macka'sxr6t Member 1,480 Member For: 22y 4m 9d Location: Mildura Posted 13/03/05 11:12 AM Posted 13/03/05 11:12 AM I can also not see them changing the software they usem, just because someone cracked the code, when I worked at a ford dealer a few years ago (when AUII was first released) the reflashable ECU's (ECM, whatever) were just being introduced, and I believe it is a standard software used throughout the world, and also on various mazdas, so if they changed the software, it would either mean changing the worldwide ECM's, or having a seperate flasher/diagnostic tool for just a single australian model.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you believe that well. I won't say it. Ford have their own team of programmers working on updates and software changes all the time and have a fix for future PCM's that will tell them if the PCM has been edited. Ford don't like people hacking into their PCM then having huge warranty claims coming their way.They have gone to considerable trouble with this model to prevent what has happened with the Edit, to think they won't try to stop it is fool hardy to say the least. They also change and revise the PCM continually. You will find that a PCM from a 2002 model will not work on a 2005 built car and visa versa.As I said the Edit is 99% undetectable for the present time. We will see for how much longer.macka
Guest Rota_Motor Guests Posted 13/03/05 11:25 AM Posted 13/03/05 11:25 AM heh, yes it was a long time ago, and after having my memory joged, they do list all previous updates flashed into the computer, so I was wrong.and they may update the hardware, and the software to an extent, but I dont think they will change the code they use, so a current flasher may be able to be used on upcoming models, but if the customer calls warranty, and there is any unauthorised reflashing in the memory, the warranty claim will be denied.bloody fords make thing difficult, pity you cant do like most imports and just wire up a seperate haltech/motech/wolf/microtech/insert your preferred aftermarket ECU here and tune them in real time. or maybe its more of an issue with people doing extensive modifications on a vehicle, making components work outside of their design parameters, and then trying to get repairs under warranty, but when I say that I start sounding like a car company
macka'sxr6t Member 1,480 Member For: 22y 4m 9d Location: Mildura Posted 13/03/05 12:00 PM Posted 13/03/05 12:00 PM and they may update the hardware, and the software to an extent, but I dont think they will change the code they use, bloody fords make thing difficult, <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They do both regulary and they have already made changes code to try and detect the edit process.macka
beauies Member 209 Member For: 23y 14d Gender: Male Location: sydney Posted 13/03/05 01:02 PM Posted 13/03/05 01:02 PM I had a try of plugging a mates standard computer into my car on saturday morning.It doesnt work. Car will not start not even when you leave ignition on and swap the computer.So unless you swap body control modules and or ignition barrels second computer will not work
poida97 Member 124 Member For: 22y 7m 7d Location: Bossley Park, NSW Posted 13/03/05 11:35 PM Posted 13/03/05 11:35 PM oh, was also talking to one of my nerdy friends about the reflash.. and he said if I could get the raw data out of the EPROM he could probably decompile it he said this when I mentioned how the flasher units can only be used for one vehicle at a time.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very interested to hear how your mate goes with this...Cheers,Anth.
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 22d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 14/03/05 02:35 AM Posted 14/03/05 02:35 AM Ford may not "change" their code, but they may modify it.This may not affect the use of the Edit, but you can bet it will be able to detect it.For anyone who has bought and Edit thinking Ford will not know about it, you will be W R O N G.It will only be a matter of time, if it has not already happened with the latest update.I guess you will not have to worry if you never go to Ford for service, but they will also update your PCM if you get any warranty work done.
loaded Member 77 Member For: 22y 8m 1d Location: sydney Posted 14/03/05 07:18 AM Author Posted 14/03/05 07:18 AM I had a try of plugging a mates standard computer into my car on saturday morning.It doesnt work. Car will not start not even when you leave ignition on and swap the computer.So unless you swap body control modules and or ignition barrels second computer will not work<{POST_SNAPBACK}>I guess that means I have to live with surgeing,rotten idle quality,inconsistent power delivery,stalling etc etc.Thanks for the replies.Peter
Guest Rota_Motor Guests Posted 14/03/05 11:54 AM Posted 14/03/05 11:54 AM and they may update the hardware, and the software to an extent, but I dont think they will change the code they use, bloody fords make thing difficult, <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They do both regulary and they have already made changes code to try and detect the edit process.macka<{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes, they may change the programme, to detect the edits, but they wonmt change the basic code in which it is written, so the edit tools will still be effective.which only really means if you edit your car, and start destroying the driveline, they wont give you warranty, and no offence meant to anyone, but I'm sure alot will take offence, who expects to extensively modify a vehicles power output, and try to claim warranty when standard components dont stand up to the task.
Lawsy Wanabe mechanical engineer Legacy Donating Member 960 Member For: 22y 19d Gender: Male Location: At the computer, obviously..... Posted 15/03/05 12:27 AM Posted 15/03/05 12:27 AM There is no time stamp in the Ford ECU, period.There is no way to tell whether the ECU was edited recently, or 2 years ago. Even if there system says your car has been reflashed a certain amount of times, I honestly don't think they are going to care. Ford Aus might not like the flasher, but the apprentice working on your car is most likely to not even remember what hes doing....Or even better, get your car serviced at auto one or something. They do a fantastic job, put the oil YOU WANT in the engine (at a cheaper price than buying it by the bottle) and don't have to worry about the ECU.Not only that, but the Ford warrantee is 100% in tact.Full coverage + better service at a better price.... Need I say more.
Eugene Member 670 Member For: 22y 20d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle NSW Posted 15/03/05 03:37 AM Posted 15/03/05 03:37 AM There is no time stamp in the Ford ECU, period.There is no way to tell whether the ECU was edited recently, or 2 years ago. Even if there system says your car has been reflashed a certain amount of times, I honestly don't think they are going to care. Ford Aus might not like the flasher, but the apprentice working on your car is most likely to not even remember what hes doing....Or even better, get your car serviced at auto one or something. They do a fantastic job, put the oil YOU WANT in the engine (at a cheaper price than buying it by the bottle) and don't have to worry about the ECU.Not only that, but the Ford warrantee is 100% in tact.Full coverage + better service at a better price.... Need I say more.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank goodness some one else has said it, for 6 months I have wondered why people who are stressing out about mods take thier cars to Ford, get ultratune or whoever you trust to do, your tuner for heaven sake, you trust him enough to alter you ECU etc, why not change the oil, it wont be any more expensive than letting ford do it, you know lt will be done, and maybe even by a mechanic, not an Apprentice and I doubt he will run and tell ford you have mods done.You still have a warranty, 100%, they cant take that away from you, if you need a warranty done, drop it off to them and tell them whats wrong.My car has not seen the indise of a ford service center since 3000km and I doubt it will again.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now