dutchie Member 391 Member For: 22y 5m 24d Location: Somewhere Posted 20/08/05 01:26 PM Posted 20/08/05 01:26 PM Initial clicking noise is caused by the wastegate solenoid I think but after I drive away, it stops and I dont notice it for the rest of the day...........(I think)Is this normal? Does everyone have this with the Edit? Just curious......
dutchie Member 391 Member For: 22y 5m 24d Location: Somewhere Posted 20/08/05 01:34 PM Author Posted 20/08/05 01:34 PM One more thing, I have had my plugs gaped to .9mm as well.........And I only noticed this........mind you, seems to occur when I first start the car (I think)............Otherwise, everything is very smooth and nice.....
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 20/08/05 08:25 PM Posted 20/08/05 08:25 PM Yes it's the boost solenoid. It clicks all the time, if you pull up to a quiet corner and turn your stereo off you'll hear it.It reminds me of the sound my mum's old XF with buggared lifters used to make.
dutchie Member 391 Member For: 22y 5m 24d Location: Somewhere Posted 21/08/05 01:18 AM Author Posted 21/08/05 01:18 AM Yes it's the boost solenoid. It clicks all the time, if you pull up to a quiet corner and turn your stereo off you'll hear it.It reminds me of the sound my mum's old XF with buggared lifters used to make.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Adam,So this is normal then I assume........?? Sound like an old wrist watch ticking.......
Blown BA In Your Face Member 6,195 Member For: 23y 6m 24d Gender: Male Location: Peninsula Posted 21/08/05 01:27 AM Posted 21/08/05 01:27 AM Yes it's the boost solenoid. It clicks all the time, if you pull up to a quiet corner and turn your stereo off you'll hear it.It reminds me of the sound my mum's old XF with buggared lifters used to make.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Adam,So this is normal then I assume........?? Sound like an old wrist watch ticking.......<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes Marcel it's normal don't stress about it
dutchie Member 391 Member For: 22y 5m 24d Location: Somewhere Posted 21/08/05 01:30 AM Author Posted 21/08/05 01:30 AM Yes it's the boost solenoid. It clicks all the time, if you pull up to a quiet corner and turn your stereo off you'll hear it.It reminds me of the sound my mum's old XF with buggared lifters used to make.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Adam,So this is normal then I assume........?? Sound like an old wrist watch ticking.......<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes Marcel it's normal don't stress about it <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Big Fella..........starting to feel paranoid at the moment and listening to every little bitty bit of noice........Need a drink........parents coming in a minute and taking the car for a spin against my dad new Audi turbo A6.........who will faster I wonder??
Romulus Legacy Donating Member 1,279 Member For: 21y 8m 28d Location: Perth Posted 21/08/05 11:20 AM Posted 21/08/05 11:20 AM No it's not normal. Does the solenoid do it with the factory calibration? It shouldn't do. It's more like a programming glitch.Boost should be controlled with the correct tables; altering the wrong tables causes strange issues - such as solenoid click.You wouldnt accept erratic idle or poor fuel economy after an edit, neither should you accept this.
bugster70 Legacy Donating Member 1,326 Member For: 21y 5m Location: Canberra Posted 21/08/05 11:56 PM Posted 21/08/05 11:56 PM Dutchie, is your Edit quite new? I've heard that CAPA have now got updated and improved maps for their flash tuners, and I think the latest ones may have that boost solenoid click. The earlier tunes were pretty ordinary and the 10psi map resulted in surging for lots of people. The newer tunes are supposed to be far superior.I've heard of one forum member that had surging problems with the older 10psi map, so he took it to a (very reputable) tuner for a custom tune and it was modified to stop the surging and resulted in this solenoid click too. So I think it's normal for the newer tunes and nothing to worry about.
jordak Member 1,226 Member For: 22y 3m 23d Posted 22/08/05 05:09 AM Posted 22/08/05 05:09 AM No it's not normal. Does the solenoid do it with the factory calibration? It shouldn't do. It's more like a programming glitch.Boost should be controlled with the correct tables; altering the wrong tables causes strange issues - such as solenoid click.You wouldnt accept erratic idle or poor fuel economy after an edit, neither should you accept this.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you able to provide more info re "wrong" tables.It will help myself and I'm sure others when it comes to speaking with our tuners re getting rid of the problem?
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 22/08/05 06:46 AM Posted 22/08/05 06:46 AM My custom tune still results in the solenoid clicking.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now