave it as is.

tom

post-1523-1142860536_thumb.jpg

  • Powered by Ford's 3.7 V6 = Zoom Zoom Zoom!
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 11m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Tweed Heads
Posted
I've got the APS IC (which is a big MF), and am running over 300 rwkw. Trans has been modified extensively, and I have a 2800 stall converter.

The Maxi trans cooler (610 x 110 mm (rated at 24000 btu)) is located directly in the flow of air in the top grille opening. It gets first crack at cool incoming air.

The APS IC sits behind - the top 50mm of IC is behind the trans cooler.

Note that I have trans oil line plumbed from GB to the in-radiator trans cooler, and then into external front mount trans cooler before going back to trans. I have an electric VDO temp gauge which monitors engine oil temp and return trans oil temp.

On the hottest of Adelaide's days this summer (we had a week of 40 degree plus weather) the engine ran at 80 degrees C, with return trans oil temp at 50 degrees C.  After some full on bursts in the heat, the engine oil sat on 90 deg C, and the return trans oil at 60 degrees C.

Lots of posts in past about possibility of rupturing the radiator cooler, but my trans builder suggested this setup....  and it's working fine so far.

This method ensures trans oil is warmed up quickly on cold mornings.

The location of the trans cooler in front of the IC is NOT ideal for performance, as IC core temp can rise from radiated heat of trans cooler.  I have noted that performance is worst on hot days only if car has been switched off (parked) for a period of time with NO air flow. I guess the combination of radiated heat from both the trans cooler and radiator heat up the IC core temp, and result in reduced performance until moving air flow reduces the IC core temp. (a water spray kit would help)

Once car is moving, performance is still excellent even on hot days (albeit not as fast as on cool nights)

I have investigated locating the trans cooler in other locations, but there is insufficient air flow unless some custom air vents are drilled - or fog lights removed - one other possibility I have considered is (on the ute) in the void in front of the rear wheels.  Plenty of room to locate a cooler, and incorporate a side vent in the ute tray to channel cool air through.

But after running the car through this hot summer, I'll leave it as is.

tom

post-1523-1142860536_thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you get this maxi transmission cooler from, and how much?

I like the long narrow style, the time has come where I need to do something like this, thanks

Clarke

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...