Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 14d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 20/09/05 04:51 AM Posted 20/09/05 04:51 AM Hey guys, just wanted to post up my latest experience in the customising field. Sunday was a nice day for farting around so I went down to XRCHRIS's place and got to work. Chris bought some "Red Caliper Paint" which seemed appropriate for the job... about 13 bucks from Repco. We put both cars up on stands and pulled the wheels off. I got to work pulling the calipers off the rotors which took a while due to the damn tight bolts holding them on.Since we had the masking tape out and sh1te loads of newspaper it was also a good day to touch up the intercoolers... they were a little bit chipped of silver. Got that all masked up and ready to paint. Now on to the calipers...Gave them a good scrub with a scourer and hot soapy water, this god most of the crap off them. We went and got some Bendix brake cleaner for about 10 bucks, this stuff was pretty good you just spray it on, catch all the run-off and let it air dry. It leaves no residue so they are pretty much ready for painting after that.Covered up the rotor with a towel, posted up some newspaper around the wheel arch and anything that might get over-sprayed. Masked up the caliper itself leaving only the main bulk of it exposed (the lower guide piece was masked up so it stays bare). It was pretty hard being precise so we just did our best and bits you cant see didn't really bother me too much.The paint went on very easily, dried quite quickly due to the warmer weather and we gave them all three coats just to make sure it stuck properly. Painting the arches required a bit of effort to not spray anything else, so short - aimed bursts did the trick with the spray can. Yes you will get coloured hands if you do this!Anyways it was a lot of effort and in hind-sight if I knew it was that much effort I would have gone to the pub instead, but they came up a treat and I think they don't look too tacky at all. I know they ain't brembos, but it does give a nice feature to the side of the car. I reckon if Ford wanted to distinguish the T from the NA a bit more they could have done this to the T's... I'll post some pics soon (unless Chris gets around to it for me )Oh and if you have directional tyres make sure they are on the right side of the car when you put them back on Steve
maximum_velocity Lemming No #5 Member 1,991 Member For: 21y 10m 15d Gender: Male Location: Endeavour Hills, Victoria Posted 20/09/05 04:56 AM Posted 20/09/05 04:56 AM Sounds great mate I think red cailpers would go very nicely with citric acid I cant wait to see some pics
Ninka Legacy Donating Member 1,850 Member For: 23y 9m 15d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 20/09/05 05:08 AM Posted 20/09/05 05:08 AM Should look good against the Citric Acid Steve!I have red PBR calipers on my Acid Rush, and they look HOT (being totally objective here :<))
rushed6 Member 137 Member For: 21y 1m 16d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 20/09/05 05:54 AM Posted 20/09/05 05:54 AM I got yellow calipers on my acid rush it didn't go to half of the f*cking around that you did it's only calipers man.
IH8TOADS Legacy Donating Member 3,618 Member For: 21y 3m 1d Gender: Male Location: OZ Posted 20/09/05 05:55 AM Posted 20/09/05 05:55 AM Gooday mate, sounds good.....did you remove the brake dust plates (hope so)!!! I understand if you didnt because of the rust they hide, but I was thinking of removing the rust somehow and painting the rusty part of the rotors black........or just buy some DBA rotors. What did you do about the rusty side of life?
Ninka Legacy Donating Member 1,850 Member For: 23y 9m 15d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 20/09/05 06:24 AM Posted 20/09/05 06:24 AM I got yellow calipers on my acid rush it didn't go to half of the f*cking around that you did it's only calipers man.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Spoken like a true expert
xrchris Member 30 Member For: 22y 5m 23d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 20/09/05 08:27 AM Posted 20/09/05 08:27 AM Caliper_Painting__018..bmpDSC01621..bmpCaliper_Painting__005..bmpCaliper_Painting__009..bmpCaliper_Painting__012..bmpCaliper_Painting__016..bmpHey Guys,Here are some pics of our Sunday effort. Yeah IH8PORK we left the dust guards off. You can see some rust from an angle but overall it looks much better.CheersCaliper_Painting__015..bmp
GlennAUII Former XT pilot Legacy Donating Member 4,791 Member For: 23y 2m 15d Gender: Male Location: The Womb Posted 20/09/05 08:47 AM Posted 20/09/05 08:47 AM I see you've painted your nails in the process lol..Mattson did his calipers red and sent me pictures last year, so I copied on dads car. Looks great imo
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 14d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 20/09/05 11:11 PM Author Posted 20/09/05 11:11 PM Here are the pics reduced for those on dialup...
Cowiesxr6t Member 249 Member For: 21y 3m 12d Gender: Male Location: Mackay Qld Posted 20/09/05 11:43 PM Posted 20/09/05 11:43 PM Hi GuysA shot of my Blueprint T with red painted calipers. CheersCowie
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now