bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 11d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 12/11/06 04:55 AM Posted 12/11/06 04:55 AM So is that it Brian or is there more to come after you've enjoyed having back for a while...kind of an open ended question realy...←That's it for the engine; as for other components we'll see what breaks.
gogo Member of team Kittens Member 609 Member For: 22y 7m 12d Location: Melbourne Posted 12/11/06 05:34 AM Posted 12/11/06 05:34 AM Great stuff Brian!!!!!As always great to catch up - having been a passenger briefly in that beast I appreciate exactly what you are saying - it is truely incredable. And mind blowing to think it has more with just a reflash....looking forward to having a beer with you in jinderbyne!cheers,Ben.
DBOSS Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car Member 3,918 Member For: 23y 3m 13d Location: D SHIRE! Posted 12/11/06 05:58 AM Posted 12/11/06 05:58 AM So is that it Brian or is there more to come after you've enjoyed having back for a while...kind of an open ended question realy...←That's it for the engine; as for other components we'll see what breaks.←Now get back to Sydney so I can chopp ya
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 23y 11m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 12/11/06 06:18 AM Posted 12/11/06 06:18 AM I'm looking forward to seeing the car at the snows, especially with that suspension, brake and tyre package.Be prepared to change them over frequently, at a treadwear of 140 and the amount of power you are running I'm betting 7000km's before the first change
muzza420 Member 412 Member For: 21y 4m 14d Posted 12/11/06 06:32 AM Posted 12/11/06 06:32 AM Congrats to you and Nizpro its truely a unique ride..Muzza
2MUCHKW Member 350 Member For: 20y 5m 16d Posted 12/11/06 07:27 AM Posted 12/11/06 07:27 AM Sensational; brutal; torque monster; an attack on the senses.First driving impressions: after a drive from Melbourne to Sydney last night, arriving home at 3am, driving the car with the detuned power level of 480rwkw (running around 5lb less boost than max, and with some torque restrictions set) until strong cv’s arrive.Initially I felt very much like a fish out of water, not really having driven the Ford for 2 years, and stepping out the STi’s that I drive.It took a while to get used to the twisty roads around Healesville, but I soon got used to it The biggest problem with driving at around 100-110 is that it feels like it’s about 80kph, and you feel an innate urge to go faster. It’s a bit like a jockey pulling on the reins, when the horse just wants to bolt. It’s so boring driving like this, too easy, so cruise control was mandatory.A few quick overtaking moves, drop back to 5th, plant the right foot, look at speedo; 160kph, look at road, look back at speedo; 200; this is crazy; slam on brake and back to 100 very quickly; this car needs to go around a circuit; only there will you find what it can do. In a straight line this car would go over 300kph easy.The big turbo is definitely laggier (as always expected) than the stock turbo; looks like it makes around .5 bar at 3000 revs, 1 bar at 3500 revs and 1.5 bar at 4000 revs. The lower gearing I have helps compensate for this lag, but given the car’s natural huge torque it is never an issue. The car now runs a BA Typhoon ecu program, so independent variable cam timing is utilized to improve low down performance. But what sets this motor apart is that with the beautifully balanced billet crank (and cams), the motor spins willingly, and power is still rising at 7000 revs, and will rev to 7500 revs. A standard motor peaks power at a bit over 5000 revs. The car has 250rwkw by 3500 revs, so it has a very wide good power band of around 4000 revs. Maximum torque is in excess of 2000 NM.The new Koni suspension is very firm, so softness of the stock suspension is well and truly gone. I think my choice of tyre profile has worked extremely well. I think the usual 275/30 tyres would yield a very jarring ride, whereas the 285/35 give a lot better ride, with more sidewall. The other issue was gearing; using the 4.10 diff it was too low; the larger tyres have brought the gearing back to an effective diff ratio of 3.89, so 110kph in 6th is 2300 revs, which is the desired result.The grip of the Pirelli Corsa tyres is described by Pirelli as ultra, and I think it’s an apt description. I noted that Nizpro twin turbo Ferrari car that showed up at yesterday’s dyno day used the same tyre (295/35), so that is quite a recommendation. I have not yet lost traction, although I haven’t yet given it 100% in the lower gears. But a few quick spurts left me blurting some expletives when I got a taste of what it could do, making my quick Sti seem slow in comparision. The revs go up so fast, the noise levels even faster, it’s like there is an attack in progress. It’s awesome!Cold and hot starts are instant, which is a brilliant result for Simon, given the starting and idling issues we had trying to make the injectors work with the Motec. Simon was always confident that he could get the CAPA Edit to work. It’s just like a stocker.No overboosting. What a joy! The days of not knowing whether or not the car would cut out when overtaking, something that afflicts piggybacks like XEDE & Unichip, are well and truly gone.Clutch will take some practice getting used, as will being able to change gears faster …. the lament of most T56 owners.Thanks Nizpro, Simon & Dave you have put in a huge effort.Brian←Hey Brian,Great to hear that your cars so awesome to drive now its fully sorted with all drivability issues resolved engine wise I would love to get Simon to duplicate your engine and put it in my new F6 but a theres a large unknown of the capability of the ZF auto @ your power level.Me thinks you should upgrade to a new BF F6 ZF auto & transplant your engine, suspension & wheels - purely for ZF strenght testing R&D Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on how much fun you car is to drive :3some: CheersJustin
xlnt6 Legacy Donating Member 350 Member For: 22y 4d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, Victoria Posted 12/11/06 09:27 AM Posted 12/11/06 09:27 AM Hey Brian,Glad you made it back OK ...... any tickets ????? Enjoy driving it again, I'm sure you'll start looking at the "smaller" things now that you have it back home. The odd change here.... a small tweak there.The funs about to begin again !!!CheersRobin.
Xtreme F6 Team Xtreme Legacy Donating Member 1,680 Member For: 21y 7m 27d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 12/11/06 09:58 AM Posted 12/11/06 09:58 AM Brian I bet your cheeks are aching from all the smiles of that orsm car of yours mate, I took mine out for a couple of hundred kms today with my 450 rwkw tune and while mine is nothing like yours and no where near as good, im still grinning mate
bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 11d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 12/11/06 10:34 AM Posted 12/11/06 10:34 AM I would love to get Simon to duplicate your engine and put it in my new F6 but a theres a large unknown of the capability of the ZF auto @ your power level.Me thinks you should upgrade to a new BF F6 ZF auto & transplant your engine, suspension & wheels - purely for ZF strenght testing R&D ←Justin,You’ll find Simon’s latest spec engine is much better, as used in Ben’s (gogo) engine.Much quieter, more responsive. 500rwkw versions with excellent response. If you want high revs you’ll need the billet crank.Hopefully we’ll get a chance to compare our engines (Ben's and mine)next week at the Jindabyne cruise. As for ZF 6-speed, I’d love for someone else to test its limits first.Brian
bcl Toughest BA Turbo Legacy Donating Member 3,408 Member For: 23y 9m 11d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 12/11/06 10:40 AM Posted 12/11/06 10:40 AM Glad you made it back OK ...... any tickets ????? Enjoy driving it again, I'm sure you'll start looking at the "smaller" things now that you have it back home. The odd change here.... a small tweak there.←No tickets. I kept to the speed limit in every small town. There were a few radar traps along the way though.Brian
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now