turb06 Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666 Member 3,667 Member For: 23y 7m 6d Location: Toowoomba Posted 04/08/04 01:35 PM Posted 04/08/04 01:35 PM Well call me a *beep* always let it warm up, didnt give it stick till after 1000k`s on the clock, never abuse it. Look more for quick acceleration than chucking burn outs. I dont like drive it like you stole as I intend to keep the car for a while.Absolutely no issues (knock on wood) 13000k`s on the clock.regardsStangFor the record my ed falcon I gave to my father inlaw the only thing I replaced in 9 years was the battery twice and an xr6 exhaust system. that's about how I did it too, didnt rev hard till after 1000km (that's what the dealer said) then after that drove it how I want, (that's what the dealer also said) I usually rev it to around the 4000-4500rpm mark on most take offs. It always gets a few minutes warmup every arvo before work and havnt had any powertrain problems.
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 23y 11m 21d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 04/08/04 10:47 PM Posted 04/08/04 10:47 PM I didn't flog it from day one, and I haven't had any issues with the engine itself.
ms700 Moderating Team 10,170 Member For: 23y 8m Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 04/08/04 10:59 PM Posted 04/08/04 10:59 PM I didn't flog it from day one, and I haven't had any issues with the engine itself. Yeah, right!
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 23y 11m 21d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 04/08/04 11:07 PM Posted 04/08/04 11:07 PM Flogging it would mean full throttle action from standstill all the time, and neglecting to change oil often enough.I never went full throttle from standstill, always progressive throttle movements to rev limiter in every gear. I also changed my oil at 3k, 7k, 15k, 22k, etc...The only driveline problem I had was my transmission, but that fault was picked up when I put it in reverse to get out of the dealers the day I picked it up.My engine didn't leak any oil, didn't blow any smoke (even at full throttle).At dyno days so many cars were blowing smoke, mine wasnt....
1ute Legacy Donating Member 195 Member For: 21y 10m Location: Canberra Posted 07/12/04 07:54 AM Posted 07/12/04 07:54 AM THURSDAY ARVO is when I pick up the T ute.Plan to drive 700km in the first week.Any ideas about running in?Swap between 4th,5th and 6th at 110kph for an hour or so do it?What did you guys do?
xrdreaming Legacy Donating Member 1,693 Member For: 23y 8m 2d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 07/12/04 08:01 AM Posted 07/12/04 08:01 AM Hi 1ute,There is a theory in the place that you should drive it like you stole it. There is a large variation in power outputs of standard cars. The ones that were given a harder time early always seem to be in the higher power brackets on the dyno.Good luck with it.
maximum_velocity Lemming No #5 Member 1,991 Member For: 21y 10m 8d Gender: Male Location: Endeavour Hills, Victoria Posted 07/12/04 08:37 AM Posted 07/12/04 08:37 AM ive always been brought up being told "run it in like you'll drive it" I have blown many motors and this seems to work as they run crisp and clean afterwards 1
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 21d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 07/12/04 08:49 AM Posted 07/12/04 08:49 AM 700km in the first week eh? What's wrong with the first night? That's how I run mine in Running in procedure is roughly set out in the handbook - have a read, (cover to cover), before you drive anywhere ... :spoton:
1ute Legacy Donating Member 195 Member For: 21y 10m Location: Canberra Posted 07/12/04 09:01 AM Posted 07/12/04 09:01 AM We have two different views..I gave my GENIII a "mild" run in to 1500km then let the taco run wild.It was one of the more powerfull one's on the dyno I guess I will do the same with the turbo.ps: Turbo6man...Don't know about you, but, me, I can't read while I'm driving..hehehehehe..
Turbo6man Legacy Donating Member 4,084 Member For: 23y 11m 21d Gender: Male Location: South Coast NSW Posted 07/12/04 10:39 AM Posted 07/12/04 10:39 AM Seems like you can't read at all ... I didn't suggest you read while driving ... I said before ...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now