Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Went to Bryan Byrt Ford at Mt Gravatt today as I had a test drive booked in a GT. Thought I would check out the changover price to a series 1 GT as the dealers are willing to actually deal on these at the moment.

What did I see in the showroom a Shockwave Typhoon, they just took delivery of it yesterday. Took the GT for a run and the aural pleasure is great was not very impressed with the actual accelaration, it actually feels better in my T when the turbo spools up.

Got back to the showroom and I thought I would ask the question.... can we take the phoone for a drive... sure said the salesman. Well guys and gals as molly used to say "do yourselves a favour" if you ever get the chance to drive one of these brutes do so they are an awsome car to drive. 6 speed manual is so much fun. All up we were out in it for about 30 minutes best fun I have had in a car for a long time.

*beep* the GT I now have all the financials on a phoon and will be contacting my lease company at 8:30am, I think that is when they open, on Monday morning I just gotta have one of these in Rapid.

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Former XT pilot
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 2m 10d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: The Womb
Posted

hahaha Good work greg :spoton:

Guest wrx365
  • Guests
Posted

I am wondering if you had driven the 6 speed GT or the Auto, because my impressions of the phoon are quite the opposite.

I also test drove a F6 and the GT back to back today, just came back from the dealer in Sydney. I went there with the hope of purchasing the phoon but came away very disappointed in the car and now most likely buying the GT. The GT is one hell of a car in the six speed. Its funny how we came away fwith totally different opinions.

After reading all the articles on the F6 in various magazines and the numerous comments in this forum on its performance times I was eager to see for myself how the car really performed. Like most people I expected a car with 550NM from a low 2000rpm to be faster than it is. Sorry to say the times they are posting for the F6 in the magazines are correct. The car definitely does not feel faster than the new GT and am very surprised that the Phoon has more torque than the GT (unless the car I was driving had a problem).

There are few things, for me anway, I had problems with in the car.

1. The car is not easy to launch (surprising considering the claimed torque from 2000 rpm) - might explain the 400m tinmes.

2. Too much turbo lag for my liking - the car does not spool quicker enough. This is where the GT is great, in normal city driving the GT is a much a better drive.

3. To really enjoy the phoon and really get it moving you have to build up speed and sustain it, which is quite difficult with our speed limits. To enjoy it you really have to drive it on a race track.

4. The front end suspension was too soft for my liking. It is definitely softer than the GT.

5. The phoon is not that much different than the XR6T. I actually did a quick check of the acceleration times between the phoon and XR6T MK11 as tested in Wheels magazine and there is nothing in it, both cars did 80-120Km/h in 3.8seconds (3rd gear) and 4.7 sec/4.9sec respectively (4th gear).

As I am looking at buying a new car I have driven many performance cars over the last few months with the GT one of the best, it sounds fantastic, goes hard in all gears and rides great.

I am sure some people will like the phoon, but I don't believe it will be a proven success for FPV. It is not that much better than the XR6T and not as quick as the GT. Its stuck in the middle of nomans land.

  • Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 11d
  • Location: D SHIRE!
Posted

TYPHOON in shockwave YUMMY :gooff:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

Yes unfortunately the Gt I drove was an Auto but as I pointed out, to me it did not seem to go much harder than my own T also an auto. I have always wanted a GT Falcon ever since the 60's but could never afford one so it has always been my dream car. After today this has now changed.

I am not interested in 1/4 mile times I only want something which is enjoyable to drive. Where we went today was a bit of driving through the suburbs, some highway driving and a "private" road. To me I had much more fun in the Phoon the accelaration from it once the turbo had spooled up was awsome. much better than my stock T. I had a grin from ear to ear the whole time. This was the salesmans first run in one today too, he was as impressed as I was.

Shockwave was nice but I do not think the wheels suit the darker colours but that is just my opinion. I think one of these in Rapid would look awsome.

For me I love the phoon if others love the GT then that is also good as long as its a ford and we are all happy.

  • Firm Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 2d
  • Location: Adelaide Hills
Posted
Shockwave was nice but I do not think the wheels suit the darker colours but that is just my opinion. I think one of these in Rapid would look awsome.

For me I love the phoon if others love the GT then that is also good as long as its a ford and we are all happy.

FWIW l reckon the F6 needs to be in darker colours as the wheels look terrible in lighter colours, very aftermarket looking. Seen an F6 in Rapid last weekend and it didnt look at all good. Maybe Vixen would be a good in between colour.

Its a pity the f6 has been nobbled to keep the GT relevant, imagine what it could have been :blush:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 11m 7d
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

GT 6 Speed is the go. Then fit the APS twin turbo kit to it when it's released next year :blush:

Guest wrx365
  • Guests
Posted

I have also driven the GT auto and there is a definitely a difference between the 6 speed and auto. I agree with you that 1/4 miles aren't everything but they do indicate the characterstics of the car. In the Phoon for me, you really have to fang it to get the best out of it.

In your hands it is probably a fantastic car to drive. Good luck with your purchase.

Tomorrow I will be negotitaing hard for a 6 speed GT.

  • Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 11d
  • Location: D SHIRE!
Posted

Tomorrow I will be negotitaing hard for a 6 speed GT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Expect to get eaten by turbo powered fords on a regular basis then :ermm:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 11m 7d
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
Tomorrow I will be negotitaing hard for a 6 speed GT.

Expect to get eaten by turbo powered fords on a regular basis then :spoton:

Expect that to change dramatically when the twin turbo system is released for the boss next year :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...