Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 22y 5m 8d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

You'd almost get blisters on your feet with that sort of setup though wouldn't you?

Trent.

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 1m 2d
Posted

However, I think the twin turbo APS BOSS will be very exxy. Much better bang for buck with the modded T6 or modded Typhoon.

I also see engine room heat problems with a turbo system on a V8. I know how difficult it was/is for me to keep heat out of my engine bay with just a six and lotsa space around it - almost impossible to manage with the BOSS V8 shoehorned into the BA engine bay I would reckon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree - If your going for performance then just stick to the turbo6 - they are a proven winner. Nizpro already has "bullet proof" 1000hp packages and are working on 1350HP packages.

Also I think the phoon looks great - It looks more european than american in the way they did the body kit vs the GT.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South Coast NSW
Posted

I also see engine room heat problems with a turbo system on a V8.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

APS don't. Their current LS1 twin turbo system places the turbos on the underside of the car greatly reducing heat issues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't reduce heat issues at all - merely relocates the heat to a different area. I wouldn't like the turbos that close to the steering gear for one thing.

I also see turbo lag bigtime with turbos that far from the manifold. This can be overcome by using smaller (than ideal) turbos of course, but then this impinges on boost capability so ...

Maybe the low down lack of response from the TT LS1 won't worry the knuckledraggers because they are already accustomed to having no grunt under 3500rpm anyway. I can't see traditional Ford V8 drivers accepting it though.

Mind you, I haven't had any experience with this exact setup so am only going by what I know to be the theoretical physics of effective turbocharging.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 11m 6d
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
It doesn't reduce heat issues at all - merely relocates the heat to a different area. I wouldn't like the turbos that close to the steering gear for one thing.

You did say engine room. According to the aps site the location of their turbos on the ls1 reduces the engine bay/room dramatically.

I also see turbo lag bigtime with turbos that far from the manifold. This can be overcome by using smaller (than ideal) turbos of course, but then this impinges on boost capability so ...

Well there doesn't look to be that much piping in the images on their site, and certainly it can't be any more than the current xr6T system piping. It also has twin turbos unlike the single unit on the xr6t so lag shouldn't be more of an issue than it is on the xr6t. Torque will certainly be greater at lower rpm.

Maybe the low down lack of response from the TT LS1 won't worry the knuckledraggers because they are already accustomed to having no grunt under 3500rpm anyway. I can't see traditional Ford V8 drivers accepting it though....

9.81 second quarter doesnt sound like 'no grunt' to me. The phoon with all it's power can't even get under 14's :msm:

  • FORD FORD FORD
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side
Posted

times are not the only story to tell, up here we got an aspirated XY running 9.30's with 750hp. (it's actually on its way to a new owner in Siders)

Scotty

  • FORD FORD FORD
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Victoria Point In Brissy's eastern side
Posted

Yeah, get that Grossly Metallic Heapofsh*t talk out of here.

Scotty

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 11m
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Yeah..

I was looking forward to hearing more about peoples experience in a Typhoon.

I finally booked a time with dealer for a test drive on Thursday :spoton:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South Coast NSW
Posted
You did say engine room.

Yes, but you expanded on that with a more general statement so I answered you.

[qoute] According to the aps site the location of their turbos on the ls1 reduces the engine bay/room dramatically.

And I answerd this by saying thay have moved the heat to a different location so why are you taking us in circles? It is interesting you have NOT commented on the point about the close proximity to the steering gear which I raised. To me this is a more important item to be debating, rather than pedantics about engine bay vs general heat sinks.

Well there doesn't look to be that much piping in the images on their site, and certainly it can't be any more than the current xr6T system piping.

I wasn't talking abouit piping - I was referring to the distance between the exhaust manifold and turbo. With the turbos positioned as shown in the pic I would estimate close to three times the distance as compared to the XR6T. The heat loss of the exhaust gasses over this distance is going to have quite a measureable effect on the efficiency of the turbo.

It also has twin turbos unlike the single unit on the xr6t so lag shouldn't be more of an issue than it is on the xr6t. Torque will certainly be greater at lower rpm.

Two turbos doesn't equate to less lag in this type of installation which does not use sequential boosting. You really need to do some reading on the physics of turbos to better understand what you are arguing about. It may well have more torque at lower RPM than the T6, but it is due to engine displacement and not the efficiency of the turbo system. I would expect the T6 turbos to be spooling much sooner, but of course the larger engine is ALWAYS going to have the numbers in the end.

9.81 second quarter doesnt sound like 'no grunt' to me. The phoon with all it's power can't even get under 14's  :spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again you have taken my post out of context. I was referring to the lag in this system and linking that with the lack of grunt the NA GenIIIs have below 3500RPM. I don't dispute the engine can produce good numbers and the car has great times. This doesn't make it a good road car "per see". As for the Typhoon times, I believe the times published so far are a crock. Motor has apparently taken Ford's direction on what times to publish. Wheels recorded lower times than previous for the V8s they tested the Typhoon against and said they had difficulty getting off the line esp in the Typhoon. But their rolling accelleration times clearly show the Typhoon is in a separate class to the V8s tested. On the road neither would see the Typhoon for smoke ...

  • F6+300+
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 25d
  • Location: In The Ute
Posted

WTF?????????

Why are we comparing Apples to Oranges here when this thread started out about an awesome drive in a “Stock” Typhoon?

The typhoon is a STOCK standard vehicle off the showroom floor for $58k and the LS1 TT is a totally modified vehicle and closer to $100K when done.

Let’s shove another $42K up the typhoon ass and see how quick it is?????????

Be Real! Compare apples to apples and besides wasn’t this thread about the enjoyment citric acid xr6t had on his test drive?

Besides I though the mention of an LS1 meant an instant one month ban on this site??

Bugger I was wrong again………. :spoton: well it should be :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...