Rik_Biel Bionic Bealie Member 271 Member For: 23y 1m 2d Location: Perth West Oz Posted 29/10/05 08:04 AM Posted 29/10/05 08:04 AM (edited) Well - after having an EF for 8 years - I now have a BA Mk2Being a different engine, and being my first oil change - I have a queryDumped the old oil, poured some oil through to "wash through" some of the dregsChanged the filter, and now have refilled.The oil that came out was dirtier than my 10,000kms changes used to be on the EF - (may just be a different type of oil too)Anyway - I bought 2 5 litre Castrol Magnatec and I have poured 1 container inThe dipstick is really hard to read because the oil is so clear.The service book that came with the car says a dry fill takes 7 litres.So I am thinking I should be pouring in another 2 litres out of my second container.Mights sound like I'm being dumb - but I just want to make sure I dont overfill it.So do I need to pour the extra 2 litres in to bring it up to a 7 litre fill?Cheers Edited 29/10/05 08:05 AM by Rik_Biel
Rik_Biel Bionic Bealie Member 271 Member For: 23y 1m 2d Location: Perth West Oz Posted 29/10/05 08:14 AM Author Posted 29/10/05 08:14 AM I just found Zap's "How to" thread.He suggested 6.5litres - so I will definitely top it up.I used a Ryco Z9 filter as I had one spare from a previous parts shopping splurge.I can't see using a Ryco filter and not a Ford filter being a warranty concern - can any of you?
Rik_Biel Bionic Bealie Member 271 Member For: 23y 1m 2d Location: Perth West Oz Posted 29/10/05 08:20 AM Author Posted 29/10/05 08:20 AM I just noticed the little book also says the standard 6 cylinder should be running 10W-30 oilThe Magnatec stuff I just put in is 10W-40Does it really make any difference?
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 24d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 29/10/05 09:46 AM Posted 29/10/05 09:46 AM (edited) Magnatec is what my Ford dealer sell and reccomend. I haven't got the handbook in front of me and too lazy to go out to the garage to look at it but are you sure that's the reccomended viscosity for XR6T? Maybe series II is different to series I?As for oil filter...dunno for sure...you wouldn't think they would have a problem but you never know....depends on the dealer I suppose. If you ever did have a problem the dealer could I suppose come back and say you changed the oil yourself using aftermarket parts therefore problem not covered by warranty. Pretty unlikely one would hope. Edit: Your car is n/a not "T"? Maybe the reason for different oil. Edited 29/10/05 09:48 AM by Falchoon
Rik_Biel Bionic Bealie Member 271 Member For: 23y 1m 2d Location: Perth West Oz Posted 29/10/05 10:05 AM Author Posted 29/10/05 10:05 AM (edited) Well - I just looked at the discarded Ford filter.It does seem to be a bit more substantial an item than the Ryco - but the Ryco box says it warranties for new cars, so if there ever was a problem, oil/engine related, and Ford did try to pull a swifty - I would have a claim against Ryco.Hopefully it will never come to that though.Maybe I'll do a filter only change (to a Ford genuine filter) before the 3,000km inspection....just in case. But I don't think it will be necessary.I actually was at the dealer this morning, and I mentioned what I was contemplating doing. The salesman who sold me the car said it was not necessary to do the oil change.He said the engines once assembled were started up before being put in the car, revved and tested for I don't know how long to make sure they made the right horsepower, then the oil dumped and fresh stuff put in.He did alos say there was no harm in doing it, just he didn't think it necessary.I don't know what's what - I am glad I have put fresh oil in anyway just for piece of mind. Edited 29/10/05 10:07 AM by Rik_Biel
xr6 Member 96 Member For: 21y 9m 13d Posted 29/10/05 10:23 AM Posted 29/10/05 10:23 AM Recommended oil for n/a engine is 10W-30 - it's on the filler cap. But I'm sure Magnatec is OK - my dealer used BP Vanellus 15W-40 (DIESEL oil) at the 15,000 km service. Only thing is you'll get better fuel economy from a thinner oil - Ford have gone to 5W-30 for the BF.Provided you've drained the oil properly, just refill with the recommended amount of oil as per the manual and then check the level - should be close to the full mark, unless you've used an aftermarket filter that holds less oil.
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 16d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 31/10/05 01:42 AM Posted 31/10/05 01:42 AM I reckon my engine feels much smoother on magnatec than on the recommended oil. I supply my dealer with 7L of magnatec and an oil filter... whether it's a ryco or a valvoline one just depends on the price as it doesn't really make that much difference. Supplying the oil to the dealer saves me heaps of dosh on servicings. I also have a BMC filter which I clean myself so they can cross that off the list also... well worth the purchase.
mahoy Member 22 Member For: 21y 1m 9d Location: Wyndham Vale, Victoria Posted 31/10/05 01:53 AM Posted 31/10/05 01:53 AM I just went to book my car in for the 3,000km service with my local dealer and they said they will not change the oil and filter even though I wanted it done. They said that Ford have told them not to do this as they are using a running in oil and then he started crapping on how if they change it warrenty would be void. Does this sound like to anyone else?? But I was thinking they have a chance to make money on the oil and filter why wouldn't they just change it???
veczar Gold Platinum Member Member 1,081 Member For: 22y 3m 14d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 31/10/05 03:27 AM Posted 31/10/05 03:27 AM Haha. That is crap. They can change your oil at 3000km and not void the warrenty as long as it is oil that is recomended for the T (15w40 by memory)!LOL what a crazy dealer!P.S. My dealer does T oil chages at 3000km by request and lots do request it!
wippdaddy Member 41 Member For: 21y 19d Posted 31/10/05 03:44 AM Posted 31/10/05 03:44 AM Was thinking of changing to a fully synthetic oil at 10000 kms (Mobil 1 5w50) is this oil alright in the T's also should I wait till 15000 kms before changing to synthetic?. Does anyone know what sort of synthetic the dealers use?Cheers Zane
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now