Superoo Member 340 Member For: 23y 11m 5d Gender: Male Posted 22/03/05 11:01 AM Posted 22/03/05 11:01 AM I'd seriously consider another T at the end of my lease if a 6 speed auto was available. Won't get my hopes up though - wouldn't surprise me to see it just in the FPV range (maybe a nice way to get the F6 back on track).
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 26d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 22/03/05 11:27 AM Posted 22/03/05 11:27 AM There are versions rated to 650nm, so they are pretty strong, alot stronger than the 4 speed BTR. Its a close ratio box so a higher diff ratio will probably be used, probably around a 2.8 ratio. <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First is waaay low for an auto at around 3.5. At least this is what I've heard????? Where's harasn when we need him?<{POST_SNAPBACK}>In my dreams Jeff, a 3.5 1st would be awesome for us that want to run the car down the 1/4, would allow the car to get "on top" of the tyres very early.Scotty<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yep, and on the strip is probably about the only time you'll see first gear used.As I understand it the box is programmed to start in second gear during "normal" driving and will only kick back to first if the throttle is mashed through about 25% or more of it's travel within 0.25 secs or some such parameters ... or if an extreme load is sensed at the torque convertor as in steep hill starts or towing heavy loads. So loading up the stall speed at the drag strip will see you getting a first gear start easy eh?
ktford FORD FORD FORD Legacy Donating Member 9,390 Member For: 23y 6m 19d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side Posted 22/03/05 11:36 AM Posted 22/03/05 11:36 AM It will with my Pineapple edit program & SSSSSS adaptionScotty
MRDOHC When in doubt ... Accelerate! Member 440 Member For: 23y 28d Location: Melbourne, Hoppers Xing Posted 22/03/05 01:03 PM Posted 22/03/05 01:03 PM still auto though I cant do it .... I knows its faster but I cant .... Ive heard something about a 7 speed merc ....isnt it getting a little outta hand ... soon its going to be like a truck 13 gearer :lol: :lol:
Lumpen Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!! Legacy Donating Member 5,181 Member For: 23y 6m 21d Gender: Male Location: The Bogan Shire Posted 22/03/05 01:31 PM Posted 22/03/05 01:31 PM Your info sounds very impressive but I cant see why ford would put a 6 speed auto in the falcon and not just a 5 speed auto. 6 speed auto sounds rare and very expensive. They would get the same marketing and popularity result out of a 5 speed auto. Really a 6 speed auto sounds to good to be true, but I do look forward to seeing it. I think such a box would be made available on the 2007 falcon, a bit early for MkIII.Remember the good old days when Pontiac had a 4 speed auto but only ever used the 2 speed, becuae if you're not going to shift it, why worry how many gears it had!Just needed one to get to cruise speed and another to sit on cruise....
Guest dc_todd Guests Posted 22/03/05 01:51 PM Posted 22/03/05 01:51 PM (edited) the reason they can do it is Jaguar already has a 6 speed box that they have been using in their xj40 and xkr-r simple inventory share, I think its just a different bellhousing and shorter tailshaft, the BA ECU just gets a shift pattern reprogram, that being said its probably easier than it sounds, as previously suggested it could prove to be expensive, but depending where they are made, there is rumour from Jag they are looking to go into mass production on the boxes and are looking for a factory, I just pray that BTR don't get it, I can't see the same quality coming from them as Jags current supplier.The boxes as fitted to the Jags are tiptronic boxes, but I can only see it being put in top line models initialy, ie, FPV fairlane and possidlby xr8 and xr6t's. rant oversorry everything in the current jag lineup offers this box with the current xkr-r pushing 553Nm through it. Edited 22/03/05 01:56 PM by dc_todd
wiresquire Member 266 Member For: 21y 10m 11d Posted 22/03/05 11:03 PM Posted 22/03/05 11:03 PM (edited) They wouldn't dare take away SSS with the new 6 speed, would they - ie just leave it as a 'normal' auto? Edited 22/03/05 11:03 PM by wiresquire
ktford FORD FORD FORD Legacy Donating Member 9,390 Member For: 23y 6m 19d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side Posted 23/03/05 01:26 AM Posted 23/03/05 01:26 AM They wouldn't dare take away SSS with the new 6 speed, would they - ie just leave it as a 'normal' auto?It (SSS) has been a massive portion of their marketing stratergy for the BA line up.Scotty
351 Member 184 Member For: 22y 2m 1d Posted 23/03/05 05:33 AM Posted 23/03/05 05:33 AM has anybody heard anything about the v8s for copperhead or will they just bend over and continue to get taken by hsv or even Expensive Daewoo
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 26d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 23/03/05 06:55 AM Posted 23/03/05 06:55 AM the reason they can do it is Jaguar already has a 6 speed box that they have been using in their xj40 and xkr-r simple inventory share, I think its just a different bellhousing and shorter tailshaft, the BA ECU just gets a shift pattern reprogram, that being said its probably easier than it sounds, as previously suggested it could prove to be expensive, but depending where they are made, there is rumour from Jag they are looking to go into mass production on the boxes and are looking for a factory, I just pray that BTR don't get it, I can't see the same quality coming from them as Jags current supplier.The boxes as fitted to the Jags are tiptronic boxes, but I can only see it being put in top line models initialy, ie, FPV fairlane and possidlby xr8 and xr6t's. rant oversorry everything in the current jag lineup offers this box with the current xkr-r pushing 553Nm through it.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ford's access to the ZF is not only via Jaguar. Ford USA are also using it in the Lincoln Navigator. It is also in Land Rovers. Rolls Royce and BMW also have them.I'm told the BMW X5 box is pretty much the version we'll be getting. Unfortunately it is the only one I can't find ratios for. The ZF 5 -speed ratios are:3.42, 2.22, 1.6, 1.0, 0.75. I think the 6 speed has the same first, fourth (becoming fifth) and top with an extra cog slotted in between the other three intermediates.However, if they go with the Jag/Navigator box we'll possibly see ratios like this:4.17, 2.34, 1.52, 1.14, 0.87, 0.69. Yes, that's right a first gear of 4.17!!! And no direct driven gear anywhere!.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now