Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 25d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Hi all, I'm new around here and have only just purchased a 2004 (Mk I) Turbo. I'm very happy with the car as it is, but have a few plans for it over the coming months and figured this would be the best place to start asking questions.

I've got LOADS of questions about edits, chips, etc, but want to keep this thread focussed on exhaust systems. I've read what I can about them on this forum and am a bit confused. Please bear in mind that I am on quite a tight budget and have plans for moderate (but not excessive) power gains in future.

So, what I want is a system that sounds better than stock (but I will not tolerate droning) and has the potential to cope with a moderate increase in power. I read a good thread by Best Mufflers on different systems and note that, in their experience, a single 3" system worked best.

I have also read, however, that the standard system is quite good and all that is needed is to replace the centre muffler (with a hot dog?) and perhaps replace the cat as well? This sounds to me like a cheaper option and is therefore attractive, but I don't want to waste money on a cheap option if it means I have to revisit this mod further down the track.

I guess my questions then are, what is the stock system like? I mean, I don't even know how big it is, whether it's single or dual pipes, etc? Someone even told me it was already stainless steel?!

Next, what would be the most cost effective option for me, remembering my requirements of better (louder) sound without droning, and the ability to cope with additional power. Is keeping the stock system but replacing the centre muffler a good way to go? What about the cat? How restrictive is this? And if it should be replaced, how much would I be looking at spending?

Or should I just replace the whole system with a single 3"?

Thanks in advance for your views, and I'll be back to post more questions I'm sure!!

  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mildura
Posted

1:get a hi flow cat, or hi-flow the existing cat..

2:Remove centre muffler or replace with a hi-flow strait through muffler such as a "Lukey Ultraflow".

3: enjoy.

the stock systems are awesome once them 2 restrictions are removed. power upto 300rwkw+ can be had for no more than that!

  • loitering with intent
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 1m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Zombie Birdhouse
Posted

:kissmy: , Try doing a search as well on any topics of interest . There is literally reams of stuff to enable you to make an informed choice.

Happy reading and good luck with yer T :tease: ... Kenny will be along shortly for the requisite induction program :tease:

  • FG Falcon fan!
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 2m 21d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

bugster,

personally the first mod Id do would be an edit or chip (eg APS Unichip or Chiptorque Xede) and custom tune for $1700 max. I wouldnt start by modding the exhaust, leave that till later. Cold air intake (CAI) possibly goes before exhaust too. Some may even suggest bigger injectors before exhaust.

cheers

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 25d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted
Happy reading and good luck with yer T :kissmy:  ... Kenny will be along shortly for the requisite induction program :tease:

Thanks, WhiteTee, I've been reading what I can and it's left me a little dazed and confused. I guess I was hoping to hear somebody say how good the stock system was and that there was no need to replace it at all (thanks Trough Lolly!!). Sounds like the centre muffler and cat is the way to go for those on a budget. Any ideas how much a hi-flow cat costs?

Induction program?! Guess I'd better take it like a man then... :tease:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 25d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Hi TurboDewd, and thanks for your input. Any reason why you suggest that path? My reasoning for starting with the xhaust was threefold. One, I want a better sound quite badly, and by doing this first I get to enjoy it right away. Second, I figured, assuming I could just replace mufflers, etc, that this would be quite a cheap option to start with. And finally, by doing it in this order, if and when I did come to the edit or chip, I wouldn't need to do a double dyno run (if I did the chip first, I'd need to dyno it to get it set up right, then dyno it again once the exhaust was done)? Have I missed something?

My plan was, in order, exhaust, CAI and hi-flow air filter, then maybe finish with a chip/edit and maybe even bigger injectors. As I said, I'm not after crazy power and may even decide to stick to the stock injectors and limit myself to an increase of 280fwkw?

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 3m 18d
Posted
Hi TurboDewd, and thanks for your input.  Any reason why you suggest that path?  My reasoning for starting with the xhaust was threefold.  One, I want a better sound quite badly, and by doing this first I get to enjoy it right away.  Second, I figured, assuming I could just replace mufflers, etc, that this would be quite a cheap option to start with.  And finally, by doing it in this order, if and when I did come to the edit or chip, I wouldn't need to do a double dyno run (if I did the chip first, I'd need to dyno it to get it set up right, then dyno it again once the exhaust was done)?  Have I missed something?

