Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Yes I am too tall for my hair
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y
  • Location: Launceston Tasmania.
Posted

Got my 3000k service done yesterday and ive had a rather loud noise coming from the gear box its only there when idleing around under 1500 rpms but its there in all gears. I live in tassie must be the only one with a six speed they not had any 6 speed boxes in tassie apart from mine .They rang ford head office and said it is normal for the gear box to make this noise .So just wanting to know of any other problems noise etc from 6speed thanks

my wife also asked if they could fix the diff clunk to :lol: that was me rolling round on the service dept floor .service manager goes what diff clunk with a big smile on his face. :spit: said ill be back :spoton:

  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 21d
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Mines got just over 2000kms now I think, no abnormal noises while idling. But I do get a rather annoying bearing(?) noise sometimes in 2nd and a lot in 4th while pushing the car. Not much good mechanically so no idea what you'd call it, but it definately doesn't sound good. I suspect its a faulty box as these noises first showed up around 200-300kms. Not sure if I'll mention any problems to the dealer, they'll only make things worse and leave me without a car. Easier to just turn up the audio!

I've also had a few issues with the 3rd-4th change. Fast or slow, even making sure I'm doing the right footwork it will snag half way between neutral and 4th. Won't let you goto 4th at all, so go up to neutral, then into 4th (all without lifting off the clutch) and its fine.

Guest hano
  • Guests
Posted

Mines got around 3500kms on the clock and no noticable noise at low revs. Can be damn hard to change into 2nd sometimes.

Sixth has a fairly noticable vibration like it is labouring or something..... but Ford say that you can drive the thing at 60kph in 6th. Anyone else have this vibration???

  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
Sixth has a fairly noticable vibration like it is labouring or something..... but Ford say that you can drive the thing at 60kph in 6th.  Anyone else have this vibration???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That'd be around 1200 revs, and it would be labouring. Putting too much load on a tall overdrive gear with a 0.62 ratio is a good way to destroy the gears.

If you have 6 gears then use them, otherwise better to buy an auto.

Brian

Guest pasturbo
  • Guests
Posted

I have 2,500 on the clock. No idling noice but like Dave I have what sounds like a bearing noise, especially in 4th. I'm with you Dave, not sure that I will mention it because other than that noise the box feels fantastic :spoton: the changes are smooth and easy to engage. I don't use 6th under 90-100 - seems to be a bit of a struggle for the beast!!

PA

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 11m 16d
Posted

No problems with mine apart from sometimes it struggles to go into 1st from nuetral.

Fifth gear at 60 is OK but don't normally go into sixth until 80 - 90.

Guest hano
  • Guests
Posted
Sixth has a fairly noticable vibration like it is labouring or something..... but Ford say that you can drive the thing at 60kph in 6th.  Anyone else have this vibration???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That'd be around 1200 revs, and it would be labouring. Putting too much load on a tall overdrive gear with a 0.62 ratio is a good way to destroy the gears.

If you have 6 gears then use them, otherwise better to buy an auto.

Brian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I generally don't put it into 6th unless I'm doing at least 110 and even then the vibration is there.

  • Toughest BA Turbo
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 9m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
I generally don't put it into 6th unless I'm doing at least 110 and even then the vibration is there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the vibration only in 6th, or other gears as well?

In 6th, is it across the whole rev range, or a limited number of revs.

If there is an imbalance it is most likely to be felt in 6th, or the tallest gear, when the car is under the most load.

It could be a clutch harmonic problem, tailshaft, CV's etc.

I recently had a vibration, but only between 2200 & 2600 in 6th, and that was with stuffed inner CV's, and possibly a non-cushioned clutch contributed ... but not sure.

Brian

Guest hano
  • Guests
Posted

I generally don't put it into 6th unless I'm doing at least 110 and even then the vibration is there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the vibration only in 6th, or other gears as well?

In 6th, is it across the whole rev range, or a limited number of revs.

If there is an imbalance it is most likely to be felt in 6th, or the tallest gear, when the car is under the most load.

It could be a clutch harmonic problem, tailshaft, CV's etc.

I recently had a vibration, but only between 2200 & 2600 in 6th, and that was with stuffed inner CV's, and possibly a non-cushioned clutch contributed ... but not sure.

Brian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basically the vibration is present from 2000rpm (and lower) and then gets progressively better at higher speeds. Its not really noticable at 140kph.

If you have a suggestion of what to look at I would appreciate it as I'm having my 3000km service next week.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...