My plan was, in order, exhaust, CAI and hi-flow air filter, then maybe finish with a chip/edit and maybe even bigger injectors.  As I said, I'm not after crazy power and may even decide to stick to the stock injectors and limit myself to an increase of 280fwkw?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Filter and CAI are usually done first simply because they are cheap mods that provide noticable gains, particularly the 2nd CAI for less than $50.

I have had my edit custom tuned and have reached the flow limits of the standard exhaust (with centre muffler replaced by 2X Hotdogs) as well as the injectors.

If its only 280 -300fwkw your after, injectors and exhaust wont be an issue anyways so just get the centre muffler mod and custom edit for under 2k.

Chances are that you will want more power in time ( like most of us) in which case your on the money with leaving the edit till last so as to minimise the number of custom tunes. :laughing:

Steve

  • ASHA - Anti Stooge Hunter Association
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 16d
  • Location: Sydney Bronx :)
Posted
Hi all, I'm new around here and have only just purchased a 2004 (Mk I) Turbo.  I'm very happy with the car as it is, but have a few plans for it over the coming months and figured this would be the best place to start asking questions.

I've got LOADS of questions about edits, chips, etc, but want to keep this thread focussed on exhaust systems.  I've read what I can about them on this forum and am a bit confused.  Please bear in mind that I am on quite a tight budget and have plans for moderate (but not excessive) power gains in future.

So, what I want is a system that sounds better than stock (but I will not tolerate droning) and has the potential to cope with a moderate increase in power.  I read a good thread by Best Mufflers on different systems and note that, in their experience, a single 3" system worked best.

I have also read, however, that the standard system is quite good and all that is needed is to replace the centre muffler (with a hot dog?) and perhaps replace the cat as well?  This sounds to me like a cheaper option and is therefore attractive, but I don't want to waste money on a cheap option if it means I have to revisit this mod further down the track.

I guess my questions then are, what is the stock system like?  I mean, I don't even know how big it is, whether it's single or dual pipes, etc?  Someone even told me it was already stainless steel?!

Next, what would be the most cost effective option for me, remembering my requirements of better (louder) sound without droning, and the ability to cope with additional power.  Is keeping the stock system but replacing the centre muffler a good way to go?  What about the cat?  How restrictive is this?  And if it should be replaced, how much would I be looking at spending?

Or should I just replace the whole system with a single 3"?

Thanks in advance for your views, and I'll be back to post more questions I'm sure!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Bugster,

You mentioned you looked at the Bestmufflers website in regards to the 3" exhaust system. This is a very good system for the T, and trust me, there was alot of time and effort put into the system to develop it (I should know, all those dyno sheets you looked at on the Bestmuffler website are of my car). The single 3" system, when testing on my car, managed to hold 270rwkw before I went for the custom exhaust im currently running (quad system as you would have seen on the website). If you go anymore free flowing then the 3" system, you will find that the car will spike in boost and the power will be cut (as is shown in one of the dyno sheets). The system has a great note, not too much drone so that shouldnt be an issue, and as mentioned before, they do work. Personally my car gained 13kw at the wheels with the exhaust and air filter.

In the future, you would need to change the cat, as it is a restriction, however if your just after a system that will give you some more grunt and better sound, id suggest the bestmufflers system.

If your interested in more info PM me or give Chris a call at bestmufflers, he'll look after you.

Regs,

Dean

PS if you do a search for some of my posts, I did post up a whole write up of the exhaust systems with the dyno sheets....should be fairly simular to what you saw on the Bestmufflers site.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 25d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted
Filter and CAI are usually done first simply because they are cheap mods that provide noticable gains, particularly the 2nd CAI for less than $50.

Jordak, I probably should do a bit more background reading (which I'll endeavour to do), but in the meantime, could you please explain what a '2nd' CAI is? When I thought CAI, I was looking at something like Intune Motorsports item, which retails for $390! :spoton:

This $50 CAI option sounds MUCH more appealing! ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...